Is C11 a good CW starter

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Gasman
Senior
Senior

Is C11 a good CW starter

Post by Gasman »

Do you think a C11 is a good starter watch. It covers both watches I like Bell & Ross and Panerai Radiomir
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Is C11 a good CW starter

Post by FloridaPhil »

The C11 was my first CW. It does wear quite large due to the long lug to lug length. But, if you like the style, it's a nice entry point without dropping the kind of money required for a B&R.

I have a 7 1/8" wrist and you can see where the lugs are in this pic. That was the sole reason I flipped it.

c11.jpg
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

A C11 'Black Manta' was my first CW some years ago (sorry no photo) and I have had several other C11s since then.

Sadly none currently.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

C11, like Florida Phil’s is 80% Bell and Ross and 20% Panerai in similarity to my eye
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
lisnalee
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by lisnalee »

I've owned 2 over the the years. The Mercedes Benz owners version and the vintage lume pvd one.

Both sold on as the square case does wear rather large, feels like a 44m watch the black pvd one, less so but still too big for me.

I did love the large sword hands on them though!

C7 Rapide Day-Date COSC LE #10/100
C60 Trident Elite 1000 COSC LE #50/300
C1 Grand Malvern Small Second COSC
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by johnnysharp2 »

I think they are a great place to start, especially the older styles, here is mine.

Johnny
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I had a C11 Elite which I sold. I liked the look but it was uncomfortable on my 6.75" wrist. The lume was also pretty bad. Comfort issues aside, it was a fun watch to wear and always made me smile when I wore it. They are older watches and almost all will be out of warranty or in need of a service. If you love the look go for it but check the condition carefully.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Andy-Smith
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 15

Post by Andy-Smith »

Great watches, I have 4 of them. Look lovely especially on a bracelet. Johnny great bracelet on yours.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Gasman wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:48 pm Do you think a C11 is a good starter watch. It covers both watches I like Bell & Ross and Panerai Radiomir
I’m always fascinated by this type of question, because there is no really clear-cut answer. The best thing is to ask yourself what, in your own opinion, would be the features that made up a good “Starter Watch”, because I don’t actually believe that there is any such thing. If you like the size, style and function then it’s good...for YOU.

It’s one of those “How long is a piece of string?” questions. Or, to use a more subtle example, “If I start at the North Pole and go to South for 3000 miles, where will I end up?” And, of course, it all depends which meridian you were facing down to begin with.

Your second sentence really answers the question for you. It is clearly a style you like, so it would make a good choice. If you were looking for something that resembled a Calatrava, it would probably be a pretty rubbish choice.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by johnnysharp2 »

Gasman wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:48 pm Do you think a C11 is a good starter watch. It covers both watches I like Bell & Ross and Panerai Radiomir
Is there a specific watch you have seen?
Johnny
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

No, if you have to ask the opinions of others it is not the right watch for you. You will know when the right one comes along and you won't have to ask anyone what they think. If your finances are such that it's a fun beater watch, then it's not so important.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

The C11 Makaira was my first Automatic watch. I still own and love it. I used to admire the MSL version but could never pull the trigger until they were being cleared out in 2015. I had Wera put a vintage C8 Regulator strap on instead of those ugly tan straps they came with. Of all the CW watches I own, it's the only one that blew me away when I opened the package. It looked WAY better in person than in the pictures. It's not loud but it's so damn cohesive and sexy! I can't see myself selling it. :D

It fits my wrist so good and is more comfortable than the Makaira. I also bought a rare bracelet in 2018. It was a PVD Makaira bracelet (which you can buy here). That's gonna be a lot of fun and change the whole look of the watch. I remember people going crazy on the hunt for third-party bracelets and hoping CW would make some official ones. I don't know why they released the batch so late after discontinuation? :o
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
redmonaco
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by redmonaco »

That strap looks very cool!

My prob is not being able to find a c11 on the second hand market... :0(
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by johnnysharp2 »

Quite common to see C11s on eBay, often (surprisingly), in newish condition.

Sales forum on here is always worth keeping an eye on too.
Johnny
Gasman
Senior
Senior

Post by Gasman »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:56 am
I’m always fascinated by this type of question, because there is no really clear-cut answer. The best thing is to ask yourself what, in your own opinion, would be the features that made up a good “Starter Watch”, because I don’t actually believe that there is any such thing. If you like the size, style and function then it’s good...for YOU.

It’s one of those “How long is a piece of string?” questions. Or, to use a more subtle example, “If I start at the North Pole and go to South for 3000 miles, where will I end up?” And, of course, it all depends which meridian you were facing down to begin with.

Your second sentence really answers the question for you. It is clearly a style you like, so it would make a good choice. If you were looking for something that resembled a Calatrava, it would probably be a pretty rubbish choice.
I understand your point but one of the responses to my question could be. It looks nice but breaks down every 2 weeks and they are short of parts to repair it. Then even if I liked the watch I can make a judgement call as to buy or not