How Careful / Paranoid Are You About Wearing Your Best / Most Treasured?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

How Careful / Paranoid Are You About Wearing Your Best / Most Treasured?

Post by PaulJS »

DavecUK's post about selling his Rolex and AP (which, BTW is a decision that I can completely understand the rationale behind) prompted me to think about how often and for what activities ( keep it clean!) people wear their expensive and / most treasured watches.

A few days ago I was in the garage doing battle with some recalcitrant wheel nuts ( Subject of an earlier post) and, whilst beating something into submission with a 3lb club hammer, realised that I was wearing my Speedmaster :shock:

I was on wheel number 4 by then so it seemed a bit late to panic, but I did take it off for the remainder of the operation. My point is that I wear these watches on a daily basis, such that when I embark on a potentially hazardous activity I often forget that I am wearing them.

The irony is that the only visible knocks they have taken have been during everyday stuff in apparently innocuous circumstances.

So my question is: how careful, paranoid are you about wearing your most prized watches in everyday life?

Cheers,

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
Danbailey007
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Re: How Careful / Paranoid Are You About Wearing Your Best / Most Treasured?

Post by Danbailey007 »

I tend to only wear my better watches now so they seem to be worn for everything, meals out, work, garden work, golf the lot!

Admittedly my most expensive watch in my C60 bronze but it was still a lot of money and a big decision for me to get it.
Dan

Citizen Eco-Drive
Elliot Brown Tyneham
Multiple Fossil
CW C60 Bronze
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra
Omega Seamaster 300M No Time To Die
Omega x Swatch MoonSwatch - Moon & Venus & Mars
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

I'm about the same. I wear all my watches regardless. Occasionally, in the middle of hammering something or poking my arm into a confined space I think "probably shouldn't be wearing this watch to do this task" and remove the watch - closing the door after the horse etc...

And also like you, the only visible damage I've done to watches has occurred in mundane circumstances like catching it on a door frame.

At the end of the day, (most) watches are pretty robust, and are designed to be used.
Richard
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Similar to Neil in that other than for true beater work for which I use an EB or a Seiko Sun, my DeepSea is worn for everything else. Gardening, DIY, car washing, smashing about with my daughter all are done with the DeepSea. It has never missed a beat.

Ironically, the only real damage on it is on the clasp from being worn at my desk!!!!

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Paul, google the tests that NASA did on the Speedmasters!

I probably wouldn’t wear a watch at all for certain jobs such as staining the fence, though I might have a beater in my pocket.

Mostly, as Richard says, they are designed to be worn and in a lot of cases tougher than we tend to think.

I wouldn’t wear a vintage watch for swimming, and I tend to take anything but a diver off if I’m doing the washing up.

Apart from that no, I don’t baby them.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

I've had my Speedmaster since last October and I've worn it everyday since, initially all day. Touch wood/cross-fingers at the moment it has just the "to be expected" bracelet clasp marks and usual near invisible marks on the Hesalite.

I've always removed it before doing any real manual or dirty work e.g. gardening, or indeed any activity that in my mind could potentially affect the bracelet or movement e.g. when playing golf.

Very recently I've started to take it off in the evening once I'm at home for the day and swap to my fitness watch to keep the wear scratches on the Speedy to a minimum.

Careful but not paranoid I think as I want to wear the Speedy and I've accepted that it will gain a patina of daily use.
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

My 'best', 'most expensive' and I'm pretty confident most worn watch of the last 12 months - only signs of wear - some of the case stickers are starting to show signs of wear.

If you can afford the watch, but think you will be paranoid to wear due to it's cost or value then don't buy it.

Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

I still read about desk marks, simply purchase one of these and they become a thing of the past. I wish I had got something like it 10 years ago rather than 2 years ago!

https://www.ebuyer.com/826981-eg-large- ... ce-eg-gs-l
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

I'm paranoid about vintage (plexiglass) watches.

My Rolex came back from a service a few months ago. It's been sitting in its box since. Can't get scratched there. (Although I do worry about the box lid being a little tight on the glass of the watch.)

Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

what-time-is-it wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:24 pm My 'best', 'most expensive' and I'm pretty confident most worn watch of the last 12 months - only signs of wear - some of the case stickers are starting to show signs of wear.
I don’t think case stickers are designed to be worn for 12 months. :shock:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:50 pm
what-time-is-it wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:24 pm My 'best', 'most expensive' and I'm pretty confident most worn watch of the last 12 months - only signs of wear - some of the case stickers are starting to show signs of wear.
I don’t think case stickers are designed to be worn for 12 months. :shock:
I thought it helped with the WR rating. :lol:

It's nice to be able to remove them on my terms and not as part of the sale at the AD.

The heat from the last few months has made some of them bubble, so will go, but the others are not doing any harm and will go in time.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

I have two main watch boxes and I've noticed that, slightly unconsciously, my collection has started to polarise into two roughly equal halves using these boxes:

1. watches I only want to wear under a cuff so that they stay pristine, and
2. watches I'm happy to wear with short sleeves and take a chance with.

So Box 1 is the focus for Monday to Thursday at work and Box 2 is the focus for Friday to Sunday (Friday is dress-down day at work, so normally short sleeves). I know I am probably being over-cautious about those in Box 1, so I will occasionally take a risk with one, but generally I like the fact that they are mostly pristine, e.g. my Speedmaster is getting on for 7 years old and hasn't got a mark on it, even though I've worn it 131 times. [I've probably jinxed it now!]

And on the subject of case stickers, I used to keep mine on the new Rolexes I used to have - until the stickers fell off through their own shame at their scuzziness. :) I still have the backplate sticker in place on my C8 which was bought 6 years ago (90 wears)! And that's in Box 2, yet still unmarked - risky!
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

smegwina wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:34 am
Ironically, the only real damage on it is on the clasp from being worn at my desk!!!!
Just noticed the wear on my SMP clasp.
I wonder how much Omega charge for a new little gold Ω?
Still, it's 20 years old!
20190825_140056.jpg
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I keep them in a box when I'm not wearing them. I try not to wear a watch with a nice leather strap to the gym, otherwise anything goes. I have some "expensive" watches but no investment pieces. So they get daily wear.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I wear my better watches the majority of the time, including when away on holiday. To me there would be no point having them unless I wore them regularly.

I wouldn’t wear a decent watch doing manual labour or DIY, but have always viewed gardening and cutting the grass as far less likely to damage a watch than reaching to the back of a metal office cabinet!

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK