Does CW sell returned watches?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
souperphly

Post by souperphly »

Hi all,

I recently visited the CW office to try on a few watches. I’m trying to decide between the C60 Trident Pro 600 and the C65 Trident Automatic (I still haven’t decided). On the whole it was a very pleasant visit and the guy who saw me, Declan Strange, was very helpful and informative. He offered me a £100 discount on either of the watches and told me to contact him whenever I was ready to buy, and the discount would stand. As you can imagine I was really grateful for this gesture and it confirmed to me that I was dealing with a great company. But now I’ve been reading various posts on this forum about people who’ve had bad experiences / received fautly watches etc. And now I’m a bit paranoid. Does anyone think there’s a chance he’s offering me such a nice discount because he wants to sell me a watch that a previous customer has returned due to a fault? Am I being overly cynical? Has anyone else been offered this kind of discount when they visited the showroom?

Thanks everyone – any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: Does CW sell returned watches?

Post by Thermexman »

There’s currently a £100 discount voucher available to everyone. I believe visiting the showroom garners a 10% discount usually, anyway? Although I might have imagined that?

I wouldn’t imagine that they’re going to con anyone by selling faulty returns. That’s what the Nearly New clearances are for!
Steve.
Hammy85

Post by Hammy85 »

Judging by the number of faults highlighted lately, quite possibly. There must be many watches returned so no doubt many will be then resold like any other mediocre mass sales venture.

Be interesting to know their returns' rate. Judging by posts of late, my guess is it's likely to be very high.
Bounce
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Bounce »

Welcome to the forum.
I would be very surprised if they tried to sell you a returned faulty watch as new, I think you may be feeling a little bit paranoid, maybe because of a few recent issues people have had. :-)
Panerai Luminor GMT.
Omega Speedmaster Professional.
Tudor Pepsi GMT.
Tudor Harrods BB
Bremont ALT1 World Timer
C60 Trident MK3 GMT.
C60 Trident MK3 Tide.
McDaWisel
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by McDaWisel »

I can see how the forums would make you feel paranoid in the last few weeks.

I bought my CW watch in the showroom and was also offered a 100 GBP off. That was about 8% discount. Most watch dealers will do 10% at the very least on all brands, and a lot more on most brands. There are only very few exceptions to this (Rolex divers, and some Patek Philippe and AP models, but they have huge waiting lists anyway). Just as an example, I got 30% of RRP on a Breitling I bought recently.

The discount offered in the showroom is absolutely nothing to worry about.

I am sure they re-sell watches that come back under the 60 day returns policy - but as said previously I am sure they will sell those in their regular “nearly new” sales. I am also sure they do the same with watches that get replaced after a warranty claim in the first two months, after they are repaired and made perfect.

Also - as far as I have learned over the last few months Declan has been the showroom manager for many years and has a great reputation with all the fan boys ;-). Many CW customers are repeat buyers and there is even a bunch of collectors. I am sure he knows that and as any good salesperson, will do anything he can to protect his reputation.
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

Declan is great. Discount is normal. I got a 10% discount when visiting.

However, my first CW purchase wasn't that smooth.
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Hammy85 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:28 pm Judging by the number of faults highlighted lately, quite possibly. There must be many watches returned so no doubt many will be then resold like any other mediocre mass sales venture.

Be interesting to know their returns' rate. Judging by posts of late, my guess is it's likely to be very high.
A judgement based on observing a fairly small number of people making a fairly large amount of noise over a relatively short time.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

Hammy85 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:28 pm Judging by the number of faults highlighted lately, quite possibly. There must be many watches returned so no doubt many will be then resold like any other mediocre mass sales venture.
Utter nonsense and total speculation.
CW would never knowingly sell someone a faulty watch.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

souperphly wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:03 pm And now I’m a bit paranoid. Does anyone think there’s a chance he’s offering me such a nice discount because he wants to sell me a watch that a previous customer has returned due to a fault? Am I being overly cynical? Has anyone else been offered this kind of discount when they visited the showroom?
2 of your own words answer your own question - Paranoid and Cynical.

It is not unusual for a discount to be offered at the Showroom.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I do wonder why someone joins a brand centered forum and makes continual critical comments in every CW related post they comment in, but is very cheerful and complimentary with all other brands commented on. It would seem you are not or no longer a fan of the brand as your comments have been far from constructive.

Reminds me of a few other monikers from the past. :-k
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
McDaWisel
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by McDaWisel »

Kip wrote:

I do wonder why someone joins a brand centered forum and makes continual critical comments in every CW related post they comment in, but is very cheerful and complimentary with all other brands commented on. It would seem you are not or no longer a fan of the brand as your comments have been far from constructive.

Reminds me of a few other monikers from the past. :-k
I was wondering this too! I joined a very happy forum a few weeks before “this” all started. Honestly at some stage I was thinking this was a smear campaign :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

To answer the OP question.
My understanding is that watches returned to CW basically fall into 2 categories:
1. Those returned due to faults;
2. Those returned because the buyer decided they didn't like the watch after all and returned under the guarantee.

Those watches that fall into category 1 would be fixed either on-site or sent back to their office in Switzerland.
Once completed (fixed and refurbished), they would probably be re-sold as Nearly New.

Those watches that fall into category 2 would be inspected and then re-sold either as New or as Nearly New.

Note: On the CW web site, under the Clearance section, are Nearly New sub-sections (when live) for re-selling returned watches.

If in doubt, and convenient, go back to the showroom where you can look, handle and check the watch before purchase
(plus you'll get a discount of RRP).
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:24 pmA judgement based on observing a fairly small number of people making a fairly large amount of noise over a relatively short time.
And Mike France recognising in a reply to Kip that there has been issues.
'Tis me
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

souperphly wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:03 pm Hi all,

I recently visited the CW office to try on a few watches. I’m trying to decide between the C60 Trident Pro 600 and the C65 Trident Automatic (I still haven’t decided). On the whole it was a very pleasant visit and the guy who saw me, Declan Strange, was very helpful and informative. He offered me a £100 discount on either of the watches and told me to contact him whenever I was ready to buy, and the discount would stand. As you can imagine I was really grateful for this gesture and it confirmed to me that I was dealing with a great company. But now I’ve been reading various posts on this forum about people who’ve had bad experiences / received fautly watches etc. And now I’m a bit paranoid. Does anyone think there’s a chance he’s offering me such a nice discount because he wants to sell me a watch that a previous customer has returned due to a fault? Am I being overly cynical? Has anyone else been offered this kind of discount when they visited the showroom?

Thanks everyone – any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated.
There are plenty of other watch brands out there.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by srs1286 »

I was confirmed sent a press c60 elite 1000 when I ordered new. This was a little over a month ago.

More relating to your question, I’ve heard of many offered discounts during showroom visits with CW. If he’s talking 100 of RRP it’s effectively no different that the current discount codes available to the masses.