Are import duties still an issue?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
dickopf

Re: Are import duties still an issue?

Post by dickopf »

Anybody in Canada have a breakdown of what they had to pay in fees to DHL?
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

"If I buy a phone and it is shipped by DHL, will they expect me to know the value of the screen, processor, RAM etc, or is this issue unique to watches?"

Yes, it is an issue unique to watches for some reason known only to those at the US Commerce department. Suppose it has to do with various precious metals?
Still, this should be something handled by CW, not dumped on the unsuspecting customer. Sadly, I won't be a buyer again until they get this sorted out.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

dickopf wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:50 am Anybody in Canada have a breakdown of what they had to pay in fees to DHL?
CWL doesn't use DHL for shipments to Canada. All purchases now ship Royal Mail / Canada Post. With Canada Post shipments you will only pay fees and taxes IF your package is inspected by Customs. My experience has been that about 1 in 3 international parcels are inspected and duties/taxes assessed.
Fees will be as follows:
$10 Canada Post brokerage fee.
5% duty on the complete watch. I don't know the duty on straps or accessories, as mine have always avoided fees.
5% GST + applicable provincial tax.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
dickopf

Post by dickopf »

Lavaine wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:32 am
dickopf wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:50 am Anybody in Canada have a breakdown of what they had to pay in fees to DHL?
CWL doesn't use DHL for shipments to Canada. All purchases now ship Royal Mail / Canada Post. With Canada Post shipments you will only pay fees and taxes IF your package is inspected by Customs. My experience has been that about 1 in 3 international parcels are inspected and duties/taxes assessed.
Fees will be as follows:
5% duty on the complete watch. I don't know the duty on straps or accessories, as mine have always avoided fees.
Hmm interesting. My watched shipped with DHL, even though I opted for royal mail.
I was charged 159$ on top of the $1091 for the watch/bracelet. That's 14.5%, 1.5% higher than standard sales tax in Ontario. I am fine with this.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

dickopf wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:38 am
Fees will be as follows:
Hmm interesting. My watched shipped with DHL, even though I opted for royal mail.
I was charged 159$ on top of the $1091 for the watch/bracelet. That's 14.5%, 1.5% higher than standard sales tax in Ontario. I am fine with this.
That is a very reasonable brokerage fee, and only a few dollars more than CP would have charged. I've never received any international shipments by DHL, but have often heard they charge significantly less than the big 3. As far as receiving your shipment by DHL, was this recently? They changed the website to reflect RM/CP shipping only at least a few weeks ago. If this was a recent order, it's yet another example of CW still not getting their poop in a group as far as customer service is concerned.
dickopf

Post by dickopf »

Lavaine wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:04 pm
dickopf wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:38 am
Fees will be as follows:
That is a very reasonable brokerage fee, and only a few dollars more than CP would have charged. I've never received any international shipments by DHL, but have often heard they charge significantly less than the big 3. As far as receiving your shipment by DHL, was this recently? They changed the website to reflect RM/CP shipping only at least a few weeks ago. If this was a recent order, it's yet another example of CW still not getting their poop in a group as far as customer service is concerned.
Yes this was ordered July 11 so very recent. DHL is fast too, it shipped July 18 and it will be here tomorrow or tuesday.
nektie

Post by nektie »

Got hit by $48 CAD duties upon ordering a $230 Trident MK3 bracelet :( How do they even calculate it?
Markornot
Guru
Guru

Post by Markornot »

On my last order, the below invoice with customs sticker was attached to the exterior of the shipping box. The standard DHL shipment arrived at my US doorstep in two days and no DHL or customs fees (> $800) were assessed. Perhaps the code helped expedite the process thru customs at the POE as I have not seen this sticker on any previous shipments.
20190905_132648.jpg
Mark
CW - C8 Flyer, C6 JHMk3, C7 Corsa Rosso LE, C3 Chronograph, C8 Reg | TAG Heuer F1 | Orient - Black Raven II, Bambino, Star Seeker GMT, Galant, Monarch | Seagull - Grn Military, Moon Phase | Tissot - Visodate | Steinhart - NavA Pilot MW, NavB Vintage
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

nektie wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:21 pm Got hit by $48 CAD duties upon ordering a $230 Trident MK3 bracelet :( How do they even calculate it?
Sounds like that may have shipped to you via DHL as they take an aggressive brokerage fee then charge you GST and PST on the amount of the bracelet to send to the CRA.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

Viognier wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:04 pm
nektie wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:21 pm Got hit by $48 CAD duties upon ordering a $230 Trident MK3 bracelet :( How do they even calculate it?
Sounds like that may have shipped to you via DHL as they take an aggressive brokerage fee then charge you GST and PST on the amount of the bracelet to send to the CRA.
Do bracelets incur any duty? nektie doesn't say where he is located, but if we assume the Maritimes, with 15% HST, the taxes owed would be $34.50 (plus tax on the brokerage fee). Canada Post brokerage is $10, putting us at $44.50. A small amount of assessed duty, even for a province with a lower tax rate, could easily push fees, even with Royal Mail shipping, to $48.
The other possibility is that they shipped DHL when they shouldn't have, and the customer paid higher fees than he should have, but Canada Post shipping and appropriate fees seems like a reasonable possibility here.

nektie, can you provide a breakdown on the $48, and tell us how the bracelet was shipped?
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Markornot wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:10 pm On my last order, the below invoice with customs sticker was attached to the exterior of the shipping box. The standard DHL shipment arrived at my US doorstep in two days and no DHL or customs fees (> $800) were assessed. Perhaps the code helped expedite the process thru customs at the POE as I have not seen this sticker on any previous shipments.20190905_132648.jpg
Great example of what the CW team have said should happen. Let's see if they can keep up the good work.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Gasman
Senior
Senior

Post by Gasman »

I’ve been charged VAT and import duty on the watches I’ve bought from the States, so I promised that I wouldn’t buy from there again. At the moment I have a Lum-Tec winging its way from the USA. Broken another promise to myself along with one in one out as I haven’t got one I want to sell.
Gasman
Senior
Senior

Post by Gasman »

I’ve got a watch coming to the U.K. from the States by USPS. So far so good nobody has asked for any money yet but there’s still time I suppose.
Gasman
Senior
Senior

Post by Gasman »

After some import duties from USA I said I wouldn’t buy from there again. I bought a watch off eBay for £700 only to find out later it was in Texas it didn’t say so in the listing and I didn’t ask I will in future. Long story short it is being held in the Royal Mail pending a payment of £159 duty, I can’t pay until I receive a letter from them. You live and learn.
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by rcherryuk »

Is the limit of $800 for the goods only, or is postage included?
When receiving items from the US especially UK’s HMRC add the postage price to the item costs, as the UK limit is so low (around £18 ) it’s not uncommon to pay £2 tax and £8 handling charge 🤯
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson