Would you buy one of these as the next Forum Limited Edition?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Would you buy one of these as the next Forum Limited Edition?

Post by Mikkei4 »

H0rati0 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:32 am ..... to my mind the white/grey/red combination looks drop dead gorgeous. I prefer the full red sweep hand but could compromise on red tip and lume pip - tip only doesn't work IMHO.
Totally agree.
I think these white dial watches are brilliant.
My 1 remaining very slight concern is still the numbers 6 and 18 where they are cut in half by the bezel colour change. The 6 looks just about OK as it's split down the mid-line of the number but the 18 is not evenly split. However it's probably a small and acceptable point if it allows a fully and uniformly lumed bezel with all white numbers, as long as the silver half of the bezel is just dark enough to give contrast to the hour numbers and also to the darker half of the bezel.

Other than the above I think it give so much -
a dial that has something noticeable at 3, 6, 9 and 12 to give a bold and balanced look (Normally I dislike the left justified name at 9 but on this dial it works)
that "floating" red GMT hand (genius idea to match the first half to the dial colour, whoever's idea it was)
a combination of classic colours that co-ordinate well without being over-gaudy
dark outlined main hands and hour batons for good legibility
dual coloured fully lumed bezel

Now question for Kip probably - what could be done to the back to make it also a bit more special without attracting too much up-charge, affecting the WR or reducing wear comfort? Coloured/ceramic middle disc, dark background on the disc middle to make the Trident stand out more, some well thought out wording ?

Are these designs and support comments on Kip's polling thread so they're not missed or is this thread still being monitored for ideas to go forward?
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I think it Is it safe to assume (dangerous I know) that these 3 are the final contenders for the GMT.

If so we can leave any final tweaking until later.

My question now is...Is there enough interest in creating a non GMT model from the samples (1st post page 1) or mock ups created that are shown in my summary #3 listed as S1 - S5 (Page #24).

ImageImageImageImage

Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:02 pm
H0rati0 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:32 am ..... to my mind the white/grey/red combination looks drop dead gorgeous. I prefer the full red sweep hand but could compromise on red tip and lume pip - tip only doesn't work IMHO.
Totally agree.
My 1 remaining very slight concern is still the numbers 6 and 18 where they are cut in half by the bezel colour change. The 6 looks just about OK as it's split down the mid-line of the number but the 18 is not evenly split. However it's probably a small and acceptable point if it allows a fully and uniformly lumed bezel with all white numbers, as long as the silver half of the bezel is just dark enough to give contrast to the hour numbers and also to the darker half of the bezel.

a dial that has something noticeable at 3, 6, 9 and 12 to give a bold and balanced look (Normally I dislike the left justified name at 9 but on this dial it works)
that "floating" red GMT hand (genius idea to match the first half to the dial colour, whoever's idea it was)

Now question for Kip probably - what could be done to the back to make it also a bit more special without attracting too much up-charge, affecting the WR or reducing wear comfort? Coloured/ceramic middle disc, dark background on the disc middle to make the Trident stand out more, some well thought out wording ?

Are these designs and support comments on Kip's polling thread so they're not missed or is this thread still being monitored for ideas to go forward?
Was thinking along similar lines. We could go beserk on the back to make it secretly special. I love the idea of exhibition back to show the decorated rotor but this may well compromise WR or increase cost to retain WR.

But what about something translucent, maybe with the device, like the proposals for the dial?

Also need to give careful thought to wording I think that’s quite important too.
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Macdaz wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:11 pm
Mikkei4 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:02 pm

Totally agree.

Was thinking along similar lines. We could go beserk on the back to make it secretly special. I love the idea of exhibition back to show the decorated rotor but this may well compromise WR or increase cost to retain WR.

But what about something translucent, maybe with the device, like the proposals for the dial?

Also need to give careful thought to wording I think that’s quite important too.
My turn to agree with you two gentlemen. Something outstanding on the caseback would put the icing on. A specific FLE medallion along the lines of Grand Seiko perhaps?
Grand-Seiko-caseback.jpg
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I imagine that a case back medallion would carry some cost implications. What material were you thinking of?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Kip wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:05 pm
My question now is...Is there enough interest in creating a non GMT model from the samples (1st post page 1) or mock ups created that are shown in my summary #3 listed as S1 - S5 (Page #24).

Not from me, Kip. A white GMT would find a home here very nicely but yet another diver means saturation, especially not with a PVD case (though I think they look good, just impractical). Purely my two cents.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:42 pm I imagine that a case back medallion would carry some cost implications. What material were you thinking of?
Good question - I had not thought! There is also the issue of allergy for some, so maybe titanium would be cost effective?

In the best of all possible worlds, 18k of course - that would make some special...I'll get my coat :escape:
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

The opposite to H0rati0, I already have a white GMT so another isn’t something I’m interested in too much. Plus, my next purchase will be a PVD case anyway and I’ve already got a shortlist, so I’m definitely still interested in a non gmt model based on either original #1 or #2. If those cases don’t get used for the FLE then I’m hoping that CW put out their own LE using one or both of them. I’m still interested a little in the GMT, but only with black or blue smoked dial.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Macdaz wrote: Was thinking along similar lines. We could go beserk on the back to make it secretly special. I love the idea of exhibition back to show the decorated rotor but this may well compromise WR or increase cost to retain WR.

CW are doing a display case back on the forthcoming C60 Apex, so the design / tooling has been done.

WR is reduced to 300m but I don't imagine that this would be an issue with FLE buyers (fine with me).

If CW have not got 600m WR on the Apex, I sincerely doubt they will do it for an FLE.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
lisnalee
Guru
Guru

Post by lisnalee »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:12 pm
Macdaz wrote: Was thinking along similar lines. We could go beserk on the back to make it secretly special. I love the idea of exhibition back to show the decorated rotor but this may well compromise WR or increase cost to retain WR.

CW are doing a display case back on the forthcoming C60 Apex, so the design / tooling has been done.

WR is reduced to 300m but I don't imagine that this would be an issue with FLE buyers (fine with me).

If CW have not got 600m WR on the Apex, I sincerely doubt they will do it for an FLE.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

Display caseback with 300m WR sounds good to me

I will never be more than 2m with mine!
C7 Rapide Day-Date COSC LE #10/100
C60 Trident Elite 1000 COSC LE #50/300
C1 Grand Malvern Small Second COSC
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

I’m one of those that will always prefer a solid caseback on a diver, especially one with a Selitta/ETA/Miyota etc... Leave the display backs for movements worth looking at in my opinion.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I will reiterate that I am not in the hunt, and therefore have no axe to grind. I have not participated in the voting and do not intend to, but it has been great to see the creative interest it has engendered.

However, having lived through a few of these FLE development processes already, I would counsel caution. As I see it, the danger here is twofold.

Firstly, and this is certainly something we have seen before, people are eager to add features that inevitably have a bearing on the overall and final cost of the watch. Some then become financially disenfranchised or vote with their feet as the projected cost goes up beyond the original estimate.

Secondly, trying to accommodate as many suggestions as possible can mean that one ends up with a final product that looks as though it were designed by a committee, and not always a very coherent committee at that. As I said in an earlier post, there will be different sticking points for different people, in other words lines in the sand beyond which they will not venture or else features that are a sine qua non, and the more of those that are crossed on the one hand or omitted on the other, the more people will be inclined to drop out.

I completely accept that no one wants the FLE to be a Plain Jane, in other words a watch that is fundamentally indistinguishable from a standard production model save perhaps for one or two tiny features. If I were offering a word of advice, it would probably be to establish the price ceiling and stick to it, because quite a few of those ideas will inevitably threaten to break through that ceiling. Then work with what CAN be achieved below that ceiling.

Good luck! :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Personally I’ve no intention of buying any more 3 hand dive watches, so that route would exclude me.

I’m however very keen on a white dial/black hands GMT, to the extent that I’m quite flexible on some of smaller details.

Despite having just said that I’d like to see the absolute minimum of additional text on the dial and would favour the FLE branding on the caseback. Whilst a custom embossed logo or insert would be nice I’d imagine it could potentially increase the cost significantly; and at a starting price already at £1k I’m not sure the potential market would stomach a much higher price?
Tim
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Well said AVO

I'm also not in the game but the sooner the presentations are whittled down the better.

Looking through the thread some are so similar that it's akin to 'Where's Wally' trying to find the subtle differences.

Good luck to you all anyway.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:42 pm I imagine that a case back medallion would carry some cost implications. What material were you thinking of?
Personally not being in the watch industry I have no idea whatsoever how much additional unit cost there would be for any change to the case back (even if it's just different wording) hence my non-specific "...to make it also a bit more special without attracting too much up-charge, affecting the WR or reducing wear comfort? Coloured/ceramic middle disc, dark background on the disc middle to make the Trident stand out more, some well thought out wording ?"

So I was rather hoping that Kip, Admin or CW could consider the thought/suggestion and provide the answer to what could be achievable (if anything) without going over the top on additional budget or just say no it can't be done without the cost ramping up beyond what people would be willing to pay, e.g £10-£15 extra per watch might be acceptable for something out of the ordinary, £200 extra wouldn't be. Just like what happened with the tooling costs and additional unit price for the idea of a possible embossed name logo.

For me WR300 would be fine but I purposely didn't mention a display caseback as an option in case WR600 did matter to some plus I have no idea of how attractive the movements are.