Is this acceptable on a £1250 watch?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Lee123

Re: Is this acceptable on a £1250 watch?

Post by Lee123 »

Hi I am new to the forum so please excuse me if jumping in late on this topic but I bought a Blue dial C60 two weeks ago and upon it's arrival I had the same issue with the bezel being extremely sloppy.
I sent a video to Cristopher Ward and the sales advisor agreed it had a lot of excess movement so arranged to send it back. Today they emailed to say it is within their acceptable tolerances....I disagree and now sadly waiting for them to reply regarding a refund.
It is a real shame as it is a lovely looking watch.
Two other watches I have from Christopher Ward do not have this problem and so I know they are capable of better.
Is this just a problem with the new c60 or was I just unlucky and just the odd couple with this fault?
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

If as you state, you weren’t happy with it on arrival and got in touch with CW immediately, it would make sense that you wouldn’t have worn it?

If that’s the case, simply return it for a refund under the 60/60 returns policy. If, however, you wore it anyway, you might just have a bit more of a problem, especially if it shows signs of being worn.
Steve.
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

The “within tolerances” line again.
More QC mistakes??
A bezel should never be sloppy.

Agree should never have worn it. Hopefully you didn’t.
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Twan-Sloot

Post by Twan-Sloot »

another Elite 1000 owner here. The rotational movement seems normal in the OP's video mine does that too, (maybe a bit less on mine but I got beach sand in there to stiffen things up :lol: ) though the lateral movement from the bezel I see in the video is definitely not apparent on my watch, I can see the gap between the bezel and the crystal become slightly larger in the video that doesn't seem normal to me. but that might be the "within tolerances". It isn't to bad either, I think if the bezel lines up and functions properly it's good to go. You probably won't notice it anyway, since the watch always moves a bit on the wrist when you use the bezel, that movement makes slack in the bezel fade away when in use, at least that's my experience with rotating bezels.
meinberg
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by meinberg »

Simple answer NO! My C60 Mk2 has negligible rotational movement, your video makes your Elite 1000 look like a cheap knock off. Return your watch, you will be doing CW a disservice by keeping what appears a poor quality specimen.

It is sad to see but they have serious QC issues at the moment, keeping poor quality watches will not help them fix the problems, ultimately it could see them going out of business, which would be ironic as they have had, up until now, a reputation for quality way above the price tag.

Come on team CW, you might be down but hopefully not out!
Craig64
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Craig64 »

I bought the C60 40mm version of the Mk3 Trident. Comparing the bezel with the Mk2 version (in both 38mm and 43mm case sizes), my new Mk3 definitely has more lateral play (side to side) movement. But then Mk3 bezel has been redesigned internally so it is perhaps difficult to compare like for like.

To be honest I would have preferred less play. However in practice, the extra bit of play really causes me zero issues at all. It does not affect its functionality, I can not notice it unless I seek to feel for it when turning the bezel, and overall I prefer the new bezel over the old design, as it is smoother and easier to operate, and has applied lume.

I realise that this topic is perhaps subjective, but for my part, it certainly won't stop me buying another Trident Mk3.
Regards
Craig
Squee

Post by Squee »

I bought the 42 mm Mk3 pro in red bezel variant. (I realize that the color shouldn’t matter... unless these are “batched” by color during the production process.)

Regardless, my experience is that the bezel has a bit of backplay on it — it moves a little past its ideal resting point when I rotate it one “click.” To align perfectly, I then need to turn it back clockwise slightly, until it settles into lockout position. There is no further rotational play once I put it into lockout, and only a very slight lateral play on the bezel.

Based on the video, it looks like my bezel is tighter than that of the OP. I can understand his frustration about it — I might well send it back, because of the play.

For what it’s worth, I bought the Mk 3 partly because of the improved bezel action. I also have an Aquis, and that bezel has no lateral play or back play, but it’s still inferior to the Mk 3 — the Aquis bezel is difficult to rotate, quick to jam, and has already been returned under warranty for service— supposedly it’s within their “design tolerance.” Sound familiar?
angusbon
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by angusbon »

Like many, I have, and still do, owned quite a few variations of the trident and have never,ever had a bezel action that shocking!
What is more alarming is the " within tolerance " attitude of both the company and this forum...
As soon as I saw the video I tried the bezel on all my c60s and there is NO backplay, or lateral movement.
Send it back is my humble opinion, considering the spiel regarding comparing the bezel to higher end watches.....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Squee wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:52 pm.
For what it’s worth, I bought the Mk 3 partly because of the improved bezel action. I also have an Aquis, and that bezel has no lateral play or back play, but it’s still inferior to the Mk 3 — the Aquis bezel is difficult to rotate, quick to jam, and has already been returned under warranty for service— supposedly it’s within their “design tolerance.” Sound familiar?
Not wanting to go off topic, but is your Aquis an older or current model?

Have it on my 2-watch wishlist, so any feedback is great.
Ryan
Fat-Sam
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Fat-Sam »

I've got the new mk3 40mm, my first CW (2weeks old)

I was disappointed with the bezel... but I'm not sure I would have been as disappointed if I hadn't seen and heard CW co owners stating it's the best bezel out there outside Rolex and explaining how much they've improved it. A lot of watches have different amounts of play, clicking sounds or resistance... but to make such a big deal I think they've opened themselves up to extra scrutiny.

Mine also has a rotor that spins when I handwind the watch and a questionable power reserve, so I'm reluctantly sending it back(still waiting for my returns packaging), im really hoping it's made good in time for the gtg on 31st August as I want to join the CW community (does that make me sound sad and desperate?! haha) but not sure I would buy again if this purchase doesnt work out.
“Downsizing…”
JLC Reverso Duoface med.*gift
Omega Seamaster Deville 1961
DIY Watch Club Diver
DIY Explorer
Raymond Weil Toccata
SevenFriday P1/01
Longines x HODINKEE *FS
Laco Aachen 42 *FS
Tribus MDS *FS
gatehealing
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Post by gatehealing »

My squale sits firmly in place, can be turned with no trouble, and there is no play. While it may be “ok,” I certainly would prefer an expensive watch to feel sturdy, and if I had doubts, I’d definitely contact them for a solution
Ringwood

Post by Ringwood »

I just looked at your video and to be honest that would drive me up the wall. When something is an expensive luxury we want it to be right and small faults spoil the experience of owning it
Ringwood

Post by Ringwood »

Really? Seiko divers have nice precise bezel movements without any play, so does my old Longines and many other watches I've used
tomc1944 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:45 am There has to be so play in it so that it can move.
Blackdog
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Blackdog »

Ringwood wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:33 pm Really? Seiko divers have nice precise bezel movements without any play, so does my old Longines and many other watches I've used
Really !?

In my experience Seiko divers' bezels are terrible ! Only the occasional one has decent action....
Ringwood

Post by Ringwood »

I've had four, all good.

In my experience Seiko divers' bezels are terrible ! Only the occasional one has decent action....
[/quote]