Discuss Christopher Ward watches
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Storage of watch boxes

Post by johnnysharp2 »

Hi,

As you may have seen from other threads I am finally starting to use collection boxes to store my watches in, awaiting delivery of my CW one before I finally get finished.

However, what do you guys do with all the empty individual watch boxes?

The bigger the collection the more boxes you have - I have loads, having just started tidying my loft, I have found 2 large plastic containers with lids, kind of thing you would use for kiddies toys.

With the watch boxes containing leather is there any issue with storing all the boxes (with no watches inside), in my loft within the containers?

I have covered the inside with tissue, do I need to buy some silica gel also to protect the boxes, as you can imagine with loft insulation especially at the moment it's quite hot up there.

Apologies if it is a stupid question!

Cheers.
Johnny
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Storage of watch boxes

Post by Essex Paul »

Exactly what I’m about to do. Have a plastic storage box with snap on lid incoming from Ebay.
It’s for my watch boxes and I’m thinking of putting them in a large plastic bin bag before putting in the box. Then the loft. :thumbup:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by johnnysharp2 »

Cheers Paul, I think it's a sensible thing to do but just wanted a second opinion.

I guess we don't need the silica gel also?
Johnny
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

My Watch Boxes are all in under-bed storage drawers and wardrobes.

That way I can get at them quickly when I'm looking to sell something.

As for loft storage; to have them as boxes within a box and damp proofed with silica gel sounds like the way to go. :thumbup:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

I've been wondering the same about some of my boxes recently; probably actually going to get rid of some of the non-special ones to make space.
Also, in rather timely fashion, this popped into my inbox a few minutes ago: http://www.thetimebum.com/2019/07/watch ... -hell.html
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by johnnysharp2 »

Thanks - I have always kept most of my watches in their individual boxes and do have space for that, but just seems a bit daft having several take up an entire drawer in a chest, several drawers!

I have stored a lot of my non CW boxes now as I said earlier in a large plastic container, with tissue and sealed with a lid. I have another one I can use for my CW 7 - most of which are in the older style deluxe boxes and as you all know they are pretty big.

Daft question number 2 - I have never opened any of the gel sachets in my watch boxes - I take it I don't open them for storing my boxes?
Johnny
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

johnnysharp2 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:16 pm Cheers Paul, I think it's a sensible thing to do but just wanted a second opinion.

I guess we don't need the silica gel also?
Nah. Silica gel not needed. Gotta breath.
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

johnnysharp2 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:09 pm Thanks - I have always kept most of my watches in their individual boxes and do have space for that, but just seems a bit daft having several take up an entire drawer in a chest, several drawers!

I have stored a lot of my non CW boxes now as I said earlier in a large plastic container, with tissue and sealed with a lid. I have another one I can use for my CW 7 - most of which are in the older style deluxe boxes and as you all know they are pretty big.

Daft question number 2 - I have never opened any of the gel sachets in my watch boxes - I take it I don't open them for storing my boxes?
Leave unopened in the boxes. :thumbup:
C65 Trident Diver Blue
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by johnnysharp2 »

Essex Paul wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:17 pm
johnnysharp2 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:09 pm Thanks - I have always kept most of my watches in their individual boxes and do have space for that, but just seems a bit daft having several take up an entire drawer in a chest, several drawers!

Leave unopened in the boxes. :thumbup:
Ta thought so, have ordered some from eBay.
Johnny
Craig64
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Craig64 »

Hi Folks
I very recently did the same thing as recommended by others, and put my watch boxes in a big plastic container, now in the loft.
I put the boxes inside black plastic bin bags but only to keep them hidden from sending out signals that the property has a load of luxury watches, should any burglar poke their head into the loft.

Just on the silica gel bags that were mentioned:
If the storage containers are not fully sealed, and air tight, the silica gel will offer a very limited benefit. Once the silica gel absorbs the surrounding humidity, it will stop pulling any further moisture out of the air, unless “dried out”.
Regards
Craig
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

Craig64 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:54 pm Hi Folks
I very recently did the same thing as recommended by others, and put my watch boxes in a big plastic container, now in the loft.
I put the boxes inside black plastic bin bags but only to keep them hidden from sending out signals that the property has a load of luxury watches, should any burglar poke their head into the loft.

Just on the silica gel bags that were mentioned:
If the storage containers are not fully sealed, and air tight, the silica gel will offer a very limited benefit. Once the silica gel absorbs the surrounding humidity, it will stop pulling any further moisture out of the air, unless “dried out”.
Thats why I bought containers with snap on lids from eBay. Lined with tissue paper sheets, 10 silica gel packs then snap on the lid. :thumbup:
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Mani
CW-watches: 6

Post by Mani »

I use the Really Useful storage boxes to store all of my watch boxes. They are stackable, and I use 6 of them with a Ikea table top on top of them, and tablecloth over it, as a desk. Good solution for living in a flat with no loft!
5 CWs, 1 Panerai, 2 Omega, 1 Rolex, 1 Tag, 1 Ball, 1 Zenith, 1 Tudor, 1 GS
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

Mani wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:44 am I use the Really Useful storage boxes to store all of my watch boxes. They are stackable, and I use 6 of them with a Ikea table top on top of them, and tablecloth over it, as a desk. Good solution for living in a flat with no loft!
Sounds a brilliant idea.
Great solution. :clap:
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

The obvious solution, of course, is the lateral thinking one.

What is it that creates an excess of watch boxes?

Yes, that’s right - an excess of watches!

Sell the ones you don’t wear and don’t buy any more.

I’ll get me coat. :escape:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:24 pm The obvious solution, of course, is the lateral thinking one.

What is it that creates an excess of watch boxes?

Yes, that’s right - an excess of watches!

Sell the ones you don’t wear and don’t buy any more.

I’ll get me coat. :escape:

Yes get your coat. 😂
I’m acquiring another today. So eBay here I come for a stage box. 👍
C65 Trident Diver Blue