Paint has come off He valve, Elite 1000

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Zygote23

Re: Paint has come off He valve, Elite 1000

Post by Zygote23 »

Twan-Sloot wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:51 pm
Zygote23 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:23 pm I've only been about the forum for a short while but I'm pretty certain I'll be not be opting for a CW anytime soon.
Well, I agree with you that it hasn’t been too positive on the forum lately, but that’s a little inherent to a forum where customers come to point out something is wrong, I truly like my elite 1000, I also have a Hamilton from the same price range, My hamilton Offers me way less for the money, no chronometer, no titanium no ceramic or anything like that, besides that I think the case of the new c60 especially the elite 1000 is spectacularly refined compared to cases in the same price range.

My CW has felt like a more expensive watch to me than for instance my Hamilton, that might be personal preferences but to me it has.

Does this take away my issue with the paint, No it does not, that’s just not good.
Does this issue make the elite 1000 a bad watch I don’t think so either, just a small issue on an otherwise perfect watch.

And I will see what CS will have to say about it.
For me it is very simple; one click and they have my money. I then must await delivery. If I detect anything untoward I can return to CS for what would appear to be a long wait. That is just not on in my book.

As for the He valve...probably completely unnecessary but if it's been supplied with black lettering then said lettering should at the very least still be there after only a few months!

I just wouldn't cope with all the stress (thats just me BTW lol) so I will avoid for the moment.
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

I’m liking the friendly nature of this thread but paint infill falling out of lettering is a cheap watch fault, not a fault that should be remotely acceptable on an expensive watch. Now the OP is faced with waiting for the ‘H’ to relinquish its paint, picking it out himself or sending it back and being without his watch for the time it takes to get the fault remedied and the watch returned. None of those options are acceptable for a watch costing as much as the Elite 1000 does.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

At least with the rarity of the watch, if it were sent back for repair, it's unlikely the OP would receive someone else's in return.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

jtc wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:45 am At least with the rarity of the watch, if it were sent back for repair, it's unlikely the OP would receive someone else's in return.
This is a very positive view...going to help me enjoy my day while I wait for my watch to arrive.
SimonCB
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by SimonCB »

It wouldn't bother me. I'd just wait until the H fell off and nobody would be the wiser. Nobody else would notice, or care, anyway.

I like to think watches (not just CW but all brands) leave their respective factories in perfect condition. The knocks and scrapes they get when they're worn (as well as small bits of paint just falling off), it all adds to an individual watch's character.

If there was a genuine fault with any of my watches, I'd send it back immediately (in fact I did just that with my Yema Superman Heritage). But small cosmetic issues caused by wear and tear..? It all adds to the watch, it gives it wabi.
Dynamite_Kid19
Expert
Expert

Post by Dynamite_Kid19 »

Not sure if someone mentioned this bit is it actually painted or a cover to keep the cases from banging together? I have a watch that looked like it had blue on the logo of the crown but it was just there in case parts hit each other so they didn't scratch and it came right off.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

^ I'm not sure that I understand Dynamite_Kid19's question/explanation even though I've read it several times. I've assumed that the He letters are either raised above or indented into the level of the valve (I can't see which from the photos available) and therefore they are below the level of the outer black ring around the valve so I can't picture how they could be a cover to stop cases banging together. So they are just painted ?

If I've mis-read or I'm just being stupid please explain this to me more.
lisnalee
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by lisnalee »

The letters are definitely engraved into the valve cover then painted black.
C7 Rapide Day-Date COSC LE #10/100
C60 Trident Elite 1000 COSC LE #50/300
C1 Grand Malvern Small Second COSC
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

Not sure why they’ve got valves.
1 in 5 would probably leak anyway. :lol:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
lisnalee
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by lisnalee »

Essex Paul wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:44 pm Not sure why they’ve got valves.
Only 1 :lol: :lol:

The only water mine has seen is the bottom of the sink since I got it back in June. Ibiza in October will be the first time it's sees anything deeper, fingers crossed it survives.
C7 Rapide Day-Date COSC LE #10/100
C60 Trident Elite 1000 COSC LE #50/300
C1 Grand Malvern Small Second COSC
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

lisnalee wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:54 pm
Only 1 :lol: :lol:

The only water mine has seen is the bottom of the sink since I got it back in June. Ibiza in October will be the first time it's sees anything deeper, fingers crossed it survives.
Crossing my fingers for you! :shock:
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Are you referring to the watches or the valves?

Either way a rather presumptuous statement, even in jest, imo. You are essentially suggesting that the WR rating in invalid and/or the HE valves are defective at a 20% failure rate. CW does not build the HE valve and there has been only 1 recall for potentially defective valves that I know of and that was on the C11 Elite 5 years ago. I can only recall 2 instances of WR failure in the past 10+ years. Even with the real and perceived CS/QC issues of recent months, I seriously doubt there has been a 20% failure rate.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

Kip wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:49 pm
Are you referring to the watches or the valves?

Either way a rather presumptuous statement, even in jest, imo. You are essentially suggesting that the WR rating in invalid and/or the HE valves are defective at a 20% failure rate. CW does not build the HE valve and there has been only 1 recall for potentially defective valves that I know of and that was on the C11 Elite 5 years ago. I can only recall 2 instances of WR failure in the past 10+ years. Even with the real and perceived CS/QC issues of recent months, I seriously doubt there has been a 20% failure rate.

Watches/valves, whatever.
Only joking Kip. Don’t take it to heart.
Fair enough maybe 1 in 10 then.
Just seems in the current climate they’ll be some disappointed people.
There will be leakages if build quality/QC hasn’t changed. :thumbup:
C65 Trident Diver Blue
tempus fugit
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by tempus fugit »

Sorry if I have missed in the above posts, but isn't the paint ALSO coming off around 2 o clock and 6 o clock, on the ring around the HE? Might be the light, but if not, then this is far more serious and aesthetically-unpleasing than 'just' the paint off the "E". Am I wrong?

In my experience, CW have been excellent at sorting things out. Let's see what they say. They'd definitely want to know about this - could be a major issue with the design (choice of paint/application method) or just a rogue curing process affecting the one watch/small batch.

Incidentally, I have a C60 600 Pro Chronograph (2016 model) with the HE valve, but a slightly different (at least visual) design, still incorporating what looks like black enamel paint. Been under the sea with it several times - no issues with paint flaking anywhere. So I'd be surprised if CW were to allow a retrograde step in their C60 evolution.
Alex
4x Omega, 3x CW, 1x Tudor, 1x Tag
triffidman
Guru
Guru

Post by triffidman »

Kip wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:49 pmCW does not build the HE valve and there has been only 1 recall for potentially defective valves that I know of and that was on the C11 Elite 5 years ago.
I think in your defence of Christopher Ward, you've found the answer there Kip. Probably because CW don't build the HE valve is the reason it's so reliable?

1 defect in 5 years is a good accolade to aim for, however it's a shame this only applies the HE valves and not Christopher Ward watches as a whole.
C60 GMT (SOKKO)
C40 Chronograph

Laco Helsinki
Tissot T Touch Expert

Casio G-Shock Frogman
Casio G-Shock GPW-1000