Quartz watch suggestions (not Christopher Ward)

A place to discuss other watch-brands
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Re: Quartz watch suggestions (not Christopher Ward)

Post by mvlow »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:56 pm An interesting search Malcolm.

Taking a lead from the CWC RN you've already picked out there is an alternate British Military issue piece, featured / recommended by WatchPro in a Britain's best watch company entrepreneurs article published today, in the guise of the Elliot Brown Holton Professional.

An alternative Military issue piece from your side of the pond is the 41mm Marathon TSAR Quartz Military (Canadian brand, Swiss Made) available from Long Island Watch. Also available as a cheaper 36mm 'Medium' piece.

Final suggestion from me, is a Special Projects version of the Elliot Brown Canford, commissioned by Navy Wings to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the Sea Harrier, an aircraft I know you have an affinity with.

Full details may be found here

Hope these suggestions help.

Guy
All really good suggestions Guy. I will do a little research on the Holton Professional as that one has peaked my interest. I wonder if it has actually been. issued to any military units, or if it is just available for issue if a unit decides to try it in the future. If I recall, you purchased one of these a while back. If that correct, how do you like it now you've owned it for a while?

I'm not so patiently waiting to see what military field watches CW produce in the autumn. It won't affect any immediate purchases, but I'm hoping they will be nice enough for a possible future purchase.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

StrapMeister wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:57 pm How about something like these - Seiko GIUGIARO's
Seiko_01.jpg
Seiko_02.jpg
You could get both within budget.
Thanks for the suggestions Strapmeister. Very unique looking Seiko's, but not really my style.
Alex r wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:04 pm If size is not an issue you could get a pre owned midsize Omega SMP A round your budget

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk
Thanks. I've looked at a few SMP's but none that are in decent condition are close to my price range unfortunately.
StrappedUp wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:48 pm At the lower end of the price spectrum, how about a rugged 41mm field GMT quartz that doesn't require a battery change?

This Citizen Promaster BJ7100-82E fits the bill ...

I've only just come across this myself for the first time. Rather tempting travel "beater" at around 220GBP!
I just gave away my Citizen Nighthawk to my son. It was a nice watch, but I'm hoping to find something nearer the top end of my price range. Citizen make great watches, but I'm hoping to find something a little less common. That is what originally drew me to looking at the CWC.
McDaWisel wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:14 pm I have to concur with a previous suggestion, the Longines VHP is superb. The non-GMT models come in around your budget, around 650 Euro - 800 Euro on chrono24 with paperwork and warranty. GMT is over budget.

Second option - This might not be your style, but every so often a nice Breitling Aerospace comes in around the budget. They will be old watches - probably seem a few things, but if you are patient you will find a nice example. Those a real workhorses, worn a lot by pilots and a really good quartz movement.
If I could find a nice condition Breitling within my budget, it would definitely be a consideration. So far I haven't seen one in decent condition within my price range.
Andyshall wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:34 pm I currently have two quartz watches I could recommend for your consideration both of which I picked up second hand around the top end of your price range. The Sinn UX and Grand Seiko SBGX59 can I believe both still be found at this point with a little luck and patience. I would also consider a second hand Aerospace as mentioned above.
If you are looking for new, try Nite watches.
I didn't realize Sinn made quartz watches. I own a Sinn 104 and really love it. I will have to do a little research to see what is available from Sinn in quartz.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Looks like I'll be the third forum member to suggest finding a pre-owned Grand Seiko quartz….they are absolutely fantastic watches!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

Viognier wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:57 am Looks like I'll be the third forum member to suggest finding a pre-owned Grand Seiko quartz….they are absolutely fantastic watches!
I'll keep my eye out for one. If I could find one within my price point of $1,000 in good condition I would jump at it. So far though I haven't seen any that are close to that price.
Malcolm

Alex r
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Alex r »

Tutima have a good brand history and some Military links, A few in the pacific range were quartz.
Slightly less brand History Bell & Ross make a few nice quartz and not just the iconic square of the BR range. The Hydromax, Marine professional and Demineur were more standard cases.
Tag also do some nice Aquaracers.
https://www.chronext.co.uk/tag-heuer/aq ... 0928/U1557
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

PM sent to you with a Grand Seiko possibility (found online...not my watch)
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

Viognier wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:54 pm PM sent to you with a Grand Seiko possibility (found online...not my watch)
Thanks for the link. I PM'd you back.
Malcolm

neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

mvlow wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:53 pm

Taking a lead from the CWC RN you've already picked out there is an alternate British Military issue piece, featured / recommended by WatchPro in a Britain's best watch company entrepreneurs article published today, in the guise of the Elliot Brown Holton Professional.

An alternative Military issue piece from your side of the pond is the 41mm Marathon TSAR Quartz Military (Canadian brand, Swiss Made) available from Long Island Watch. Also available as a cheaper 36mm 'Medium' piece.

Final suggestion from me, is a Special Projects version of the Elliot Brown Canford, commissioned by Navy Wings to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the Sea Harrier, an aircraft I know you have an affinity with.

Guy
All really good suggestions Guy. I will do a little research on the Holton Professional as that one has peaked my interest. I wonder if it has actually been. issued to any military units, or if it is just available for issue if a unit decides to try it in the future. If I recall, you purchased one of these a while back. If that correct, how do you like it now you've owned it for a while?

I'm not so patiently waiting to see what military field watches CW produce in the autumn. It won't affect any immediate purchases, but I'm hoping they will be nice enough for a possible future purchase.
I've not had as much time to visit here recently can anyone point me in the right direction for information on the CW military field watch?
Neil
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

And op I think you should get the cwc en diver or the sbs model. I think the cheaper model at around £500 should be back in stock soon if it isn't already
Neil
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

I agree, go for the cwc. It's the most iconic British dive watch ever made and the watch with the longest active history of military service.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

neil8fletcher3 wrote:
mvlow wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:53 pm

Guy

I've not had as much time to visit here recently can anyone point me in the right direction for information on the CW military field watch?
Relax Neil, you've not missed anything significant.

CW have engaged in an official tie up with HM Armed Forces with watches expected to be released this Autumn.

More than that is not known.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

neil8fletcher3 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:23 pm

The only info I have seen regarding the new CW military watches was a piece in the summer Loupe magazine. Interestingly if you look at the online version the article is not there, it seems to only be in the printed version.
IMG_3248.jpg
Malcolm

neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

Thanks for the information, for me this could be a winner. If it takes design ideas from the Seiko & pulsar RAF chronos, the dirty dozen or the 6bb chronos I'm in. Be interesting to see if there's any similarity to the bremont range recently released
Neil
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

I suppose if I was going to go for a straight battery quartz with some history and not run of the mill, I would be tempted by one of the Bulova watches with the HFQ movements, probably something not too busy or gaudy like this. In fact if they did a version with a Valjoux 7750 I would be slightly tempted :). It's also well within your budget, but not a diver...

https://intl.bulova.com/products/96b251
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

I wanted to thank all of you who took the time to make some suggestions for me to consider. There were several suggestions I had not thought about that have potential. I'll be taking my time doing some more research based on some of your ideas.

On a completely different note, I just saw some of the Zodiac Super Sea Wolf models. I am not usually one for colorful watches, but a couple of these are really tempting. Darn this hobby :D
Malcolm