38mm C60 GMT

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Porky12

38mm C60 GMT

Post by Porky12 »

Just received my 38mm C60 GMT, On CWs website it states that this size has the ETA 2893-2 movement, and the 42mm has the Selita SW300, however the instruction booklet that came with the watch says that both sizes have the Selita SW300, I have sent an email to customer services at CW asking them to clarify this, I have just checked the website again and it confirms as above 38mm ETA, 42mm Selita, I do like the watch and it will be considered by some to be splitting hairs, but I think this is very poor, I know the movements are probably very similar if not identical, but to advertise as one movement and then deliver with another I think at this level, or any level to be frank is unacceptable, this only my second CW but I am losing the faith. Awaiting a reply!
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Re: 38mm C60 GMT

Post by DEV.Woulf »

I think as the ETAs dried up they've switched completely to Sellita. That must have been a webpage mistake. It personally wouldn't bother me, but I can understand your concern. The text was probably not updated when the relaunch happened.
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Bar a few exceptions, CW have always taken an "either/or" approach to ETA and Sellita movements and used whichever is more freely available at the time. So for most of their watches you never really know which movement brand is inside. And that ought to be fine, really, as the movements are practically identical and built to the same specs/quality.

But it does sound as though they've got a bit sloppy with some of the wording in manuals and on the website, so it's good that you've pointed this out to them so they can fix it.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Porky12

Post by Porky12 »

I've only just started with my interest in watches, so it may seem daft but I wanted a watch with an ETA movement because I have read that they will become increasingly difficult to get hold of, I realize it matters little where the watch is concerned, but it is not a good indicator for me for Cw in general, I would not consider it a small detail, I think it should be advertised correctly, thank you for your thoughts on this.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

This from the website for the C60 Trident GMT 600 ...

In the new C60 Trident GMT 600, the upgraded DNA of our Trident 3 range has been given a global twist. With a 24-hour bezel and ETA 2893-2 or Sellita SW330 dual-time movement

Under the individual sizes it states as you mention.

The manual that I have (an early one) states 2893 for both. I think it is a case that initially all were intended to be the 2893 and now we are at either /or. as they been for many years. The transition has caused the waters to be muddied a bit. Either way the movements are equal and your warranty is the same.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Porky12

Post by Porky12 »

I agree with all that you have said, I just think it should be made clear and advertised correctly, which as you mention it is not at the moment, I am not sure if I will keep or return as yet, it just gives me a bad feeling and no confidence in the brand, if it had been advertised as one of the other i would not have any problem, thanks for your thoughts.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Porky12 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:38 pmI am not sure if I will keep or return as yet, it just gives me a bad feeling and no confidence in the brand, if it had been advertised as one of the other i would not have any problem.
How's your bezel action? :shock: :lol:
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
Porky12

Post by Porky12 »

Not tried it yet, keeping it wrapped as it came until I decide to return of not!
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

CW really needs to sort out these niggling little issues if they want to compete with the big boys. They have just launched a watch that costs more than a Speedmaster but still have website copy that would suggest they are selling $300 Chinese watches. Same can be said of the CS issues as of late. It's...disappointing. I really want CW to succeed at whatever level they choose to compete, but the website, QC and after sales service need to be commensurate with the price point they are trying to compete at. At the moment they have a lot to work to do to be perceived as a high-end company, but are already selling these high-end pieces.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Porky12

Post by Porky12 »

Thanks Lavaine, I agree, I know it makes little difference to the watch, but I really think the watch should come with the movement that is clearly stated on there website, looking between the 42 mms and the 38 mms there is no mention at all of two different movements being possible, I realize this seems really fussy on my part but it just gives me a bad feeling about the brand, and that's a shame because I was really pleased with my first CW purchase. I am reluctant to buy again now though.