C8 POWER RESERVE

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Porky12

C8 POWER RESERVE

Post by Porky12 »

Hello all, im new to the forum and a newbie to the watch world, so please excuse my lack of knowledge, I purchased a CW MK11 C60 316L in March and was pleased with it, I am now looking at buying the C8 PR, was hoping there would be some C8 PR owners out there who would be willing to share there thoughts and opinions about the watch wjth me before I decide to purchase or not, Thank You.
CBMVic20
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Re: C8 POWER RESERVE

Post by CBMVic20 »

Hi and welcome :wave:

I think it's a stellar watch in the matt steel finish and has some lovely subtle details like the altimeter style date with cut out numbers and sandwich dial with mix of applied quarter markers. Once fully wound, it's good for 5 days but because it's not an automatic, you'll still need to keep it wound even if you're wearing it regularly.

Cheers,

Vic
CW C9 SH21 | C60 Apex SH21 | C65 SH21
Ernst Benz Chronoscope DLC
Oris WilliamsF1 Day Date 2004
Phoibos Leviathan DLC
Seiko 5 Sports Orange "Baby" Monster
Tag Aquaracer | F1 Panda

Too many watches, not enough time :(
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

Welcome to the forum Porky12! :thumbup:

Sorry, I don't own a C8 so cant comment, but welcome.
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
theemaadhatter
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 8

Post by theemaadhatter »

Here's an overview of my experience...

https://watchcomplications.com/2018/10/ ... ronometer/

TMH (https://watchcomplications.com)
"it is maddening choosing your outfit based on the watch you want to wear..."
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by neilj568 »

The steel version is the best of the current CW crop by a country mile.

I eventually bought one from another forum member having been disappointed on two previous occasions buying from CW... :(

It looks great on the stock strap but I bought a black leather with red stitching in a CW half price sale and the watch looks stunning IMHO. It does wear quite large so this needs consideration if you have a small wrist.

I would suggest you keep an eye out as they appear on the CW sales page in the Nearly New/30% off category regularly but get snapped up quickly. The alternative is to wait for a voucher code (one due in September) but don't ever pay RRP for one...!!!!
20190616_155113.jpg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

The C8PR was the watch that brought me to CW and it's a firm favourite. I too prefer the brushed steel (I don't like coatings as they erode or scratch) though it tends to wear a little larger than the PVD - not a problem for me and the 44mm diameter is very wearable due to the relatively low profile at 11mm.

The manual wind is smooth as silk - really nice while the dial is subtle but gorgeous and depending on strap it can be smart or casual. The combination of features is unique and the Spitfire style hands and dial really finish it off as outstanding.

The only criticism I would level is that the date is sometimes not as legible as it could be due to the multi layer altimeter window, but then again that is a lovely feature so I wouldn't be without it and BTW the date is lumed!

In summary: delighted indeed with mine.
IMG_0523.jpg
smart - Meyhofer Paonia Special with CW Bader
IMG_0535.jpg
casual - Hirsch Liberty with CW buckle
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

I have had mine going on 2 1/2 years now, as I purchased almost upon release with a voucher. The difference between black and steel is purely personal preference. Amazingly completely different look. I am not one that usually likes the "vintage" lume, but I bought this one before the steel/white lume was released and still love it. Something a little different in the box. The black coating is DLC not PVD and unless there have been major improvements in the PVD lately, a lot tougher. See this article. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond-like_carbon
I was concerned the coating would wear, especially on a manually wound watch, the crown would be the first to go, but no sign of wear yet. Stellar time keeping, and still after 2 years one of my favorites.
Happy hunting ! :D
20190810_134943.jpg
20190623_162920.jpg
20190416_043537.jpg
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Porky12

Post by Porky12 »

Thank you all, im still considering it, I do prefer the steel to the black, but it does look a great watch, will be even more tempted with a decent promo code! Seems to be a promo recently for almost everything else! Grateful to all of you for your replies. As I have mentioned im new to the world of watches at this level and trying to learn as much as I can before purchasing, and it does seem to be quite a complicated subject! THANKS AGAIN.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

I had one and loved it but be aware it's quite a large watch that wears large. Design wise, it's wonderful - if only it was a few mm smaller. If you have larger wrists, or have a tolerance for large watches, you may be okay.
c8.jpg
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by neilj568 »

FloridaPhil wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:51 pm ...be aware it's quite a large watch that wears large.
I wish I'd said that...!!!! :D

Post by Mje »

Had mine a few weeks now and it’s not left my wrist

604171D9-762D-4DC0-9201-8EC83A1BE39E.jpeg
stephenlcj

Post by stephenlcj »

FloridaPhil wrote:I had one and loved it but be aware it's quite a large watch that wears large. Design wise, it's wonderful - if only it was a few mm smaller. If you have larger wrists, or have a tolerance for large watches, you may be okay.
c8.jpg
I like this watch a lot... What's your wrist size?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

It is, as he says, a large watch. The pics of the black variant are on my 8 in wrist. Hope this helps.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

stephenlcj wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:52 pm
FloridaPhil wrote:I had one and loved it but be aware it's quite a large watch that wears large. Design wise, it's wonderful - if only it was a few mm smaller. If you have larger wrists, or have a tolerance for large watches, you may be okay.

c8.jpg
I like this watch a lot... What's your wrist size?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
7.25"
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Porky12

Post by Porky12 »

Thanks to all for your thoughts knowledge and advice, that's really nice on the leather strap with red stitching, I did wonder about the size, I do have a small wrist, I think my C60 at 43mms looks and wears ok though, will probably purchase soon, my problems now arise from the fact that the more I now get into the world of watches the more I discover from this forum and reviews i keep looking at the more watches i fall in love with, but I am on a Ltd. budget, not sure to go with a more expensive watch like an Omega or Oris, at around the 4k mark, (expensive for me!) Or buy 3 Cws instead, as I have mentioned in a recent convert to this, I really had no idea how complex and stressful this could be just trying to make up your mind which watch to buy! Thanks to all again.