C60 Apex

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: C60 Apex

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Yes and no? What I think is undeniable is that 50 people will be perfectly happy to pay the price asked, and others will be left wanting. I shall not be one of the 50, nor will I feel left out, but that’s neither here nor there.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:06 am Yes and no? What I think is undeniable is that 50 people will be perfectly happy to pay the price asked, and others will be left wanting. I shall not be one of the 50, nor will I feel left out, but that’s neither here nor there.
You have it spot on there and exactly my thoughts.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

So much of this is to do with brand perception. A very early CW strapline was “The Cheapest Most Expensive Watch in the World“ or something similar. Whilst they still want to give good value for money (and I think that throughout most of the ranges they do) there is no harm in aiming a little higher every now and then. The problem is that people invariably come to associate a brand with a price point or price range and find it hard to accept anything outside that range. Recent issues have probably not done a great deal to improve that perception, we all know that, but I think we have to look at the product itself and ask ourselves whether we feel it is worth the money. Interestingly if the exact same watch had Omega or Rolex on the dial would it be worth the price that they would be asking? I suppose that’s a very hypothetical question.

To my mind £3000 is quite a lot for a watch. I have paid sums in that region on two occasions: slightly less than that for my Cartier in 2016, and slightly more for my Speedy in 2017. Those watches both have their fans and their critics, but the fact is that if you want one they command prices they command.

Slightly off topic – I like my colourful shirts. I know of places where I could get them as cheap as chips, but they probably wouldn’t fit well and would be made of some nasty material that could make me feel uncomfortable. I compromise. I go to Debenhams and buy the Mantaray cotton shirts, which I like and which I can sometimes get half price (around £17.50) in end of season sales. I have occasionally paid full price for one, but if they were £70 or £80 would I be buying them? Interesting question.

Equally, I could buy my shirts from Vilebrequin where they start at £170. Would I pay that much for a shirt? I think probably not, but clearly there are people who do.

I know very little about the marketing and retail industries, except that it’s a minefield. You pays your money...
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Scott told me there is going to be 100pcs
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Well.... I'm on the reserve list for the C60 Apex and it will be an expensive watch irrespective of whether it is a CW or anything else. However, if it is anything like as strong a statement as the C7 Apex was then it will be worth it. For the record I also own a C7 Apex and the quote that this was a $10,000 watch (from Omega manager) also from me. It can be very hard for a brand to reposition itself but for CW the "halo effect" can be worth it. Remember all the attention CW received from the C7 Apex being entered into the GPHG competition in 2018. Free marketing like that is priceless in raising brand awareness.

Dang... Now I sound like I work in marketing (or for ablogtowatch). I don't, I really don't. Honest.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

It may well be a nice watch when it's released, but at £2k+ (in reality closer to 3k) I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole until they get their house in order. Yes they should be applauded for doing these halo models, but when you are known for selling good value, solid attractive pieces with quality customer service then this needs to shine through across the brand, otherwise you are just asking for trouble and 2019 has been trouble.

No point offering premium products at premium prices, when they can't get the basics right ie. poor customer service, questionable qc, question marks regarding servicing, website performance, poor communication, false promises, international delivery and return issues, inaccurate customs declarations etc

Sorry guys, just my opinion.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

From the "Other Brands" section (and not a dig at you, Chris so please don't take it that way) posted by McDaWisel

"Seen all the bad press, I am trying to put things into perspective:

About 6 weeks ago my Rolex GMT Master II came back from an 800 Euro service after 3 months, there were dust specs all over the dial and they managed to “smudge” one of the lume pips. Had to send it back through the AD. Took another month to get right.

My 6 months old Sinn 103 is running 40 minutes (minutes not seconds) fast a day, I think the balance spring got caught (again). Waiting on them to send me a return label. A week after I originally bought the watch the leather band snapped. Nearly fell on a tiled floor, caught it just in time. They were apologetic and send me a new strap, but sent the wrong clasp, a steel instead of a titanium one that watch came with. I only realized after getting a rash.

My 3 month old Breiting’s bezel spring just broke and it’s rotating freely without clicking. Currently figuring out how I can return it as I bought it on holidays. Emailed them a week ago and no answer. Going into a local AD over the weekend to see if they can help.

There 2 watches in my box that I wear regularly that have never given me problems: the C60 MK3 Elite 1000 and an automatic swatch Sistem51 that’s about 5 years old.

Our hobby is a frustrating one to say the least. :-)

For my CW purchases: there were some issues with delivery timeframes if you expect amazon prime style speed, but otherwise:

Bought a C60 mk2 Ti - perfect (currently for sale on the forum).

Bought the C60 mk3 elite at the CW HQ, no issues. I was worried about the winding being a little “grindy”, but after extensive research, seems to be Ok.

Bought a C65 Pepsi that I returned a couple of weeks later for a full refund - no issues other than that I didn’t get the original return emails.

Overall I must say I am very happy with CW..."

A lot of CWs' problems come from the fact that they are an internet only brand and as such their communication certainly needs to be improved. I'm not excusing the issues that they have had and it they must be very frustrating for those caught up in them. Their communication could certainly be improved regarding expected service times, service costs, etc. They would do well to publicly address these issues and their resolution. As a company they have to move forward, fix the issues, communicate the solution and keep producing watches for as many customers as possible.
Mark
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

I can only speak from my own experiences with CW and other brands.

Clearly if you buy from a retailer you are dealing with an intermediary, with CW you are dealing direct and therefore dealing with 'issues' should be easier. Fortunately I've not really had any issues with other brands that I own, I've spoken with Oris a couple of times and they are very efficient and have a turnaround for service/warranty issues in approx. 4 weeks.

Sadly CW continue to be inconsistent in my experience to the point that I won't buy any more watches from them until they improve. I'm not saying they don't have good transactions, but clearly many customers on here and also on Trustpilot confirm that service and quality has been poor throughout 2019.

Only last week I purchased a Trident, didn't chase up delivery and 2 days later was advised of a mistake on the ad, with the wrong watch advertised. I accepted the alternative, was told it would be posted the same day and it wasn't. The original watch (incl the incorrect description) was then re-advertised and pulled when I messaged them.

Nobody seems to check anything I'm afraid, whether that's a lack of staff, poorly trained staff, too much work, wrong skillset...the list goes on.
Under promise, over deliver would be a better way as opposed to over promise and don't deliver.

Anyway back to the Apex, it's not for me!
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

Fair enough.
Mark