FLE #8 Parameter poll

Discuss Christopher Ward watches

Please check all that apply

I like the 2 tone ceramic GMT bezel in Charcoal and silvery graphite.
9%
I like blue PVD case.
5%
I like the standard C60 Case.
6%
I like an all brushed case.
5%
I like the smoked translucent dial.
4%
I like the smoked translucent dial with device imprint.
3%
I like a solid color dial.
7%
I would like the twin flags applied rather than embossed on the dial.
7%
I would like the twin flags embossed rather than applied on the dial.
2%
I prefer a design based on the C60 MkIII.
6%
I prefer a design based on the C60 MkIII GMT.
7%
I prefer a 38mm size.
2%
I prefer a 40mm size (C60 MkIII only)
6%
I prefer a 42mm size.
9%
I would pay up to £ 1070 ($1235) for a C60 MkIII GMT FLE.
7%
I would pay up to £870 ($1010) for a C60 MkIII FLE.
6%
I will buy the the FLE if I like the final design.
10%

Total votes: 599

lisnalee
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Re: FLE #8 Parameter poll

Post by lisnalee »

Macca wrote:Why can’t I see the poll, is it the website I need to use and not crapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is a wee blue icon on the screen with Tapatalk. I've attached a pic for youImage

Edit: Guy beat me to it.
C7 Rapide Day-Date COSC LE #10/100
C60 Trident Elite 1000 COSC LE #50/300
C1 Grand Malvern Small Second COSC
Macca

Post by Macca »

Thanks all, Ferg beat you all, I can’t see it, just an icon saying I don’t have enough kin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dynamite_Kid19
Expert
Expert

Post by Dynamite_Kid19 »

Kip wrote:The answer to the 2 tone bezel number lume question is yes. If black numbers are used they can be lumed. Not certain how that would be done at 3 and 9 though.

The reality is that the black, although it will glow, is not very good to begin with and would severely pale next to the white.
Here is a picture how Hager did the number split at 3 (6 on the bezel) and 9 (18 on the bezel) on a black and white beze. They used black and white lume. I do know they shipped some of them with accidently with all white numbers and it didn't look good, image attached from Hodinkee.

Davosa recently released a black/white bezel with all silver numbers and the silver blends with the white. I think black numbers would have to be used on the charcoal section for better contrast. ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

So 1 of the main FLE8 design features on the GMT version would adversely affect 1 of the main new and much liked features on the C60 Mk3 ?

That'll need some thinking about at over £1000.
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

Solid grey bezel with white numbers would solve the issue.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

MarkingTime wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:58 pm Solid grey bezel with white numbers would solve the issue.
:thumbup:
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

Mikkei4 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:01 pm
MarkingTime wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:58 pm Solid grey bezel with white numbers would solve the issue.
:thumbup:
Actually, white numbers would work on a two tone grey as well, so long as the lighter grey were not too light.

Keeping things simple is usually the best approach in my opinion.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Being honest, those numbers don't look too good to me for getting this off the ground. Looking at the splits I just can't see how we are going to get to a design that a minimum of 25 people will be happy to pay a premium for. Only my opinion, obviously, but it's not looking favourable so far. I hope I'm wrong as I'd like to see another FLE but, looking at the numbers I think I'll be bowing out already as my preferences just won't have enough backing.
lisnalee
Guru
Guru

Post by lisnalee »

I think it will be more clear cut once the options are reduced, to choose between say 2 watches that can be tweaked further. If that happens and we get to vote again we should see straight away if it's going ahead or not. I guess realistically you would need at least 30-35 yes votes on a design to be hopefully guaranteed 25 to actually go ahead and purchase it once finalized.

Already though its looking like it won't have the twin flags embossed or be 38mm, so that might rule some out ATM. Perhaps as a suggestion before the next round of voting, all concerns should be listed and addressed now so there's not a load of people dropping out at the end, cause it says FLE on the back instead of LE or something similar.
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

TigerChris wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:06 am Being honest, those numbers don't look too good to me for getting this off the ground. Looking at the splits I just can't see how we are going to get to a design that a minimum of 25 people will be happy to pay a premium for. Only my opinion, obviously, but it's not looking favourable so far. I hope I'm wrong as I'd like to see another FLE but, looking at the numbers I think I'll be bowing out already as my preferences just won't have enough backing.
I agree, to a point, but once the options are whittled down, those votes might switch to other preferences and actually increase some of the total numbers for the remaining options.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

There’s a lot of sense in the above few posts. I said earlier that I would not be participating; this is not because I don’t like any of the watches, but simply because I don’t want to add any more to the collection – rather, I want to reduce.

However, having observed and participated in quite a number of FLE processes, it strikes me that this is a good time for people to start considering what they will be prepared to compromise on, and just as importantly what they will NOT be prepared to compromise on. As an example, if I were intending to take part and ultimately buy the watch, my sticking point would be white dial and white hands. That seems to be a fairly popular choice, but it is the point at which I would be saying no thank you. For pretty much everything else I would be keeping an open mind.

For some of you it may be the size, for others it will be the choice between a straight diver and a GMT. Case material and with it the ability to add a bracelet. And so on.

In an elimination process like this, it is inevitable that someone somewhere will hit the jackpot and get exactly the combination that they wanted. For the rest the question of compromise will come into it, so as I just said above it is worth considering where you will and will not compromise.

Some great discussions here, by the way. I have enjoyed following this thread.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

The voting stats are very interesting and someone with better analytical skills than me could probably deduce some sort of trend.

Although you could vote for all options, I myself only voted for the 42mm size. Everything else not ruled out until choices are whittled down.

Some great comments and a fascinating process unfolding.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Galton321
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 14
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Galton321 »

Life is full of compromises. My decision is, however, simple. I don't like the GMT design offered so they are out no matter what other variations are offered. So down to the C60 design. Of these I like the blue PVD, I.have never seen this done before. Blue translucent dial, possible. The other C60s not sufficiently distinctive from standard C60. So it looks like I will be disappointed. Although I tried to produce a decision tree using the survey data to find a definite front runner. But I'll give it another go.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Galton321 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:01 am Life is full of compromises. My decision is, however, simple. I don't like the GMT design offered so they are out no matter what other variations are offered. So down to the C60 design. Of these I like the blue PVD, I.have never seen this done before. Blue translucent dial, possible. The other C60s not sufficiently distinctive from standard C60. So it looks like I will be disappointed. Although I tried to produce a decision tree using the survey data to find a definite front runner. But I'll give it another go.
It sounds like you are of the same sort of mindset as me about the case. I’m 100% behind the blue PVD also, but don’t see the regular C60 as ‘sufficiently distinctive’ enough (I’ve quoted that as I like how you’ve put that :D ). Yes, life is full of compromises, but how many people can afford to make too many compromises when spending the best part of a grand. There lies the issue in my opinion. I’m still trying to keep an open mind though as, whether it will be a design I like or not, I’d love to see it get off the ground. My personal issue also is that I currently have a clear vision as to where I want my collection to go and so can’t afford to go spending money on compromises.
lisnalee
Guru
Guru

Post by lisnalee »

I'm interested in the blue pvd case also but id like to see a real life photo of the actual colour on a case before I'd choose it. if it ends up being super dark blue that looks black from a distance there'd be no point in it. The render shows nice bright highlights on the case, but in real life it will be a dull, most likely a Matt finish.

Plus, for me anyway the buckle would need to be pvd blue to match the case too.