Has anybody added a cyclops to a CW?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
miket-nyc

Has anybody added a cyclops to a CW?

Post by miket-nyc »

I've been alternating wearing my 38 mm Christoper Ward C 60 Trident GMT and my 1983-vintage Rolex Submariner, and I have to say that for most purposes I like the Trident better. The dial is bigger (even though the case is 2 mm smaller), the fat minute hand coming to a sharp point is easier to see quickly than the Submariner's skinny hand, the clasp for the bracelet is superior in design and construction, and the bezel is MUCH easier to turn with wet hands, which I do a lot because I swim laps and use my watches to time them. (Disclaimer: my Submariner is 36 years old and some of these faults may have been improved).

But the CW is very inferior in its date window, which I have a hard time seeing without a cyclops. I know there's a controversy over whether these are good or bad (or even whether dive watches should have a date -- Rolex splits the difference and makes the Submariner both ways). But I like a date and want to see it, and the Rolex cyclops magnifies the date about 2 1/2 times, which is ideal.

So has anybody tried putting a cyclops on the CW? I know Otto Frei and others sell them, and they can be glued on a watch crystal with UV hardening epoxy, but I'd hate to screw up the size, the magnification, the placement, or the neatness of installation. If anybody has done this, I'd appreciate hearing about what you did (it and seeing pictures, if possible).

Mike Taglieri
Gasman
Senior
Senior

Re: Has anybody added a cyclops to a CW?

Post by Gasman »

I don’t like cyclops for me it messes up the dial. Why do you need a date anyway? I take it you have a phone so if you’re really stuck for the date you can always check that.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Korkki
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Korkki »

Cyclops :shock:
To a Trident :shock: :shock:

:erschreckt:

I’ll get me coat :escape:
NO PARKING
This space is reserved
miket-nyc

Post by miket-nyc »

Thegreyman wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:47 pm I think it has been done

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34063&p=492894&hili ... ps#p492894
Thanks. Yours was the only non-snarky reply.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Each to his own, but I too like the cyclops. It works well and is distinguishing.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

If it works for you and makes the piece more usable, go for it. People "mod up" watches all the time for a lot less meaningful reasons. :thumbup:
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight