Would you buy a plug in electric car?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Would you buy a plug in electric car?

Post by TigerChris »

PaulJS wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:12 am
TigerChris wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:44 am
PaulJS wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:08 am

For what its worth I think this is just about the most balanced and informed overview of electric vehicles I have seen.

Every emerging technology needs early adopters for it to progress to become a mainstream product and this is where EVs are right now. No doubt we will all be using something other than petrol / diesel in the fullness of time but the alternative products and their essential supporting infrastructures ( be this EV, Hydrogen Fuel Cell or whatever ) aren't there yet.

Cheers,

Paul
The sad thing is that future generations will never get to experience a proper engine with a proper gearbox. Just the soulless electric stuff

'Tis sad indeed - with overpopulation and ever increasing restrictions on our freedoms to do what we wish, championed by ill informed yoghurt knitting do-gooders, it is becoming increasingly evident that we are a bit of a golden generation with the freedom ( of both action and thought ) and affluence to do largely what we want to do - for the time being at least.

Don't get me started!

Cheers,

Paul
If our lass read that post she'd ask if you were my twin! :lol: :lol: :lol: I spend half my life saying 'don't get me started' regarding the ever increasing amount of do-gooders and PC red tape bu11s51t
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

TigerChris wrote:

The sad thing is that future generations will never get to experience a proper engine with a proper gearbox. Just the soulless electric stuff

'Tis sad indeed - with overpopulation and ever increasing restrictions on our freedoms to do what we wish, championed by ill informed yoghurt knitting do-gooders, it is becoming increasingly evident that we are a bit of a golden generation with the freedom ( of both action and thought ) and affluence to do largely what we want to do - for the time being at least.

Don't get me started!

Cheers,

Paul
If our lass read that post she'd ask if you were my twin! Image Image Image I spend half my life saying 'don't get me started' regarding the ever increasing amount of do-gooders and PC red tape bu11s51t
Utterly useless if you do reasonable mileage, but for smaller journeys they are a great choice.

The technology needs to mature before it becomes a true replacement.

Trouble is, I am now at a loss.... I was planning to replace my current vehicle with the new version due out next year, only to find that the new model will only be available as an electric model!!! Image

The irony is that they do have one of the final ones ever made in the dealer which is the 575hp version. Talk about going from one extreme to another......

Going to test drive it at the weekend Image. Tempted to grab it before they bring out the emasculated new wuss model Image

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

smegwina wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:08 pm
TigerChris wrote:

Don't get me started!

Cheers,

Paul
If our lass read that post she'd ask if you were my twin! Image Image Image I spend half my life saying 'don't get me started' regarding the ever increasing amount of do-gooders and PC red tape bu11s51t
Utterly useless if you do reasonable mileage, but for smaller journeys they are a great choice.

Trouble is, I am now at a loss.... I was planning to replace my current vehicle with the new version due out next year, only to find that the new model will only be available as an electric model!!! Image

The irony is that they do have one of the final ones ever made in the dealer which is the 575hp version. Talk about going from one extreme to another......

Going to test drive it at the weekend Image. Tempted to grab it before they bring out the emasculated new wuss model Image

Sounds a no brainer to me, Nick - grab it quick, you know it makes sense :thumbup:
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

The issues I have with electric cars is to do with the battery technology. It is literally just a very large lithium battery, like you have in your phone.
In order to replace the 20 odd million cars in the UK alone would take years of global production of many rare earths. It’s not a technology that can be rolled out to the world, just to a handful of rich individuals in the west who want to feel better about themselves.

There has to be a better solution to energy storage for cars, I’d say Hydrogen has more potential to store the energy from renewables in a medium we can use for transportation.

I’m not convinced of electric cars, they have their place in city centres etc but for me who does 17k pa largely on the motorway network I don’t think it works out as an environmental argument.

It’s ironic that the diesel cars being produced today will be some of the most environmentally friendly fossil fuel powered cars including NOx and particulate emissions, but we have turned away as consumers because of fear of their future.
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

smegwina wrote: The irony is that they do have one of the final ones ever made in the dealer which is the 575hp version. Talk about going from one extreme to another......

If you get the opportunity Nick, take a test drive in the Jaguar iPace (400bhp and 350+ mile range).

My brother's father-in-law has one (in Norway) and my brother was driving it recently whilst over there on holiday. He reckons that it is one of the best vehicles he's ever driven and this is from a Petrol head who knows his Supercars.

One thing he found though was that my niece got car sick in it as it just has a progressive whine instead of the usual rise and fall of engine note as you move through the gears.

As soon as my brother made brm, brm noises (like a child might when pretending to drive a car), Kristi was fine.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Having just bought a self charging hybrid I don’t think I will be changing my car for some time. But would I be happy to go down the full EV route?

For most of my motoring it would be ideal. I drive short distances fairly frequently. My worry at this stage would be about the availability of charging points on the move for longer journeys or at more remote destinations. I’m sure it will come but it certainly isn’t there yet.

It puts me a little in mind of the period around the late 1980s when we were all having our cars converted to run on unleaded fuel. For a long time it wasn’t exactly common in the Highlands of Scotland where I lived at the time, so you had to think ahead a little bit. Perhaps calling at filling stations on main roads more frequently than you would normally do just to keep it topped up.

I remember being particularly worried on a trip to northern Spain. I had taken my car on the ferry and my girlfriend and I were going to disappear into the Picos de Europa for several days. Chap at a filling station near Santander warned me there was hardly any unleaded in the mountains. We were OK as it happened, but it was a bit worrying.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

Before I give my opinion, you need to know where I'm at in my car ownership journey.
I'm car mad, and always have been. I used to modify my cars with bigger engines, stiffer suspension, bigger brakes etc.
Then I joined the motor trade and for 15 years I had company cars.

Those cars are now regarded as classics; in no particular order: BMW 2002s BMW E21, E30, E3 5 series etc. Alfa GTV, alfasud sprint veloce, Toyota Corolla GT (fwd and rwd). etc.

During that time I realised that I would never buy a new car with my own money (too much depreciation)

I have also built my own car. GTM Libra: Composite tub with Rover VVC engine in the back. 800kG 165bhp.
http://www.drawmer.net/libra/intro.htm
topview.jpg
With this I did quite a few track days, and started to drive slower on the road!

Now though, I am retired. I do about 4000 miles a year, mostly short journeys with occasional trips of over 150 miles. I have driven a couple of electric cars, the BMW i3 and the Jaguar i-Pace.
These are both flippin' brilliant cars to drive, the instant torque is addictive fun, and stately cruise is truly calming.

I would buy one in an instant because of how they drive. My usage pattern fits for 90% of the time. If I bought one it would probably be the e-Nero, as that fits best.

But I'm not buying yet. I think there's more to come in terms of development and thereby avoiding the 'early adopter' losses. I've followed the BMW i3 progress, and those early ones are now worth so little as the newer cars have so much better range. And as I still won't buy a new car, the idea of a used battery car is a non starter. So, not for me, but I do like the idea.
There's always time for one more.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:15 pm
If you get the opportunity Nick, take a test drive in the Jaguar iPace (400bhp and 350+ mile range).
Guy, alas I don't think the range is quite at that level, maybe in kilometres! The official range for an ipace is 292 miles using the official testing guidelines however achieving that would entail driving very slowly with no air con/heater etc. Real world range is probably not that much north of 200 miles. I have a friend who recently bought an ipace and he gets battery anxiety when he has to do a round trip anything like 200 miles.

Performance obviously is scarily fast, again my friend says you can see the battery deplete though before your eyes when you gun it.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Thegreyman wrote:
Performance obviously is scarily fast, again my friend says you can see the battery deplete though before your eyes when you gun it.
Probably no worse than the depletion of the fuel (petrol) tank on my brother's cars when he guns it. Image

Guy

PS> correction on the range for the iPace accepted. Brother may well have been talking km as that's what applies in Norway.

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by PaulJS »

smegwina wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:08 pm
TigerChris wrote:

Don't get me started!

Cheers,

Paul

Presumably this is the XJ due in 2021?

If so I must agree that getting your hands on the last of the full fat models is a no brainer.

In any case, a Jag without a large capacity internal combustion engine is just a cardboard cut out of a car. It's the engines that give these cars their personality be it straight 6, V8 or V12.

Where's the character going to come from when the only difference in vehicles is the size of the washing machine motor attached to each wheel?

In any case, the last of the proper XJs will undoubtedly become a classic so enjoy it for a few years then put it away for occasional leisure use when you later gravitate towards a Zanussi.

Cheers,

Paul

PS don't forget the sticker for the back end saying 'doing my bit for global warming one mile at a time'!
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by PaulJS »

TigerChris wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:17 am

Don't get me started!

Cheers,

Paul
If our lass read that post she'd ask if you were my twin! :lol: :lol: :lol: I spend half my life saying 'don't get me started' regarding the ever increasing amount of do-gooders and PC red tape bu11s51t
I could go on to agree with you at great length.....but don't get me started :D
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

PaulJS wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:51 am
TigerChris wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:17 am

Don't get me started!

Cheers,

Paul
I could go on to agree with you at great length.....but don't get me started :D
Maybe a separate thread? The mods might have to work overtime though :lol:
Amor Vincit Omnia

TigerChris wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:08 am Maybe a separate thread? The mods might have to work overtime though :lol:
Don’t get me started! :wink:

Seriously, although I am by no means a petrol head, I do get it.

I have a serious objection to be nagged about my carbon footprint by someone who happens to drive a yummy mummy Panzerwagen about three times the size of my little hybrid. And whose hubby drives something equally large and Germanic. And who lives in a house that takes a Kuwaiti oilfield to heat. And whose annual family air miles tally (complete with brats) is probably about 15 times mine.

Do-gooders, eh? I’d quote something about a splinter and a plank, but I’d have to issue myself a warning for discussing religion! :lol:
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:20 am
TigerChris wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:08 am Maybe a separate thread? The mods might have to work overtime though :lol:
Don’t get me started! :wink:

Seriously, although I am by no means a petrol head, I do get it.

I have a serious objection to be nagged about my carbon footprint by someone who happens to drive a yummy mummy Panzerwagen about three times the size of my little hybrid. And whose hubby drives something equally large and Germanic. And who lives in a house that takes a Kuwaiti oilfield to heat. And whose annual family air miles tally (complete with brats) is probably about 15 times mine.

Do-gooders, eh? I’d quote something about a splinter and a plank, but I’d have to issue myself a warning for discussing religion! :lol:
:lol: :lol: Maybe I should apply to be a mod then I could issue you with your warning, Steve. I think my record is clean enough lately? :lol:

On a serious note, how are you getting on with the little Yaris? Have you figured out how all the little gizmos work yet?
Amor Vincit Omnia

Loving it, mate. Especially getting 60-65 mpg in normal traffic conditions for my 12 mile commute. And that’s without holding up the YMPWs or GKHWs any more than I’m being held up by the garden centre mob in pale blue Micras. The two wheeled Darth Vader lookalikes are a different matter of course, but I’m small enough for them to take advantage of their usual 20 cm manoeuvering space. :wink: *

* Having fun as usual. Tick, tock... :lol:
Steve