Introducing the C65 Military Range - Dartmouth / Sandhurst / Cranwell

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Blackdog
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Re: Introducing the C65 Military Range - Dartmouth / Sandhurst / Cranwell

Post by Blackdog »

Sooooo..... I guess the twin-flag "device" was left out of the Military Collection because it didn't quite work "considered all other aspects of the design"....
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

Never been a big fan of military designs, but I kinda like the Dartmouth. But to get the right effect out of that dial design I think it needs the 3-6-9 numerals...
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

Forgive me if I have missed this, but where did the red on the seconds hand on the Sandhurst come from? Seems completely unnecessary, out of place, and IMHO, a little distracting. Aside from that, I like it.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

Blackdog wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:10 pm Never been a big fan of military designs, but I kinda like the Dartmouth. But to get the right effect out of that dial design I think it needs the 3-6-9 numerals...
^^^What he said^^^
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

I think the Sandhurst is a definite winner. I'm not sure if one will make it into my hands, as at that price point (which is very good for a COSC watch), it is competing with more than a few other watches for my attention.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Rice and Gravy
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by Rice and Gravy »

watchaholic wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:48 pm
Blackdog wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:10 pm Never been a big fan of military designs, but I kinda like the Dartmouth. But to get the right effect out of that dial design I think it needs the 3-6-9 numerals...
^^^What he said^^^
I have one of these on pre-order and the more I look at the real world pictures posted from this weekend, I am tending to agree with this. There end up being an awful lot of hash marks on the face and bezel and becoming almost too busy. The I look at my SMP, which is very similar, and it's fine. But then do I need another watch so similar to my SMP, only blue. Maybe... But yes, the 3/6/9 would have looked great, maybe too close to 1:1 with the big Triangle original though?
Omega SMP 2254.50
Omega Aqua Terra 8900 Blue
Christopher Ward C60 Trident 300 White
Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date
Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by what-time-is-it »

The three new military models all have no date, but seem to have a SW200 movement which has a date complication?
Is this a case of it has a date but it's hidden, or is this a website error?
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

surely it just means that a date wheel has not been used on the movement.... right?
does this mean it will have a ghost position when its pulled out into position one?
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by what-time-is-it »

Gut feeling is it has a date, just not visible! :silent:
I'm sure somebody will ask and clarify.

Technical info from Sellita http://www.sellita.ch/scripts/calibres/ ... 0-1_39.pdf
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

I was wondering about the date wheel myself.
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
Rice and Gravy
Expert
Expert

Post by Rice and Gravy »

golfjunky wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:17 pm surely it just means that a date wheel has not been used on the movement.... right?
does this mean it will have a ghost position when its pulled out into position one?
Yes, I believe so. :problem:
Omega SMP 2254.50
Omega Aqua Terra 8900 Blue
Christopher Ward C60 Trident 300 White
Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date
Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Thegreyman wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:55 pm Good looking watches, for me the Sandhurst appeals the most then probably the Cranwell.

I'm not a massive fan of the Seamaster 300 upon which the Dartmouth is based and agree that the dial looks a bit busy.

Some great new releases though this month. Luckily the latest Loupe dropped through my letterbox just as I was leaving the house so I can swot up in advance of Saturday.
Well having tried these on at the GTG, it shows how first impressions can be wrong. I thought the 38mm Sandurst felt quite small on the wrist, albeit I was taking off a 44mm Panerai to try it on, even then I think it felt a little small. The Cranwell on the other hand at 41mm felt like the bezel was a little too wide, like it had been stretched to get it to 41mm. The Dartmouth, that I initially favoured the least, actually I really liked on the wrist. The face is a lovely dark blue and it wore very well on the bracelet. Perhaps my impression of the first two would have been different if they too were on a bracelet which I believe will be available.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

Rice & Gravy wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:09 pm ... But yes, the 3/6/9 would have looked great, maybe too close to 1:1 with the big Triangle original though?
Well, I don't think so... Not using MOD hands on an MOD inspired watch is already a huge departure...
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

golfjunky wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:17 pm surely it just means that a date wheel has not been used on the movement.... right?
You could just use a dial with no opening, but the date wheel will still "click" when it changes every 24Hs and when it is manually advanced in position 1 of the crown.
Removing the date wheel is enough to completely avoid the "click". But, indeed, you will have a ghost crown position. This can be corrected if you also replace the setting lever jumper in the keyless mechanism with one from an ETA 2801 (or whatever the Sellita equivalent is)...

Most manufacturers just remove the date wheel. If CW also mods the keyless that would mean real attention to detail. :thumbup:
RustyinRochester
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by RustyinRochester »

I like them all and after sitting out several years of the NEW logo placement, it appears the logo return at 12 o'clock is exactly what has been missing.
"In comic strips, the person on the left always speaks first."
-George Carlin