Would you buy one of these as the next Forum Limited Edition?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Would you buy one of these as the next Forum Limited Edition?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Now I could very well be wrong, but I do have a feeling that such an idea would struggle given the level of interest shown in the various GMT incarnations. Added to which, it is a considerable sea change from the original idea promulgated by CW and presented by Kip.

But it’s a discussion thread, so never say never… :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:20 pm

By "applied device" do you mean the twin flags? As far as I can see the flags on the C7 range look as if they are applied although I don't know if they'd be the right size for the proposed FLE GMT. Surely if they've been produced for another CW watch there'd be no need for new tooling? Am I wrong?

It's the embossed name logo that was going to be expensive as there wasn't any tooling presently.
It's me that's getting confused. Having looked back it is the Word mark that would be expensive to emboss but we can have embossed or applied flags.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
baldrick
Senior
Senior

Post by baldrick »

H0rati0 wrote:
Mikkei4 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:20 pm

By "applied device" do you mean the twin flags? As far as I can see the flags on the C7 range look as if they are applied although I don't know if they'd be the right size for the proposed FLE GMT. Surely if they've been produced for another CW watch there'd be no need for new tooling? Am I wrong?

It's the embossed name logo that was going to be expensive as there wasn't any tooling presently.
It's me that's getting confused. Having looked back it is the Word mark that would be expensive to emboss but we can have embossed or applied flags.
Yep, I mean the flags, not the logo, which have been applied before so shouldn't require any new tooling.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by srs1286 »

Another question is whether CW had access to any other case hardening treatments/scratch resistant coatings that keep the steel color?
Andy-Smith
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 15

Post by Andy-Smith »

WR300 exhibition case back
caseback.jpg
WR300 exhibition case back
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

srs1286 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:21 pm Kip, throwing out another idea completely different here but do notice a number of comments stating “yet another diver”.

Is it possible to make a “field watch” with the 40mm C60 case with crown guards. Essentially the C65 vintage in a larger size with crown guards and more of a “sporty” “field” dial? This would imply that a solid steel, non-rotating bezel could be made for the 40mm case.

Benefits are twofold. Genuinely a custom watch that is relatively safe it won’t be replicated in any fashion by CW, the 40mm size that appeals to a wider audience.

Could even turn it into a GMT with an internal chapter ring.
56 forum members would buy a watch like this but CW and the mods don't seem to be very excited about it.
Casual, elegant and rugged CW explorer watch: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49979&start=15

TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

As I keep asking about the 'aqua terra competitor' that was mentioned at the Edinburgh GTG, I'd definitely be in for something with a fixed solid bezel based on the new C60 40mm case. I can't see it happening though as I think there are too many people focussed on the GMT now. Unless a GMT version could be looked at? Now that would be special :thumbup:

Oh, and I knew you wouldn't be able to stay away Frank :lol: :lol:
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

It’s a lovely watch, Frank, and I’m sure it would be extremely popular as a limited edition or production model. I’m also not entirely sure that it is unpopular with either CW or the Admin Team. However, there are two points to bear in mind here.

Firstly, it wasn’t one of the designs put forward for this particular FLE. I think it would be a little unfair on those who have voted for and put in so much work on the GMT versions to throw in a completely different watch at this stage.

Secondly, whilst it is certainly true that people expressed an interest in it, I wonder how many of those people have also voted for one or other of the options on offer this time? That is something I guess we cannot know the answer to.

EDIT. The style that people voted for on the thread you quoted was evolved before the release or even the announcement of Trident Mk 3, so the current handset did not feature on any of those watches. I don’t think there is any current model which uses the new Trident case and hands but without a rotating bezel.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

TigerChris wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:56 amOh, and I knew you wouldn't be able to stay away Frank :lol: :lol:
Sorry, still lurking.. but couldn't help myself. :)

Too many dive watches already so still hoping for the 40mm Adventurer. But probably remains wishful thinking.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

nordwulf wrote:
TigerChris wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:56 amOh, and I knew you wouldn't be able to stay away Frank Image Image

Too many dive watches already so still hoping for the 40mm Adventurer. But probably remains wishful thinking.
Not necessarily wishful thinking Frank.

Since the thread that you linked being started a year ago, CW have taken on board the desire for a Field / Military watch (or may well have been thinking of it prior) and are due to release a ranges of watches this autumn, that have full approval of the British Armed Forces.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:35 am
nordwulf wrote:
TigerChris wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:56 amOh, and I knew you wouldn't be able to stay away Frank Image Image

Since the thread that you linked being started a year ago, CW have taken on board the desire for a Field / Military watch (or may well have been thinking of it prior) and are due to release a ranges of watches this autumn, that have full approval of the British Armed Forces.

Guy

That sounds interesting, thanks for the update. I think that style of watch may be a welcome addition to their collection.
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by srs1286 »

Guy

Hopefully it doesn't stop at the British armed forces and some sterile versions are released for the general public as well.
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

Again! So once again where Bremont have boldly already ventured, CW meekly follow. How many more times?

https://www.bremont.com/collections/the ... collection
'Tis me
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Caller wrote:
Again! So once again where Bremont have boldly already ventured, CW meekly follow. How many more times?

https://www.bremont.com/collections/the ... collection
Not really 'again', as the intention by CW to release a 'Military' related watch was made known at the Manchester GTG back in mid-April and has been discussed several times on here since.

Still, we digress. Perhaps we should get back to discussing the forthcoming FLE.

@Kip - thanks for putting forward, to CW, the idea of a display caseback for the FLE.

Fingers crossed for the answer being in the affirmative.

Guy

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

I'll add my two cents, although we may be drifting off topic. Would the release of a "field watch" require a change from straight baton markers to Arabic numerals?
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight