C60 MK3. what would you change ?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Blackdog
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

C60 MK3. what would you change ?

Post by Blackdog »

Now that the MK3 has been out for a while and we've had the chance to see all the design changes in the metal and in comparison to the MK2...

What would you change for a hypothetical MK3.5 ?

For me it's the hands. Probably the only thing I would want to change. The new design works, but I'm still not in love. Maybe if the arrow was a bit wider...

What about you ?

(extra points for not mentioning the removal of the brand at "9")... :lol:
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: C60 MK3. what would you change ?

Post by neilj568 »

Agree with the hour hands and would make the twin flags more visible
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

No extra points for me then but the issue didn't start with the Mk3 and it's not limited to the Tridents. I've yet to see the Mk3 in the flesh so the comments are only based on the photos.

Swap the location (or colours) of name and flags.
On the GMT I'd like to see red writing and a red GMT hand to match.
The arrow on the hour hand very slightly shorter maybe.
The square end of both hands to be slightly shorter so the minute hand doesn't overlap the arrow base of the hour hand when opposite each other.
Date wheel colour to match the dial colour on blue watch.
Remove the painted square around the date.
Add "Trident" back onto the dial and move movement type or WR/depth rating onto back plate.

I reserve the right to change my mind on any of the above if somebody does some mock-ups of the suggestions and I don't like what I've suggested. :D :oops: :?

TBH - I'm nit-picking and would probably go and buy a blue GMT if only CW would move what would have earned me extra points had I not mentioned it (3 times here :) ).
Craig64
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Craig64 »

I bought the 40mm case size Mk3.
B4475329-91DB-4E89-A39C-BB7BC029C6C5.jpeg
I don’t want to see any changes to what is an outstanding upgrade over the previous version.
Regards
Craig
2otto2

Post by 2otto2 »

absolutely great case, good colors/variations and nice sizes.
Those are keepers.

But:
- sorry for being blunt: name positioning and font is downright ugly and unbalances the dial massively.
- the hands show the strain for being different at all costs, but it's not a pleasant sight for me (shape of the hour hand, overlapping "counterbalance" of both hands)

Both points made me return the C60 Mk3.

oh, and for the c65 diver:
- glass bottom
- add a 39mm version - that size is more up to date for retro styled watches
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

<edit> removed image, don't want to start another branding discussion..
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

I don't want to see any changes, especially not to the logo and twin flags, and their positioning, which are great. (I only single out this point to counter-balance the negative comments about them, as people who are happy with them, like me, tend not to keep going on about how content we are with them, which then creates a false impression.)

I would just like to see some new colour variations introduced, particularly for the 40mm size, but also for the GMT variant. And the QC improved to ensure any defective pieces are kept to a minimum.

PS: If the word "England" is introduced into the logo as per Frank's mock-up above, then I WOULD have a serious problem with buying one, as would a lot of non-English British people I suspect. :thumbdown:
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Fat-Sam
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Fat-Sam »

I agree with the above, as someone who likes the name/font/position/logo

After sending my first ever CW, a 40mm c60, back due to the old "rotor spinning when you wind it" issue and a "harsh" feeling bezel I wasnt sure if I'd just expected too much, due to MF's spiel on the Scottish Watches podcast where I'd been told to expect something amazing. Or was I right and these issues were real?

Well the replacement proved me right as it is like a different watch- the bezel feels great and the movement is fine, the watch is a lovely size and had a nice feeling of heft to it. Feels solid and good quality.

Maybe I'd like the twin flags logo slightly more prominent... but regardless I do like the slightly unconventional style of the dial and hands- in a world of sub homages.

Actually one thing is an extra mm or 2 on the clasp (as my weight goes up and down like a bipolar yoyo in a lift)

But all in all I'm a very happy customer
“Downsizing…”
JLC Reverso Duoface med.*gift
Omega Seamaster Deville 1961
DIY Watch Club Diver
DIY Explorer
Raymond Weil Toccata
SevenFriday P1/01
Longines x HODINKEE *FS
Laco Aachen 42 *FS
Tribus MDS *FS
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

welshlad wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:14 pm I don't want to see any changes...

I would just like to see some new colour variations introduced, particularly for the 40mm size, but also for the GMT variant. And the QC improved to ensure any defective pieces are kept to a minimum.
Thanks Steve, you saved me a bit of effort typing.

+1
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

If it ain't broke, why fix it. Image

Worth remembering that the C60 Trident Mk3 has only been available for three months now, versus the MkI which was available for 5+ years (Sep 2009 to Jan 2015) and the MKII available for 4+ years (Jan 2015 to date).

I'm sure there is plenty of opportunity for new variations and colourways in the next few years. :wink:

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Craig64
Senior
Senior

Post by Craig64 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:27 pm If it ain't broke, why fix it. Image

Worth remembering that the C60 Trident Mk3 has only been available for three months now, versus the MkI which was available for 5+ years (Sep 2009 to Jan 2015) and the MKII available for 4+ years (Jan 2015 to date).

I'm sure there is plenty of opportunity for new variations and colourways in the next few years. :wink:

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
Points very well made Guy.
I too, will be looking out for new colour variations, especially in the new 40mm case size, as mentioned by others. Exciting prospects ahead..... :D
Regards
Craig
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

I only mentioned the hands but I realised that I agree with some of the points raised, like a more prominent flags logo on the dial and more options in 40mm.

A couple more thing I now think of are small dots between the numbers of the GMT bezel, to mark the odd hours.
And dual color GMT bezel inserts would also be nice.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:27 pm If it ain't broke, why fix it. Image

Guy
I'm sure you are right Guy, it's just that I'm impatient!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

2otto2 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:37 pm absolutely great case, good colors/variations and nice sizes.
Those are keepers.

But:
- sorry for being blunt: name positioning and font is downright ugly and unbalances the dial massively.
- the hands show the strain for being different at all costs, but it's not a pleasant sight for me (shape of the hour hand, overlapping "counterbalance" of both hands)
Totally agree. I continue to utterly detest the current branding and have no reason to start liking it now. Or even accept it - so I don't. And the hour hand is equally jarring to my eyes. I like the case size options and the shape to some extent but see no real advantage over the outgoing mk2 version.

Subjective points and I'll continue to state my subjective opinion, thanks.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

I'm holding out for the C60 retro Mk3 which looks like the .......... C60 Mk2 hahahaha
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands