Is this acceptable on a £1250 watch?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Merlz

Is this acceptable on a £1250 watch?

Post by Merlz »

Hi all

My Trident Elite arrived today and upon opening it I wanted to check the bezel action before doing anything else as I’ve read a few negative comments here. To say I am disappointed is an understatement but I would appreciate your thoughts also. In my opinion too much play and lateral movement. Am I being too fussy or is this deemed acceptable on a £1250 watch.

Regards to all.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eRVMuVP_dYg
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: Is this acceptable on a £1250 watch?

Post by neilj568 »

Ring them up direct and complain rather than via the forum and then return under 60/60 and include feedback about why you are returning it
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by McDaWisel »

Don’t see an issue with that - as long as it can be lined up perfectly arrow to 12 and doesn’t move by itself.

In your video the bezel doesn’t seem loose - which is good. There is always a trade off in the “play” and how much force is needed to turn the bezel. The more force is needed the less play it seems to have. But it also becomes more difficult to adjust precisely and you start skipping clicks because you need too much force to turn the bezel...

Either way that looks same as mine. So it’s probably the way it’s designed to be and can’t be repaired or replaced...
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

It might be within tolerance, but if you're not happy then just return it for free.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
McDaWisel
Expert
Expert

Post by McDaWisel »

jtc wrote:It might be within tolerance, but if you're not happy then just return it for free.
Yeah that’s true. I don’t think there is anything wrong with it, but if you are not happy, that’s what the 60 day returns policy is for.
tomc1944
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by tomc1944 »

Looks perfectly fine to me. There has to be so play in it so that it can move.
C60 Trident GMT MKIII, C60 Trident MKII, C65 Vintage Diver, Oris Williams Chronograph, Oris Big Crown Bronze Brown Dial, Tudor 1926 white 41MM.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

jtc wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:53 am It might be within tolerance, but if you're not happy then just return it for free.
Ahhhh, that magic word again - tolerance :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now, being serious, looking at the video I can't honestly see anything wrong there.
McDaWisel
Expert
Expert

Post by McDaWisel »

FYI, here a video of my Elite as well as a Sinn that costs double the price. I think that's the way they are designed to operate. Sinn has as much if not even more play...

https://imgur.com/KdAkYVf
Merlz

Post by Merlz »

Thanks for your comments all.

It was more the lateral movement I was disappointed in really but wasn't expecting as much play in the bezel if I am honest. I wanted some comparisons as my Mk 2 Trident has no play whatsoever so I was expecting the same on the Elite.

Thanks again...still undecided.
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by what-time-is-it »

In my experience if you have doubts on the day of delivery they will linger and tarnish the purchase in the long term if you keep it.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

Merlz wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:42 pm Thanks for your comments all.

It was more the lateral movement I was disappointed in really but wasn't expecting as much play in the bezel if I am honest. I wanted some comparisons as my Mk 2 Trident has no play whatsoever so I was expecting the same on the Elite.

Thanks again...still undecided.
My experience with the MK3 is with a 38mm, so it may not be completely relevant. But I do not see any lateral play on mine. Rotational play it does have some. Don't remember it being quite so much as the one you show, though.

My MK2 has virtually no rotational play in comparison, but it is much stiffer to rotate. Not sure if the design is the same.

Bottom line, if it is not acceptable TO YOU, then that's the end of the story.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

I just checked my mk2 Trident and no play, but as Blackdog says, quite stiff. My Seiko Prospex workaday diver also has no play but is even stiffer. I don't think I'd be happy either with the amount of play you are seeing, but maybe there is some tradeoff against stiffness. Any chance of a showroom visit to compare other mk3s side by side?
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by srs1286 »

That is how mine was, wasn't too pleased with it. Curious what the serial number is on that one?
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

It looks ok to me, but if you're not happy then send it back for a replacement under the 60 day guarantee.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
McDaWisel
Expert
Expert

Post by McDaWisel »

Don’t think a replacement will do it as several people have confirmed theirs are the same. I think it’s the way they are designed to be.

You can return for a refund, but replacement would probably be the same...