Quartz watch suggestions (not Christopher Ward)

A place to discuss other watch-brands
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Quartz watch suggestions (not Christopher Ward)

Post by mvlow »

Quartz watch recommendations.

I am looking for a quality quartz watch for my collection (not Christopher Ward), that has some history to the brand and costs no more than $1,000. I've scoured the interweb for new and used quartz watches that match my criteria and think I may have found the one, but would like to hear any other suggestions that I may have missed. I have a G-shock as a beater, so I am not interested in another G-shock. All of my other watches are mechanical/auto, and at this point want to add a nice quartz to round out my colllection.

Here is the watch I am currently considering. Thoughts/suggestions?

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 7.36.27 AM.png
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Re: Quartz watch suggestions (not Christopher Ward)

Post by StrappedUp »

Are you set on a diver?

Outside of dive watches, you can probably find a GS quartz around the top end of your budget if you're willing to look at pre-owned. It doesn't get much better!

And Seiko have a truckload of quartz history.
Ryan
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

StrappedUp wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:04 pm Are you set on a diver?

Outside of dive watches, you can probably find a GS quartz around the top end of your budget if you're willing to look at pre-owned. It doesn't get much better!

And Seiko have a truckload of quartz history.
I'm not set on a diver, although I typically lean towards them. I would definitely consider a Grand Seiko quartz, but any I've seen anywhere close to my budget are in pretty tatty condition. It seems that to get a decent example, I would have to raise my budget quite a bit.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

A suggestion: Longines Conquest (or Hydroconquest if you prefer a diver)

£860

Check them out on the Longines Website.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by johnnysharp2 »

Hamilton do some nice 'X Wind' Aviation types around that price if they are your thing - they are mine.

Johnny
treyford
Guru
Guru

Post by treyford »

Malcom,
Have you looked at Longines VHP Range, they have a few nice ones that I have been keeping my eye on. There is a GMT version that has a retain cost of approx £980. This is a review from Fratello Watches
https://www.fratellowatches.com/longines-conquest-vhp-
Treyford
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:15 pm A suggestion: Longines Conquest (or Hydroconquest if you prefer a diver)

£860

Check them out on the Longines Website.
treyford wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:24 pm Malcom,
Have you looked at Longines VHP Range, they have a few nice ones that I have been keeping my eye on. There is a GMT version that has a retain cost of approx £980. This is a review from Fratello Watches
https://www.fratellowatches.com/longines-conquest-vhp-
I've looked at the Longines VHP and it is definitely a consideration. The GMT in the USA seems to retail around $1,600, so above my price range. It's a nice looking watch.
Malcolm

mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

johnnysharp2 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:21 pm Hamilton do some nice 'X Wind' Aviation types around that price if they are your thing - they are mine.

I have a Hamilton Khaki Field, which I really like. The x-wind is a great watch, but maybe a little busy for my taste.
Malcolm

StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

How about something like these - Seiko GIUGIARO's
Seiko_01.jpg
Seiko_02.jpg
You could get both within budget.
Alex r
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Alex r »

If size is not an issue you could get a pre owned midsize Omega SMP A round your budget

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Longines VHP would be my suggestion around that price range. I've tried on both the chrono and 3 hander but not the GMT. They wear very well and look fantastic
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

At the lower end of the price spectrum, how about a rugged 41mm field GMT quartz that doesn't require a battery change?

This Citizen Promaster BJ7100-82E fits the bill ...

I've only just come across this myself for the first time. Rather tempting travel "beater" at around 220GBP!
Ryan
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

An interesting search Malcolm.

Taking a lead from the CWC RN you've already picked out there is an alternate British Military issue piece, featured / recommended by WatchPro in a Britain's best watch company entrepreneurs article published today, in the guise of the Elliot Brown Holton Professional.

An alternative Military issue piece from your side of the pond is the 41mm Marathon TSAR Quartz Military (Canadian brand, Swiss Made) available from Long Island Watch. Also available as a cheaper 36mm 'Medium' piece.

Final suggestion from me, is a Special Projects version of the Elliot Brown Canford, commissioned by Navy Wings to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the Sea Harrier, an aircraft I know you have an affinity with.

Full details may be found here

Hope these suggestions help.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
McDaWisel
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by McDaWisel »

I have to concur with a previous suggestion, the Longines VHP is superb. The non-GMT models come in around your budget, around 650 Euro - 800 Euro on chrono24 with paperwork and warranty. GMT is over budget.

Second option - This might not be your style, but every so often a nice Breitling Aerospace comes in around the budget. They will be old watches - probably seem a few things, but if you are patient you will find a nice example. Those a real workhorses, worn a lot by pilots and a really good quartz movement.
Andyshall
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Andyshall »

I currently have two quartz watches I could recommend for your consideration both of which I picked up second hand around the top end of your price range. The Sinn UX and Grand Seiko SBGX59 can I believe both still be found at this point with a little luck and patience. I would also consider a second hand Aerospace as mentioned above.
If you are looking for new, try Nite watches.