C60 Apex Limited Edition

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Re: C60 Apex Limited Edition Preview | Launches 28th August

Post by albionphoto »

It'll be interesting to compare the C60 Apex with my Ref 210 SeaMaster or even the Ref 212 SeaMaster. I'd expect it to blow the Ref 212 SeaMaster away but the newer one might be a more difficult challenge. I like the fact that CW are working with Armin Strom to make these "halo" pieces. I think that both parties can learn a lot from this collaboration and let's face it they aren't too far from each other in Biel/Bienne.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

albionphoto wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:28 pm I like the fact that CW are working with Armin Strom to make these "halo" pieces. I think that both parties can learn a lot from this collaboration and let's face it they aren't too far from each other in Biel/Bienne.
I don't like this watch, I actually prefer the original. but I agree about the collaboration as an interesting new development for CW. I also like the fact it's with a company that makes one of my never, ever to be realised, grail watches.

However, I think that believing AS have something to learn from CW is a little fanciful.
'Tis me
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

I think it’s the collaboration with Armin Strom that is the point here. Yes, you could buy an Omega/Tudor etc for this money. But could you buy one pimped by AS for this money?

I wouldn’t buy one, it’s really not my thing, but as a technical exercise, as an exhibition of craftsmanship , as something to be done just to show it can be, I think it’s gorgeous.

I’ve been lucky enough to hold one, and in your hands it exudes a kind of charisma. It’s looks and feels stunning. (But I’d still never wear it!)

But the point is if you’d bought one it would be much more than something to wear.
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

^^^^Like the C7 Apex.
I've worn mine but that really only shines when you look at the movement through the caseback. The dial of the C7 Apex is subtle enough to pass un-noticed and only the really watch curious would ask about it. I think the C60 Apex will be a visual statement from the front and the back.
Mark
Ttf23
Guru
Guru

Post by Ttf23 »

As another C7 Apex owner, I’ve been eagerly awaiting the release of the C60 Apex. Would it cause me to considerably consolidate the rest of the collection for another Apex? Or would it cause me to swap the C7 for the C60?

First impressions are no to both questions. I do really like the part skeletonised dial showing the power reserve and the case back showing the SH21 in all its glory. But (thankfully for my wallet), to me, the design doesn’t sing in quite the same way as it does with the C7. Don’t get me wrong, the C60 is a fabulous watch but it feels that the PR complication doesn’t quite fit the diver style of watch and has been shoehorned into the design.

At this kind of price, I would also be paranoid about wearing it. The C7 is ‘best’ occasions only and works in those settings. A big lairy orange diver wouldn’t work as well!

Great to see CW pushing the boundaries again, but I’ll pass on this one.
Independent buyer and seller of Christopher Ward and other watches - Ward Hoard
angusbon
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by angusbon »

tommyh1988 wrote:Love the watch. Tough sell at that price point though, I'd like to see these limited edition at around £1500-2000. Still less that the big names but more than your standard Chris Ward. I assume most like myself like a quality watch, but also value proposition. Unfortunately at this price you could have a tag, omega, tudor and so on. Still, I hope it doesn't sell and I can pick one up in the sale Image
Totally agree with you mate, unfortunately because you are relatively new you're the one being challenged even after many similar posts......

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

Ttf23 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:59 pm At this kind of price, I would also be paranoid about wearing it. The C7 is ‘best’ occasions only and works in those settings. A big lairy orange diver wouldn’t work as well!

Great to hear from another C7 owner. For me the C7 is also an occasional wear piece. The C60 might well be another matter. There are many Omega, Rolex, other expensive watch owners on here (just look at the "Other Brands" sub-forum). They wear their watches. My most worn watch is a Speedmaster Mk II which by RRP is not a cheap watch. It's dinged up due to the wear. I don't care; it's my favourite. However, adopting the mindset that it's a watch and not an investment certainly helps. There were comments earlier about investment watches, very few watches are investments. The C60 Apex will almost certainly get more wear than my C7 and will get marked as a result. At the end of the day, if I was ever likely to have grandchildren would they miss the investment value of a perfect C60 Apex versus a worn one? I think not. It's hard to forget the fact that you're wearing many thousands of dollars on your wrist, I get that, I really do, but if I love a watch then I'm going to wear it. Dings be damned...
Not a dig, so please don't take it as such.
Mark
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

albionphoto wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:28 pm It'll be interesting to compare the C60 Apex with my Ref 210 SeaMaster or even the Ref 212 SeaMaster. I'd expect it to blow the Ref 212 SeaMaster away but the newer one might be a more difficult challenge. I like the fact that CW are working with Armin Strom to make these "halo" pieces. I think that both parties can learn a lot from this collaboration and let's face it they aren't too far from each other in Biel/Bienne.
I'll take a 215 with the 8900 Master Co-Axial all day long.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

Ref 215? Lovely.
Mark
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: Would you buy one of these as the next Forum Limited Edition?

Post by willttqs »

At the price point it does suffer from strong competition but I guess it will be very exclusive and not bought by anyone looking at flipping.

For reference on limited editions, Tudor you could wait for the harrods black bay, or the lhd Peabody which no longer limited does have an individual number on the rear. Both are a fair bit cheaper with chronometer movements.

Oris do plenty of limited editions at 1500 to 2500 without the chronometer movements but do look great.

I agree none have the cw features so if these are of value and the uniqueness then it is worth the asking price.
Ttf23
Guru
Guru

Post by Ttf23 »

albionphoto wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:25 pm
Ttf23 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:59 pm At this kind of price, I would also be paranoid about wearing it. The C7 is ‘best’ occasions only and works in those settings. A big lairy orange diver wouldn’t work as well!

Great to hear from another C7 owner. For me the C7 is also an occasional wear piece. The C60 might well be another matter. There are many Omega, Rolex, other expensive watch owners on here (just look at the "Other Brands" sub-forum). They wear their watches. My most worn watch is a Speedmaster Mk II which by RRP is not a cheap watch. It's dinged up due to the wear. I don't care; it's my favourite. However, adopting the mindset that it's a watch and not an investment certainly helps. There were comments earlier about investment watches, very few watches are investments. The C60 Apex will almost certainly get more wear than my C7 and will get marked as a result. At the end of the day, if I was ever likely to have grandchildren would they miss the investment value of a perfect C60 Apex versus a worn one? I think not. It's hard to forget the fact that you're wearing many thousands of dollars on your wrist, I get that, I really do, but if I love a watch then I'm going to wear it. Dings be damned...
Not a dig, so please don't take it as such.
Not at all - I suppose I’m part of the way there in that I will now happily use, mark and ding watches that cost 6,7 or 8 hundred pounds. Only two or so years ago, buying a watch that was a couple of hundred quid watch was a single major purchase that needed to be ‘babied’.

Not quite there with watches in the thousands being a daily wearer (the C7 Apex being my only one in my collection), but you are right, I should wear and enjoy it more.

Enjoy your C60 and look forward to seeing the pics when it arrives!
McDaWisel
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

C60 Apex Limited Edition Preview | Launches 28th August

Post by McDaWisel »

Ttf23 wrote: Not at all - I suppose I’m part of the way there in that I will now happily use, mark and ding watches that cost 6,7 or 8 hundred pounds. Only two or so years ago, buying a watch that was a couple of hundred quid watch was a single major purchase that needed to be ‘babied’.

Not quite there with watches in the thousands being a daily wearer (the C7 Apex being my only one in my collection), but you are right, I should wear and enjoy it more.

Enjoy your C60 and look forward to seeing the pics when it arrives!
Exactly. One person’s beater is another’s grail.

That said I have a lot of friends that would buy a Submariner or a Planet Ocean as their only watch at full retail. Wear it everywhere - work, beach, sauna, diving, dressy occasions, etc... for 10 years straight, never service then, then put them in a drawer when they get something new to start the same cycle. I doubt they even know that their pieces have resell value.

Seems crazy to me! But actually makes a lot of sense if it’s not a hobby.
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by PaulJS »

I wouldn't worry about wearing it for any activity / occasion - it's not like you would need to keep it mint to retain its resale value, as it won't have one!! :lol:

But seriously, there is no point in buying any watch that you are too worried about wearing due to damage. I think this is where CW have a big gap in their services since they do not offer a ' return to as new condition' service that others in this price bracket do offer.

No one wants to damage a watch they have paid thousands for, but it makes it a more wearable proposition if you know you can get it sorted should the worst happen. Well, it does for me anyway and I wear my Omegas more extensively knowing that I can get any damage sorted, and that this will be the case 'forever'.

Cheers,

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
Ttf23
Guru
Guru

Post by Ttf23 »

PaulJS wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:17 pm
I wouldn't worry about wearing it for any activity / occasion - it's not like you would need to keep it mint to retain its resale value, as it won't have one!! :lol:
:lol: :lol: When you put it like that ...
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

PaulJS wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:17 pm

But seriously, there is no point in buying any watch that you are too worried about wearing due to damage. I think this is where CW have a big gap in their services since they do not offer a ' return to as new condition' service that others in this price bracket do offer.

No one wants to damage a watch they have paid thousands for, but it makes it a more wearable proposition if you know you can get it sorted should the worst happen. Well, it does for me anyway and I wear my Omegas more extensively knowing that I can get any damage sorted, and that this will be the case 'forever'.

Cheers,

Paul
Agreed it’s a huge plus knowing that any ding or scratch will come out at next service. When my sub came back from service, although in good condition, came back like new. Felt great getting your watch back mint.
Declan did hint that in the future polishing “possibly may” be offered in a service.
An experienced polisher would obviously have to be recruited, but you never know. I think personally that would be a huge plus. :thumbup:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue