How many CW watches do you own

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: How many CW watches do you own

Post by nbg »

smegwina wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:37 am Blimey, you lot are bordering on insane!!!!!!

Like Mikkei, I have a lot less than most on here!!

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Good afternoon Pinocchio! :D

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

Was up to 12, currently at 6, shortly to be cut to somewhere between 1to 3.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
doc1

Post by doc1 »

1 CW (C20 Lido Automatic FLE) which I thought I had lost on multiple moves but recently reunited, hence the return to the forum to see what's up.
1 1950's Omega for very special occasions
1 modern Omega
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by EddieTheBeast »

doc1 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:27 pm 1 CW (C20 Lido Automatic FLE) which I thought I had lost on multiple moves but recently reunited, hence the return to the forum to see what's up.
1 1950's Omega for very special occasions
1 modern Omega
Wow you average one post every three years! You really must get out less!! :lol:
Dean
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

smegwina wrote:Blimey, you lot are bordering on insane!!!!!!

Yes Nick, but you have countless watches stored away in your attic. You remember - the ones you keep forgetting you own... ;)
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Qubo
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Qubo »

Was up to 6, currently at 2.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Qubo wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:14 am Was up to 6, currently at 2.
Just an observation, having myself been in this position before. There are of course some notable exceptions within the forum, but it sometimes strikes me that CW watches don’t necessarily or always form the core of a keeper collection.

Is this, I wonder, related to the hitherto relatively short shelf life of a lot of models or iterations of a model? As an example, after only 10 years we are on the third version of the C60 Trident, probably the best seller. The C11 came in around 2011 and was gone three or four years later.

I think an important step in the future will be to evolve a watch, or a number of watches, that remain on sale pretty much unchanged for a much longer period. Think Speedmaster Moonwatch, Explorer or Submariner.

Any views?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:29 am
Just an observation, having myself been in this position before. There are of course some notable exceptions within the forum, but it sometimes strikes me that CW watches don’t necessarily or always form the core of a keeper collection.

Is this, I wonder, related to the hitherto relatively short shelf life of a lot of models or iterations of a model? As an example, after only 10 years we are on the third version of the C60 Trident, probably the best seller. The C11 came in around 2011 and was gone three or four years later.

I think an important step in the future will be to evolve a watch, or a number of watches, that remain on sale pretty much unchanged for a much longer period. Think Speedmaster Moonwatch, Explorer or Submariner.

Any views?
Wholeheartedly agree Steve.
Nothing worse than buying a watch only for it sometime later to be “discontinued”. You feel as if you have an outdated watch/parts no longer available.
However, far better owning an evolving model. Your model/reference number may no longer be made but still feels current somehow i.e Submariner. The parts are also infinitive.
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Interesting point, Paul.

I suspect that one of the longest production runs, if not THE longest, was that achieved by the original C5 Mk I . It first went on sale in June 2005, and the Mk II version was not released until July 2012.

Personally, I always thought the second version much less attractive than the first. The same was also true for me of its chronograph counterpart the C3.

The newer dress watch cases are much nicer, though I feel that the dials and movement decoration are perhaps somewhat bland by comparison with the original C5.

17DF80CB-7391-4CB1-A4A4-7C1B061D16DA.jpeg
51A187B3-9AC0-42FA-AC88-056F53C6FBF1.jpeg
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

nbg wrote:
smegwina wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:37 am Blimey, you lot are bordering on insane!!!!!!

Good afternoon Pinocchio! :D

Neil
How dare you sir!!!!! Image

smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by smegwina »

gaf1958 wrote:
smegwina wrote:Blimey, you lot are bordering on insane!!!!!!

Yes Nick, but you have countless watches stored away in your attic. You remember - the ones you keep forgetting you own... ;)
The ones in the attic don't count!!!!

gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

smegwina wrote:The ones in the attic don't count!!!!
So... in the same way that eating food when no-one sees you eat it, then no calories are consumed? ;)
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Qubo
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Qubo »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:29 am

Any views?
My $0.02 here:

For me CW was the introduction to better quality mechanical watches, so as I caught the bug I bought a few as they represent good designs at great value. As I learned about the bigger watch world and also got the better understand my own preferences (building on the experience of wearing different styles/case sizes/materials etc), my initial CW purchases have (had) a relatively high turnover rate. That saying, this is all about my personal development as a watch wearer and has nothing to to with indeed the (too) many CW models/iterations. I think they are rightly so refocusing their range and build more (brand) continuity beyond "the cheapest most expensive watches in the world"; they don't have to cater for everything to everyone. For many, I'd expect that those CW's that remain are truly "core" watches. While my CW counter stands at 2, I do look out for what will happen with the new 38/40mm C60 range.
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Bought 3, currently own 0.

I came to CW initially to fill a GMT gap in my collection; below my Omega, above Seiko and sort of alongside Hamilton.

Subsequently, I’ve embarked upon an affair with Tudor and to a lesser extent Oris. As a consequence I’ve been selling off other watches this year and that has included my CW’s.

Somebody made an observation that CW is possibly a transition brand and that would appear to have a ring of truth about it for a number of forumites.

I’ll possibly buy again but not at the high prices being announced for some models recently. I could also be interested in a 40mm C60 GMT...
Tim
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by smegwina »

gaf1958 wrote:
smegwina wrote:The ones in the attic don't count!!!!
So... in the same way that eating food when no-one sees you eat it, then no calories are consumed? ;)
Atta boy. Image