Is this acceptable on a £1250 watch?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
nordwulf

Re: Is this acceptable on a £1250 watch?

Post by nordwulf »

CW visited many watch shops in London for a day and checked out bezels on many luxury dive watches. They finally settled on the Rolex dive watch bezel action and sound being the best and they said they replicated that on the C60 Mk3.

I don't own a Rolex but that bezel action in the video seems pretty sloppy. It looks worse than my 3-year old £600 Mk2 Classic Logo.
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

Well, they didn't replicate Rolex entirely because my Submariner doesn't have ANY play. That doesn't look right IMHO. :thumbdown:

Then again, Rolex is 6x the price.
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Hammy85

Post by Hammy85 »

nordwulf wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:40 pm CW visited many watch shops in London for a day and checked out bezels on many luxury dive watches. They finally settled on the Rolex dive watch bezel action and sound being the best and they said they replicated that on the C60 Mk3.

I don't own a Rolex but that bezel action in the video seems pretty sloppy. It looks worse than my 3-year old £600 Mk2 Classic Logo.
Last time I went to London watch shops (not long ago) not a single Rolex dive watch could be found for love or money. Besides, Rolexes don't have wobbly dive bezels.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Hammy85 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:04 pm

Last time I went to London watch shops (not long ago) not a single Rolex dive watch could be found for love or money. Besides, Rolexes don't have wobbly dive bezels.
How would you know if you couldn't find any? :lol:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Hammy85

Post by Hammy85 »

Because Rolex diver owners don't have watches with wobbly bezels. Obviously
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

Kip wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:11 pm
Hammy85 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:04 pm

How would you know if you couldn't find any? :lol:

Plenty in the "grey" market here Kip. Pre-owned jewellers too at extortionate prices. £7,900 for a Sub-no date!!! :shock:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
lisnalee
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by lisnalee »

I just got mine back today from repair (movement related) the bezel is exactly same as the op's and other owners. A bit of slack for sure but im not concerned about it. Besides there is always the 60/36-48-60 warranty.

Mine enjoying its first outing.

C7 Rapide Day-Date COSC LE #10/100
C60 Trident Elite 1000 COSC LE #50/300
C1 Grand Malvern Small Second COSC
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Essex Paul wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:29 pm

Plenty in the "grey" market here Kip. Pre-owned jewellers too at extortionate prices. £7,900 for a Sub-no date!!! :shock:

Probably so , But Hammy85 said he couldn't find any so I was wondering how he knew "Rolexes don't have wobbly dive bezels."
Hammy85 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:16 pm Because Rolex diver owners don't have watches with wobbly bezels. Obviously
A most definitive answer. Why didn't I think of that. #-o
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nathanclarinet »

My GMT master doesn’t wobble like that.... just tried it..... see.... no play at all....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
McDaWisel
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by McDaWisel »

I really don’t get it. You got to be able to turn the thing... it’s not wobbling around by itself. If you try and move it around it will move around. It also doesn’t seem to move clockwise at all when in it’s resting position.

Some bezels require more some require less force. As long as it isn’t so loose it moves under gravity or when you move your wrist you’re fine.
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Hammy85 wrote:Because Rolex diver owners don't have watches with wobbly bezels. Obviously
Actually, my DeepSea has a wobbly/springy bezel by design, as rather than having a simple single spring (as other Rolex models and most other dive watches have) the bezel in the DeepSea is guided by three spring loaded ball bearings and one unidirectional keeper that has a spring.

It has no rotational play however, although the video is quite a difficult medium to analyse as it is impossible to see how much force is being applied, etc etc.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

nathanclarinet wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:08 pm My GMT master doesn’t wobble like that.... just tried it..... see.... no play at all....
No play or wobble on mine nor on my 5-digit SeaDweller either.

There's a bit of lateral and rotational play on my MK3 38mm, but significantly less than on the OP's Elite.

Truth be told, the feel and sound of the MK3 bezel is greatly improved with respect to the MK2.
blairgscott
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 5

Post by blairgscott »

I too have the Elite (#32) and was quite disappointed by the amount of play in the bezel. But I'm much more comfortable with it now that I know that it's not a mistake. That being said I would think twice about jumping on a more expensive LE when certain compromises come unadvertised.
SBD

Post by SBD »

Hmmm...I'm seeing 2 types of motion in your bezel -- backplay (clockwise rotation) and lateral play (the bezel shifting off-center, such that a gap appears between the inner bezel edge and the crystal edge).

The backplay is worse than I would like to see, but it's not the worst I've seen in the price class. My Sinn U1 has a great feeling bezel, but it has maybe more backplay than your Elite.

The lateral play looks far worse than any watch I currently own (about a dozen divers right now) including a bunch of cheaper microbrands. And it's not even close. That's what really alarmed me when I watched your video. Any chance you could do one where you don't rotate the bezel, but you just try to push it left-right and up-down?

I've been really close to pulling the trigger on this one, and I'm very curious.

I also went back and re-watched a bunch of the reviews on Youtube. I didn't see this issue in any of them. Very odd.
lisnalee
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by lisnalee »

@SBD I believe these are all gone now.

Yes there is play in the bezel but in normal usage you won't notice it.
C7 Rapide Day-Date COSC LE #10/100
C60 Trident Elite 1000 COSC LE #50/300
C1 Grand Malvern Small Second COSC