New arrival. C65 Trident Diver Blue

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: New arrival. C65 Trident Diver Blue

Post by Essex Paul »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:42 pm Perceived wisdom from the (new format) CW Forum Archives is 42 hours, which concurs with the website.

How many times have you tested it? Was it fully wound?

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

Just the once Guy. Just began another test, due to stop 8am Saturday.
Yes fully wound till resistance.
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I must confess, Paul, that I have never actually allowed mine to run down as a check. Probably the main reason being that 38 or 42 hours is neither fish nor fowl as far as I’m concerned.

Allow me to explain. I tend, if I am wearing them for a period of time, to wind manual watches first thing in the morning. With a 42 hour power reserve, assuming that I wind it at 6 am, it would be expiring around midnight the following day. No blinkin’ use at all. So I just wind them every day unless they are enjoying an extended sojourn in the box or safe.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:29 pm I must confess, Paul, that I have never actually allowed mine to run down as a check. Probably the main reason being that 38 or 42 hours is neither fish nor fowl as far as I’m concerned.

Allow me to explain. I tend, if I am wearing them for a period of time, to wind manual watches first thing in the morning. With a 42 hour power reserve, assuming that I wind it at 6 am, it would be expiring around midnight the following day. No blinkin’ use at all. So I just wind them every day unless they are enjoying an extended sojourn in the box or safe.
You’re absolutely correct of course Steve.
I’d wind it fully then just give it a another wind say before going to bed the following day. So no, I won’t be “timing” it in future, besides it’ll be in rotation with my others.
But as always when getting a new watch I like to know i’m getting what’s advertised.
Surely it can’t be a duff movement? I know the autos are 38hrs but I would expect to get near on 42hrs if the technical data said it should?
Does it need breaking in?
C65 Trident Diver Blue
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

I timed mine on a couple of occasions just after purchasing it (as a nearly new specimen). It took about 30 crown winds till firm resistance was met, and the power reserve was a fraction over 42 hours.

It’s subsequently been sold so I’m unable to test again.
Tim
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

timor54 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:32 pm I timed mine on a couple of occasions just after purchasing it (as a nearly new specimen). It took about 30 crown winds till firm resistance was met, and the power reserve was a fraction over 42 hours.

It’s subsequently been sold so I’m unable to test again.
Mmmm ok thanks Tim. Yep I wound about 30 times till resistance, got just under 38 hours. :shock:
Will know Saturday how second test works out.
Dunno how I’ll feel if it comes in at 38 again.
Hoping it’s just a fluke first test.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Without doing research, my memory tells me that until fairly recently, the claims for most of these movements was 38-42 hours. Not sure when or why it changed, but if your going to wind it daily, as you should IMO, I wouldn't be the least bit concerned.

Wearing most of mine either 1 day or half day at a time, I couldn't tell you the reserve on any of them except the C9 5 day which I did check when received.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

Kip wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:39 pm Without doing research, my memory tells me that until fairly recently, the claims for most of these movements was 38-42 hours. Not sure when or why it changed, but if your going to wind it daily, as you should IMO, I wouldn't be the least bit concerned.

Wearing most of mine either 1 day or half day at a time, I couldn't tell you the reserve on any of them except the C9 5 day which I did check when received.
Thanks Kip.
CW must be confident to stipulate 42 hours.
I’d therefore expect it to be close to 42 hours.
I’m 4 hours off that on first test.
As I say hopefully it’s better on second full wind. :thumbup:
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

Hi Paul,

I have let my blue C65 Trident Diver wind down at least a dozen times. I have probably checked it only 5 to 6 times, but in each case the power reserve was over 42 hours: around 45 hours or so.

There could be individual variations from watch to watch, but 38 hours seems a material amount to be off from the stated 42 hours. However, practically speaking, I personally wouldn't be put off by it and would keep the watch. But I would completely understand if others felt differently.
Best regards,
John
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

Bident wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:58 am Hi Paul,

I have let my blue C65 Trident Diver wind down at least a dozen times. I have probably checked it only 5 to 6 times, but in each case the power reserve was over 42 hours: around 45 hours or so.

There could be individual variations from watch to watch, but 38 hours seems a material amount to be off from the stated 42 hours. However, practically speaking, I personally wouldn't be put off by it and would keep the watch. But I would completely understand if others felt differently.
Thanks John. Appreciate your input. :thumbup:
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Hi Paul, I tested mine when I first bought it and mentioned it in a post. In fact, you quoted me in the same post. I can’t remember how to link to a previous post so here’s a cut & paste excerpt:

“Well, it ran for 46hrs & 5mins on one full wind.
It was +3 secs after 36hrs and +1 after 40hrs. By 45hrs it had slowed to -15 secs.
I’ll take that.”

I know that it will seem easy for me to say this, being as my power reserve was 46 hrs (no idea if that is repeatable without testing) but I have other watches that fall way short of the expectations and it doesn’t bother me. I’d only be bothered if they were say, out by 50% or so?

I’d view the quoted power reserves of any watch as “a ball park figure” rather than a guaranteed expectation.

I’d advise that you accept 38hrs as “close enough” and just enjoy the watch.

Having said that, I understand where you are coming from and if you can’t accept that sort of drift from the expectation, you could query it with CW.

I guess we are all a little like watch movements in that our “tolerances” are all different. I clearly got a “slacker” tolerance scale built into my temperament. :lol:
Steve.
DanielDZ
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by DanielDZ »

My 5-day power reserve ran for close to 6 days in general which left me feeling smug, so I get your point. That said, if mine ran at 38 hours despite being quoted 42, I’d be fine with it. Each to their own though, I hope your second test comes back with better results.
Current watches: Tudor Black bay 36 Black dial, C65 Trident GMT Black/Orange, C30 Malvern Chronometer LTD

Previously owned CW: C65 automatic blue, C9 5-day 40mm
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

Thermexman wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:07 pm Hi Paul, I tested mine when I first bought it and mentioned it in a post. In fact, you quoted me in the same post. I can’t remember how to link to a previous post so here’s a cut & paste excerpt:

“Well, it ran for 46hrs & 5mins on one full wind.
It was +3 secs after 36hrs and +1 after 40hrs. By 45hrs it had slowed to -15 secs.
I’ll take that.”

I know that it will seem easy for me to say this, being as my power reserve was 46 hrs (no idea if that is repeatable without testing) but I have other watches that fall way short of the expectations and it doesn’t bother me. I’d only be bothered if they way say, out by 50% or so?

I’d view the quoted power reserves of any watch as “a ball park figure” rather than a guaranteed expectation.

I’d advise that you accept 38hrs as “close enough” and just enjoy the watch.

Having said that, I understand where you are coming from and if you can’t accept that sort of drift from the expectation, you could query it with CW.

I guess we are all a little like watch movements in that our “tolerances” are all different. I clearly got a “slacker” tolerance scale built into my temperament. :lol:

Cheers for that Steve. I have emailed CW but as usual no response as yet. Surprise surprise.
I get what you’re saying. I will probably just swallow 38hrs and live with that. It’s not gonna affect how I wear it.
But I will say this. I will not be buying any more CW’s.
I just don’t think the quality matches the hype. I love my two CW’s and will love wearing them, along with my other watches. But after this, albeit a little problem, I will be moving on to other brands. There’s a fantastic array of brands out there and life is short.
I’ve spent enough man hours phoning chasing and emailing this company over the past 10 months that I’m spent. I’ll stay on this forum as I enjoy the fantastic people on here along with the banter. But future purchases will be shown on the non-CW thread. :thumbup:
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

DanielDZ wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:51 pm My 5-day power reserve ran for close to 6 days in general which left me feeling smug, so I get your point. That said, if mine ran at 38 hours despite being quoted 42, I’d be fine with it. Each to their own though, I hope your second test comes back with better results.
My C1 is just over 5 days which is good. Will post result of second test. :thumbup:
C65 Trident Diver Blue
QPRcat
Junior
Junior

Post by QPRcat »

My ‘nearly new’ C65 trident doesn’t even last thru the night! I gave it a wind last night and it stopped today at 7:30 am!

I need send it back but reading all the reports it seems such a hassle!!!
QPRcat
Junior
Junior

Post by QPRcat »

Sorry, I should have added that I purchased it in the recent sale.