C60 Trident Mk3 Bezel Rocking movement?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: C60 Trident Mk3 Bezel Rocking movement?

Post by PaulJS »

nbg wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:07 pm
PaulJS wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:02 pm
A1soknownas wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:37 pm
Despite the potential of what a quality value for money offering the new Trident may be it is only as good as the worst one they are prepared to let out of the door.

Reputations fall as quickly as they rise, regardless of how many watches that are sent out to youtubers. To be clear I am not criticising this method of promotion but it may indicate a business strategy and a potential change in demographic of the customer that is needed to grow the business which then impacts upon numbers in production, quality tolerances and the ability to provide an appropriate level of customer support.
Absolutely, nail squarely on head.

As always it is a trade off between quality and price - pay top whack and you are paying for the manufacturer to discard a percentage of components / products that don't make the grade - sometimes a significant percentage. Unfortunately, at this price point we are a very long way from this rationale.

When CW were knocking out auto Tridents at a few hundred pounds it wasn't hard to exceed customer expectations. Now that they are pushing into the thousands it can be a much tougher audience and, TBH, people like us who frequent places like can be the toughest!

Personally I would never part with more than £500 for a CW watch because I also have Omega, Rolex and Tag Heuer watches that have given me a metric on quality that I know CW will never match.

This is not to say that they are not great watches - I have half a dozen CW watches which I enjoy owning and which all punch above their weight in terms of value for money, but they cost between £225 and £500 each.

IMHO this sector is where CW's sweet spot was and where they should have stayed because there is a significant amount of gathering evidence that they can neither reliably supply a higher end product nor provide the kind of after sales services that buyers expect at the higher price point.

Having said all of the above, maybe they are more than content flogging more for more to a less discerning audience and hoping that us sometime whinge bags and nay sayers on the forum will just give up and go away leaving this place to be a happy clappy enclave of sycophants!

To coin a phrase....you pays your money and makes your choice.

Paul
Paul I do enjoy your posts. Yet again, in my view, this one is bang on the money. :thumbup:

The North Devon air must be suiting you! :) :lol:

Neil
Cheers Neil,

The North Devon air is certainly suiting me - in fact everything about North Devon suits me!

I think that what is so great about the air, compared to the South East where we moved from, is that there are a lot less people breathing it :lol:

Cheers again,

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

This reminds me of the thread below regarding maximums I would spend on a watch from some brands - the list was made in April '19, a few updates are probably now required and CW's max would definitely be lower than stated at the time - and I haven't been a buyer since the poor quality Ombre was returned in March.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51932&p=770677&hili ... nd#p770677
My own current collection includes the following brands - values quoted are the max I would spend on the brand. A couple of my maximums have reduced, either because I think prices are too high for some models (CW) or poor experience (Seiko Marinemaster saga).

Alpina - £1000 - Solid, quite rare, awkward lugs
Casio (incl G-Shock) - £500 - Choice, reliability, broad appeal
Christopher Ward - £1250 (was £1500) - Frequent sales (good or a bad thing?), choice, support & qc not what it was
Citizen - £500 - mostly eco-drive, can be over complicated, reliable
Oris - £1500 - solid, poor strap options, different
Rolex - £12500 - no discounts (good or bad?), watch for life, sought after by many
Seiko - £1000 (was £2500) - poor dial alignments and qc, too many special/limited editions, higher end models just too expensive
Tag Heuer - £2000 - branding, Senna, discounts
Tudor - £4000 - heritage, quality, celebrity endorsements
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Just thought i'd post a link to a video that shows some of the bezel movement that was described as in tolerance by CW and so no replacement was offered, just the refund option. This is not my video but I hope that it provides a visual as to how it moves beyond what i'd personally consider 'play' and away from the crystal quite significantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOtDM_RN_ow
Search 'Excess bezel movement' if the link doesn't work!

Anyway, on a positive note since my original posting of the question I have found the forum to be a welcoming, helpful and tolerant of discussion. Thanks everyone!!
meinberg
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by meinberg »

I am very surprised that CW think that amount of movement is acceptable, it clearly is not correctly fitted. Hopefully the 3 amigos can pull up the collective socks of the staff, I have no doubt there will be employees who have spent years working to build up a respected online business looking for the door if this level of poor QC and CS carry on.

I'm sure the August GTG will prove interesting.
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by what-time-is-it »

Here's the YouTube video.

Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

The bezel movement on that watch in the youtube video is shocking really, it cannot possibly be within tolerance. I just tried to apply a similar movement to my Tudor and just ended up moving the whole watch with zero play in the bezel. A different price point I know but nevertheless. None of my mk1 or mk2 Tridents have/had anything like that issue.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Thegreyman wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:20 pm The bezel movement on that watch in the youtube video is shocking really, it cannot possibly be within tolerance. I just tried to apply a similar movement to my Tudor and just ended up moving the whole watch with zero play in the bezel. A different price point I know but nevertheless. None of my mk1 or mk2 Tridents have/had anything like that issue.
I agree no play at all on the Trident mk1 or mk2 however they employed a different design and construction to the mk3 bezel.

In the same way there is no rocking movement (or play) in a Submariner 14060M (or the 5 digit GMT2) the bezel construction on a 114060 is totally different and whilst no play, does as you and I know have a very, very small rocking action (about 0.1mm).

CW, or more specifically MF at one of the GTGs, bigged up the redesigned mk3 bezel construction and action as second only to the action on a current 6 digit Submariner. Seems they didn’t quite get it right, if the intention was to emulate the bezel action of the Submariner.

I don’t have a view one way or the other, as to whether the mk3 action would annoy me, but am interested to have a look at the mk3 at the London GTG in August.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

I'd be sending that straight back. It's not acceptable to me, new wonderful design or not, I wouldn't want it.
'Tis me
BillyNelson

Post by BillyNelson »

H0rati0 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:44 pm

Personally I would never part with more than £500 for a CW watch because I also have Omega, Rolex and Tag Heuer watches that have given me a metric on quality that I know CW will never match.

I have to disagree. CW can make watches right up there with the biggest names and way beyond Tag. The C8PR for example is a masterpiece (and possibly other SH21 models, though I cannot speak for them). Granted it costs a lot more than £500 and rightly so, but the VFM is industry leading.
I agree with your disagreement. Really like my C1 5-Day Chronometer. Way more than £500, worth every penny.

That said, I would also prefer if the compromise between stiffness and play on my MK3 bezel was a bit more towards less play.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

BillyNelson wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:13 am
H0rati0 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:44 pm

I have to disagree. CW can make watches right up there with the biggest names and way beyond Tag. The C8PR for example is a masterpiece (and possibly other SH21 models, though I cannot speak for them). Granted it costs a lot more than £500 and rightly so, but the VFM is industry leading.
I agree with your disagreement. Really like my C1 5-Day Chronometer. Way more than £500, worth every penny.

That said, I would also prefer if the compromise between stiffness and play on my MK3 bezel was a bit more towards less play.
I cannot speak for the mk3 but I do track the pain, which is disappointing. CW is an interesting company in that it can do some wonderful stuff but fairly often also fails to achieve its ambitions. Personally, I think they push for too many new models (and Limited Editions) rather than concentrating on execution. These days I am wary, but follow my policy (not just for CW) of judicious buying once I see and hear consistency.

In the meantime, I hope they sort the mk3's teething problems and customer service so that the problems can get cleared up.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
dyhan

Post by dyhan »

Hello
your new 40mm C60 Trident Pro 600 watch coil has swing motion. Have you finally handled it? The new 40mm C60 Trident Pro 600 I received today finds the same problem as yours.
Do I need to contact the customer service team to change my watch。
Thank you
dyhan

Post by dyhan »

When the watch ring rotates, it is loose and the gap is too large.
Attachments
微信图片_20190812211023.jpg
微信图片_20190812211007.jpg
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Hi Dyhan,

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue too.
I contacted Customer Service and the watch was returned to them for inspection. They deemed there not to be an issue and returned the same watch to me - The process took around 10 days (UK).

The image you have posted shows a similar gap as to what I had and as the movement was only slight and seeing others that were worse, I decided just to keep it.

I recommend that you contact them and return it if you are not happy. They may deem it within tolerance, or they may exchange it. You could of course request a refund and buy another to see if you get a better one.

Good luck,
Darren
dyhan

Post by dyhan »

A1soknownas wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:23 pm Hi Dyhan,

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue too.
I contacted Customer Service and the watch was returned to them for inspection. They deemed there not to be an issue and returned the same watch to me - The process took around 10 days (UK).

The image you have posted shows a similar gap as to what I had and as the movement was only slight and seeing others that were worse, I decided just to keep it.

I recommend that you contact them and return it if you are not happy. They may deem it within tolerance, or they may exchange it. You could of course request a refund and buy another to see if you get a better one.

Good luck,
Darren
Hello

Thank you for your advice.

Because in China, even if the customer service team agrees to change the watch, when it enters the Chinese Customs, it will charge 20% tariff, so I am still considering whether to accept or return it.
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

smegwina wrote:Haven't got a MK3 Trident, but I do have a Rolex DeepSea and this has a "springy" bezel. If you push down on it, it moves down by a tiny amount and then pops up immediately pressure is released.

This springyness is by design, as rather than having a simple single spring (as other Rolex models and most other dive watches have) the bezel in the DeepSea is guided by three spring loaded ball bearings and one unidirectional keeper that has a spring.

Maybe CW have uprated and improved their bezel attachment to something similar as in the DeepSea?

There should be no rotational play in it however!

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Ohh very interesting.

Mine actually has the "springy" thing just like OP.... Didn't even notice until I really looked for it. At 12 and 6, if you press down you'll feel the bezel "rock" a tiny bit. FWIW, zero perceptible backplate either. My Seiko turtle has a bit of backplate and the bezel has a noticeable gap underneath it on one side Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk