Panerai Feedback requested !

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Panerai Feedback requested !

Post by Viognier »

Hoping the current and past Panerai owners can share their perspectives and feedback on the Panerai watches they own (owned) and what they enjoyed and what frustrated them about their PAM's.

I am actively looking at two Panerai models (both now discontinued models). I believe I've decided that I would like one with the older "non-in-house movement" as parts and servicing for the in-house is tightly (and expensively) controlled by Richmont Group.

Please be candid as this is a LOT of money for a watch and I have a trust here with our forum and their experiences.

V.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: Panerai Feedback requested !

Post by StrapMeister »

So I have a PAM512 (hand wound)...and absolutely love it :D
ImagePAM512_005 by StrapMeister, on Flickr
Great quality and finish.
It sits comfortably on the wrist.
Slips under a cuff beautifully (thinner case being hand wound).
Is very legible.

No frustrations and nothing bad to say about them.

Beware...once you try one on you'll be sold :thumbup:
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

AA25D2C6-47D1-4911-B2E1-560F77A4A8E5.jpeg
This is my PAM510 and as with Nigel’s, it’s handwound (with the Panerai 8 day in house movement). Mine of course is the Luminor with the distinctive crown guard rather than a Radiomir.

I initially didn’t really like the whole Panerai look. One day I was passing a local AD and tried on a preowned Luminor automatic and was amazed how much I liked it and from that point I really wanted one. I did my research and tried a few on. The autos are quite tall watches which makes them decently hefty especially when most models come in either 44 or 47mm diameter (although there are a few 40,42mm ones too). So the handwound is much slimmer and means that even the 44mm wears well on a fairly slim wrist such as mine (imho anyway) and if you have a decent sized wrist then you would be able to carry off the 47mm no problem. So yes they are large watches but then I think that’s the point of the Panerai that they have a presence and make a bit of a statement, not for everyone but I get it.

I bought new at an AD where small discounts are possible or you can buy grey market and get 20-25% discount max off RRP.

There is quite a bewildering array of model numbers over the years. Lately they have introduced newer models such as the Luminor Due which some Paneristi do not approve of as they have only 30m WR so not a real tool watch although slimmer as a result. My Luminor has 300m WR despite a display back.

The watches are amazing strap magnets and there are many many options to buy straps for them. I have a few new straps on the way and need to post some photos when I get a chance.

Not sure what else you would like to know, but just ask.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Just to add...Mine's a Radiomir 1940 42mm (PAM00512)
I've just changed the strap and taken a few pics:
ImageDSC_0001 by StrapMeister, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0002 by StrapMeister, on Flickr
The lume is great:
ImageDSC_0003 by StrapMeister, on Flickr
...and here it is on my (7.5"/19cm) wrist:
ImageDSC_0004 by StrapMeister, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0005 by StrapMeister, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0006 by StrapMeister, on Flickr

HTH
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Had a 47mm sub, and loved it until it went wrong. The customer service made CW look like the world's best and was ball shrinkingly expensive.

Yet, I regret getting rid of it and will more than likely get another!!

The whole "Paneristi" is tremendous, although you will spend a bloody fortune on straps!

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Wis »

Like Strapmeister I have the PAM512. It is 42mm, 11,8mm thick (from memory), with a very subtle and sensual case. Sandwich dial, which can look a either deep brown or almost jet black. The movement is quite thin and based on a Piaget ebauche. I like that, why not go to those who are experts in thin movements. Unlike most Panerais it is quite subtle, and I really like it. I have tried on both 44mm and 47mm Panerais, and they are quite different from the 42mm. Big and thick.

If you are really sure you like the way Panerai looks and, most importantly, how it sits on your wrist, I don’t think you’ll regret getting one. I know I don’t.
Bjørn
MarkGraz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 15

Post by MarkGraz »

My PAM 351, Titanium case, good hands, tobacco dial, 44mm, in house movement.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

CWL:C30,C5FLE,C60(2),C60GMT(2),C8(2),C9JH,C11Tit Ext,C11MSL,C9SS,C95D,C9GMT,C9FLE Proto, C60 Chrono
Ebel Chrnon,Stein NavB DLC,Hanhart Minos,Nomos Metro,NomosAhoi ATL,Panerai 351,Omega Spdmstr Mk2,Halios Tropic B,,JLC Master Comp Chrono, Tudor GMT.
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

Really appreciate the feedback StrapMeister, thegreyman, smegwina, Wis and MarkGraz! Thankyou for your candid feedback.

I'm typically quite decisive on watch purchases however on this one I'm struggling.

Must haves:
Sandwich Dial
Exhibition Back
Hand wind
Box and Papers (as I'll be purchasing pre-owned)

As to the PAM style I really like both the Radiomir and Luminor so I'm very torn. I do prefer a cleaner dial. I'm fortunate to have larger wrists and could easily wear a 42mm -45mm Panerai.

Second and more significant area I'm struggling on is the prices. The PAM 111 (Luminor) and PAM 210 (Radiomir) are my current shortlist and both have the old and reliable Unitas 6497 movements. Whilst the older movements (Panerai calls this a Cal. OP X) are base ETA 6497 tweaked with a swan neck regulator and some decoration, they are still powered by a common and not that expensive movement Unitas movement. The price of these older Panerai is very similar to the newer 3 day Panerai In-house movements. Upside: Service Unitas movement is less expensive and can be completed outside of the Richemont Group...…the In house Panerai can only be service by Richemont and crazy $1,100 CDN !!)

IMO the decoration is also more attractive on the Unitas Movements.

So I continue to churn away on what's on my Panerai shortlist and when a reasonably priced pre-owned one might pop up for sale. Sigh.

PAM 111
E75D8B81-AD41-433D-99F7-D83F73CE85EC.png
PAM 210
3268C186-E8C5-429A-AF81-7009AB4EE472.png
D153D4E2-104D-4CC4-B9A4-ADC309A911D5.png
PAM 512 (in house movement)
FC26DB97-A51C-4233-BF81-8428A179F7A9.png
All pictures above screen shots from the internet
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Viognier wrote:Really appreciate the feedback StrapMeister, thegreyman, smegwina, Wis and MarkGraz! Thankyou for your candid feedback.

I'm typically quite decisive on watch purchases however on this one I'm struggling.

Must haves:
Sandwich Dial
Exhibition Back
Hand wind
Box and Papers (as I'll be purchasing pre-owned)

As to the PAM style I really like both the Radiomir and Luminor so I'm very torn. I do prefer a cleaner dial. I'm fortunate to have larger wrists and could easily wear a 42mm -45mm Panerai.

Second and more significant area I'm struggling on is the prices. The PAM 111 (Luminor) and PAM 210 (Radiomir) are my current shortlist and both have the old and reliable Unitas 6497 movements. Whilst the older movements (Panerai calls this a Cal. OP X) are base ETA 6497 tweaked with a swan neck regulator and some decoration, they are still powered by a common and not that expensive movement Unitas movement. The price of these older Panerai is very similar to the newer 3 day Panerai In-house movements. Upside: Service Unitas movement is less expensive and can be completed outside of the Richemont Group...…the In house Panerai can only be service by Richemont and crazy $1,100 CDN !!)

IMO the decoration is also more attractive on the Unitas Movements.

So I continue to churn away on what's on my Panerai shortlist and when a reasonably priced pre-owned one might pop up for sale. Sigh.

PAM 111
E75D8B81-AD41-433D-99F7-D83F73CE85EC.png
PAM 210
3268C186-E8C5-429A-AF81-7009AB4EE472.png
D153D4E2-104D-4CC4-B9A4-ADC309A911D5.png
PAM 512 (in house movement)
FC26DB97-A51C-4233-BF81-8428A179F7A9.png
All pictures above screen shots from the internet
One thing to take into account is the way that they wear.

A 44mm Luminor Sub wears rather small because of the large bezel (hence me getting the 47mm). Therefore if you do look at the sub, then look larger.

The standard Luminor wears smaller than the equivalent Radiomir, due to the case design, the thick lugs and the crown guard.

There are different case designs, (1950 etc) and these all wear significantly differently, with some options having sandwich dials, some without.

Panerais have to be tried on to find the best for you so if I hope you won't think me presumptuous if I say.... Try as.many as you can.

Whatever you end up with, I am sure you will love it, so enjoy the hunt.

(One last thing, steer clear of the Ceramic cases. They will literally shrink your testicles to the size of raisins with the cost of case replacement should it crack)

Good luck.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

Thankyou smegwina . I will ensure I spend some time at an AD and try on the different Panerai case style and sizes
SIB
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by SIB »

2 of the best watches I've ever owned, the 233 and 243......unfortunately I had to sell the 243 to buy the 233 or I'd have had both! :lol:

The 233 looks a bit bigger on but the 243 was a chunk heavy beast and a lovely watch to wear. It had a Unitas movement I had serviced by an independent watchmaker which didn't cost much and was accurate to about +1s no matter how it was stored.
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

I’ve always considered Panerai a fashion brand and haven’t owned one. I do understand the appeal and appreciate why people love them.

If you have plenty of dough, I say do it if they truly excite you. Personally, I’d look at more watch for less dough if you’re under $10K.

I have a lot of watches that few like, so no offense intended. All watches are great if you ask me.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

No harm meant but I just couldn't resist...
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=52354
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

Thank you SIB (especially about the servicing) and appreciate the comment from robotaz.

Albionphoto's link just allowed me to give a headshake.....that looks mighty shifty and not my scene. :shock:

Still Panerai researching !
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

Shortlist determined: PAM 111 or PAM 512

Any additional comments welcomed from past or present owners !