Can you remove the bezel on the tridents Mk3?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Twan-Sloot

Can you remove the bezel on the tridents Mk3?

Post by Twan-Sloot »

Hi guys,

After wearing my new elite for a week I can only say I love the watch! But ran into a problem the other day and was wondering if I can fix it myself with more ease than I had to do now.

So took the watch out for a swim across the local lake here and when I returned back home and took a shower I noticed sand had gotten under the rotating bezel resulting in very bad feedback, after good rinse and 15 rotations it was back to normal. I would rather not have to deal with that each time I visit the beach. So can I pop off the bezel with a credit card to clean it, or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks!

Twan
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Re: Can you remove the bezel on the tridents Mk3?

Post by welshlad »

Hi Twan, the quick answer is no, you are not meant to remove the bezel yourself. You risk invalidating your warranty by doing so. The best thing to do is rinse it when grit or sand gets in. Also, using dental floss to clean under the bezel is another trick that people use.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Twan-Sloot

Post by Twan-Sloot »

Okay clear answer, will have to keep rinsing then haha.

Thanks
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

The warranty is on the movement only and removing the bezel won't void that. The warranty does not cover the case, bezel, crystal, bracelet and straps.

Rotating bezels can be removed with a case or butter knife but but there is a risk of making permanent marks on the case. Titanium Grade 2 is not as hard as stainless steel so even more risk of doing damage. Using a credit card should be safe to try as long as you're careful.

Removing the bezel on the C60 Mk2 doesn't appear to be very difficult. But not sure if doing this frequently will be good for the watch. viewtopic.php?t=48894

Nylon pry bars are an option. It's good to use a tool that is of a softer material than the metal you're working with.
https://omegaforums.net/threads/a-bette ... ool.46586/

There are special tools for removing rotating bezels but they are probably expensive. https://omegaforums.net/threads/please- ... -off.4845/
Twan-Sloot

Post by Twan-Sloot »

thanks, after some reading have decided on keeping it on anyway, probably will be harsh to align it properly afterwards, and am afraid of marking the softer titanium
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I appreciate that sitting on a sandy beach for hours making sandcastles, may end up with some sand under the bezel. Albeit that has never happened to me with any dive watch I have worn for making sandcastles. :)

However sand under the bezel, from just swimming in a lake, indicates that perhaps the bezel is a bit sloppy. After all the watch was designed for harsh environments. :problem:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Was it definitely sand that got under the bezel?

Or could it have been salt residue left over from the swimming? My old SKX used to have a slightly gritty feel after wearing it in the sea, but a good rinse under clean water always sorted it.

Obviously my comment is null and void if it was freshwater.
Ryan
Twan-Sloot

Post by Twan-Sloot »

Hi guys,

Yes definitely sand since it’s a fresh water lake, so no salt in there. But in the Netherlands we have clay grounds, and as some of you probably know clay consists of the smallest sand particles out there, and the water is full of it, you can see the sand floating in the water even at the middle of the lake. I guess it won’t be a problem on a normal beach with bigger sand particles.

Will report again in few weeks from the beach in vietnam :D