Abysmal Service from Christopher Ward

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Abysmal Service from Christopher Ward

Post by H0rati0 »

Firstly, that must have been one helluva bang.

However that does not excuse the watch being away for six months, which is abysmal if that's all there is to it.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Silver lining - If I had banged my watch on a door frame or anything else hard enough that it had to be returned to the makers I'd be quite relieved that it was going to be fixed for £90 whichever brand it was. I certainly wouldn't expect it to be fixed free as a goodwill gesture if the fault was due to me.

Dark cloud - That it's been away for 6months is the bad side of the tale.

The Trustpilot entry wasn't exactly long so I don't understand why the OP didn't give the same details on here in the first post.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:49 am Silver lining - If I had banged my watch on a door frame or anything else hard enough that it had to be returned to the makers I'd be quite relieved that it was going to be fixed for £90 whichever brand it was. I certainly wouldn't expect it to be fixed free as a goodwill gesture if the fault was due to me.
Too true - the pricing is good and I should have commented rather than taking it for granted. Now to sort the turnaround time.....
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
G1DRP

Post by G1DRP »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:49 am Silver lining - If I had banged my watch on a door frame or anything else hard enough that it had to be returned to the makers I'd be quite relieved that it was going to be fixed for £90 whichever brand it was. I certainly wouldn't expect it to be fixed free as a goodwill gesture if the fault was due to me.

The Trustpilot entry wasn't exactly long so I don't understand why the OP didn't give the same details on here in the first post.
The watch is meant to be a shock resistant sports watch. The fact that the movement survived and a securing screw didn’t, suggests poor design / engineering.
Cheers,

Ian
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Review left on Trustpilot by the OP.
Absolutely ABYSMAL!

Okay I banged my £1,700 watch on a door frame, which is totally my fault. The movement survived but one of the screws that secures the movement to the case broke. This was in December 2018 and they STILL have my watch!

Now, the ETA 7750 is shock resistant, so why don't they make sure that the ancillary parts are too? Anyway, I've agreed to pay £30 to get it fixed, but I was sent an invoice for £90!!! Should have been repaired as a gesture of good will, in my opinion as I was totally honest with them from the start.

They also didn't ship the watch when they said they would, after purchasing it. I was told I'd get a £10 refund, on the cost of the shipping, but I never did.

Once you've bought a watch from them and they have your money, they couldn't give a s**t!
Herein lies the problem with some reviews....IMO

While it is admirable that the OP stated the damage was his fault when was the watch actually sent in? Was it December or was that when the unfortunate event occurred?

The movement is indeed built with shock resistance, not shock proof. The movement is attached to the case the same way as virtually every other watch....with screws. How would you propose the mounting be made shock resistant industry wide? I am surprised that if the knock was enough to shear a mounting screw that you were not charged for a complete overhaul. Either way, I am not seeing the point of this statement even being in the review..just my opinion.

Just because you were honest you think you should get free service for self inflicted damage? Seriously! I wish I could get my glasses repaired for free when I accidentally drop and damage them or my garage door repaired for free when my wife accidentally backs into it. That would be goodwill for sure!

Of course my questions on the above parts of your review do not supersede the delays and communications failures and I am sorry for that, but this is why I read between the lines of negative reviews on any product. You only get one side of the story and incomplete information.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

The only issue here is the time that potentially CW have had your watch, albeit we don’t know how for certain long that is.

The damage is your own fault and repair cost entirely reasonable it seems to me.

Also best post the full story in the first place if you want feedback from the forum.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
G1DRP

Post by G1DRP »

I was initially quoted £30, which is fine but I got an invoice for £90 with no explanation. I KNOW how watches are assembled. Given the beefy nature of this watch, everything else should be beefed up where possible.

At the end of the day, I’ve lost faith in my watch and CW’s after sales support.
Cheers,

Ian
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Nothing to do with your issues but, I am curious what CW 7750 chrono you paid £1700 for? As far as I know, The C60 Trident Pro Chronograph Pro 600 is the highest priced 7750 model that CW has had to date at £1595 with a bracelet.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

G1DRP wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:24 pm

The watch is meant to be a shock resistant sports watch. The fact that the movement survived and a securing screw didn’t, suggests poor design / engineering.
Or alternatively it suggests good design and engineering that the cheaper element of the watch, i.e. the screw, took the force of the impact instead of the more expensive movement being broken.

Just like the crumple zones in cars that take the force of impacts rather than the chassis, engine or drivers.

IMO your discussion with CW should be about the £30 quoted vs £90 invoiced (even though I'd be happy with £90 for such work) and the length of time they've had your watch.
G1DRP

Post by G1DRP »

Kip wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:52 pm Nothing to do with your issues but, I am curious what CW 7750 chrono you paid £1700 for? As far as I know, The C60 Trident Pro Chronograph Pro 600 is the highest priced 7750 model that CW has had to date at £1595 with a bracelet.
Sounds about right. My mistake.
Cheers,

Ian
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

Abysmal clumsiness – be more careful next time [-X
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

The timeframe, if accurate, is abysmal.

Cost wise, for perspective, a battery change performed by Seiko for my Grand Seiko cost just under $90 plus shipping and 6 weeks. You got away lightly in my opinion.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
G1DRP

Post by G1DRP »

Seven months and they still have my watch!
Cheers,

Ian
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

G1DRP wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:47 am Seven months and they still have my watch!
and what's the detail of that? Who have you contacted by email or phone, where in CW is your watch, why the extended repair period, has it been sent off to Switzerland etc etc.?????
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

Mikkei4 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:44 am
G1DRP wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:47 am Seven months and they still have my watch!
and what's the detail of that? Who have you contacted by email or phone, where in CW is your watch, why the extended repair period, has it been sent off to Switzerland etc etc.?????
I think you meant to write, 'who has contacted you by phone or email about your watch, have you been kept informed of where your watch actually is? Did they give a reason for the extended repair period or whether it had been sent to Switzerland?'

Irrespective of any of this, it's now 7 months and counting. And he's not the only one, as evidenced by other tales of woe here. And no, being busy with the summer sale, the last sale, or the latest release is no excuse.
'Tis me