CW C1 Moonglow

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: CW C1 Moonglow

Post by H0rati0 »

It certainly is something else, it will have to percolate a bit for me as I am not a fan of twin moon designs nor circumferential dates - I prefer the existing C1 Moonphase in that respect, but this one is pushing my tolerances.

I am delighted that CW are making so much out of the moonphase complication - one of my favourites.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Very very nice indeed.
It turned out well and will be a hit for CW I'm sure.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

I'm a bit underwhelmed tbh, the teaser shots of parts looked better than the whole. The red accents look out of place and the mix of dots and "stars" on the face could have been better executed.

Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:On the UK website;- C1 Moonglow

40.5mm case (sorry, Nick) available pre-order end July.

Guy
Ah, Bollox.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

I was REALLY hoping that this would be the watch that would bring me back into the CW fold. Sadly, it isn't.

The case says dress but the face says sport with the external date ring that looks, at first glance, like a tachymeter with the splashes of red adding to the sporty feel. The large moonphase complication seems at odds with those elements. Poor job with the photos, as usual, since every shot only shows the full moon phase.

For me, the problem with it is it's neither one thing or the other. I can't see me wearing it in either a casual setting (too dressy) nor a dress setting (too sporty). Worst of both worlds.

My opinion, many will disagree.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

I like it a lot, a very left field design which appeals to me. Albeit a novelty that would possibly only see limited wrist time.

But £1700... ouch!

I’m sure I saw a comment from Mike France suggesting that he thought/hoped the price would be in the region of £1300. Basically similar to the current C1 Moonphase which is still in the catalogue at £1395.

Does this really justify a £300 price increase and am I willing to risk dropping £1700 on a CW at present? [-(
Tim
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Order from the US website and it is $1,935. Order from the UK website without VAT and it is £1,412.50 = $1,790 so $145 difference. Still much more than I would ever spend on a Ward.

This is more like a collectors/novelty watch than something you would wear every day. Christopher's name on the dial doesn't help the clean and interesting design of the watch. Would look better if they would just engrave it on the bezel.
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

It's a conversation piece as it's different, but not my type of watch.

Regarding price, in my opinion CW are no longer the value & quality proposition that the majority know them for. In fact they are trying to nudge up a notch or two from a price perspective when the customer feedback and comments on here appear to show they aren't up to it.

Feels like the p&l spreadsheet is now in charge.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Just seen some more lume shots and IMO that is where this stands out.

The pointer date disk (behind the dial rather than as a fourth hand), with the exception of the actual date pointer in red, is fully lumed. As are the date numerals. Therefore in the dark you can read the date by looking for the gap in the illuminated date ring and reading off the corresponding lumed date numeral.

There are some very nice features here for those that are nighthawks. Plus you can’t see the logo :silent:

P.s. I reckon it’ll look good on a NATO or perlon, or one of Erica’s MN straps with the lumed stripe :thumbup:

P.p.s. If it’d had a sterile dial with all the branding moved to the back I’d have my pre-order in now. Even at £1700.
Tim
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

The photos from this Worn & Wound review are actually much better than the official pics.

https://wornandwound.com/exclusive-firs ... -moonglow/

I don't get why the central cutout disc is transparent. Having 2 moons makes no sense. A solid decorated metal plate would have been so much more elegant, hiding both the dark portion of the moon and the entire second moon. In all seriousness, am I missing something?

CWARD_C1_MOONGLOW_8.jpg
CWARD_C1_MOONGLOW_13.jpg
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
McDaWisel
Expert
Expert

Post by McDaWisel »

Is it maybe so we get to see both the earth side and the “dark side” of the moon at all times?
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Well, just shows how well (or not) this one seems to have been received - nearly 24 hours after being put up on the site and the brand forum, with thousands of members all over the world, has 13 comments since release! Not good. For what it's worth, I quite like it - to look at. I wouldn't buy it as it'd just be an expensive ornament for me as it'd just sit in the box for me to look at every night - not my type of watch to wear. I also think the price hike over the existing moonphase is too much. If I'm gonna spend that sort of cash on a non COSC watch it won't be on a CW. On clearance at 50% off in the future I could take a punt to have look at, but thats about it. Plus, the QC on basic 3 handers seems to leave a lot to be desired currently - there looks a lot to go wrong on this one!
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by biggus_richus »

TigerChris wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:40 am Well, just shows how well (or not) this one seems to have been received - nearly 24 hours after being put up on the site and the brand forum, with thousands of members all over the world, has 13 comments since release!
I really like it, but if that's all that the thousands have to say, this thread quickly becomes dull!
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

biggus_richus wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:53 am
TigerChris wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:40 am Well, just shows how well (or not) this one seems to have been received - nearly 24 hours after being put up on the site and the brand forum, with thousands of members all over the world, has 13 comments since release!
I really like it, but if that's all that the thousands have to say, this thread quickly becomes dull!
Exactly. There's been more interest and comments over a photoshopped mock up GMT than an actual new CW release of a watch thats different to any other in its segment on the market. Doesn't make sense somehow.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris