Don't Mention The War........

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Don't Mention The War........

Post by PaulJS »

I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it.

Okay, I have prepared myself to be shot down by the powers that be, but the latest massively over zealous example of moderation relating to the mention of a professional persons tools of the trade have me wondering if the world (and this forum) has completely lost the plot.

Knives (there, I said it and no one died) are a legitimate tool in many walks of life from glazing a window to laying a carpet or producing fine dining, and demonising them or erasing them from the vocabulary will not address the issue of thier use as a weapon.

Rather, right thinking people like us need to reclaim them for thier proper uses and not let them become the preserve of the criminal fraternity leaving us normal people to be eyed with suspicion when we purchase them over the counter. Be it a Stanley or a Shun.

As a kid (and I am not that old) we all had pen knives and aspired to the biggest, most ridiculously gadget laden Swiss Army offering that our pocket money would stretch to. I still have mine and, despite buying it perfectly legitimately as an 11 year old, it is now illegal because it locks and is in excess of 3".

Oh, and none of us stabbed each other.

The point I am making is that when normal, law abiding individuals are stifled from involment in something then it ceases to be a normal day to day object and becomes exactly what is trying to be avoided.

Three things that should put this in perspective :

1. We are talking about an object whose primary uses are thoroughly legitimate, nay essential to civilised life.

2. Many things can be fatal - more people died due to the use of motorcycles than knives last year, and yet we applaud / encourage thier use and ownership ( I am a biker BTW). Maybe these should be a verboten subject, purely for the greater good, you understand.

3. Stopping sensible discussion about such things on here just treats us like children and makes no difference whatsoever to the actual problem, of which we are not part.

And since we are on the subject, guns should also be allowed to be discussed if it relates to target shooting, clay shooting etc. Afterall, these are sports and I would suggest that more violence has been perpetrated in the name of football than any clay shoot! Yet football, opiate of the masses, is enthusiastically embraced on the forum.

And finally, there was a survey a while ago and one of the results fed back was that of a need for a lighter touch by the moderators...?

And finally finally, I realise that I am ****$ing in the wind with this post as it will inevitably be met with 'the rules are the rules and you should have read them when you joined blah blah blah ' but sometimes when the patient is dying you need to ignore the rules to inject some life and, in my opinion, this patient is on life support with a finger hovering over the off switch.

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Don't Mention The War........

Post by sproughton »

I must admit I let out a bit of a chuckle when I realised talk of kitchen knives is forbidden. Rules should be applied with a modicum of common sense.
Korkki
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Korkki »

Good write up Paul :thumbup: :thumbup:
NO PARKING
This space is reserved
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Maybe we should only use forks, like our friends from the other side of the pond. :lol:
Remember if you show a pic on the what are you having for dinner thread, to not include any cutlery just to be safe. :silent:

We are all grown ups and the use of common sense in regulating the forum on occasions feels similar to how the FIA regulate F1 races.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

I try to be as supportive as I can but to be honest there are times when I understand why so many members have either gone away or post less often.

Rule 1.4 clearly states that there should be no posts relating weapons. Quite rightly too.

A Chef's knife is not manufactured as a weapon anymore than a hammer, chisel or heavy ladies handbag is.

Common sense needs to prevail before nobody is left here.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Knives are like firearms: those with criminal use in mind pay no heed at all to the laws of the land and pay no mind to the hand-wringing and theorising the law-abiding.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by nathanclarinet »

knives don’t kill people, rappers do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ddav
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ddav »

I think that's rabbits :lol:
C600IPB 101, C7O cosc 009/300, C8 IPK 004 ,C11 Makaira Pro 006.
W11 Amelia , Emily Double Tour (The Wife)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Sometimes discussion on sharpened tool implements is enough to make some folk Furi(ous).

However they are just a KitchenAid.

I think it may be a Global problem.

Certainly wouldn’t have been a problem in Victorinox times.

We should however Shun discussion of items in a context that is by common sense and rational application a breach of rule 1.4.

I am on cooking duties this evening. I shall use best endeavours to gut the fresh mackerel with a fork and spoon.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
ddav
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ddav »

Im glad you didn't start to discuss Dicks
C600IPB 101, C7O cosc 009/300, C8 IPK 004 ,C11 Makaira Pro 006.
W11 Amelia , Emily Double Tour (The Wife)
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

Well, that’s the end of this thread. Descended into joke time.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

TheBeatles wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:36 pm Well, that’s the end of this thread. Descended into joke time.
It's such a ludicrous concept that staying away from jokes would be extremely difficult.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

sproughton wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:29 pm
TheBeatles wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:36 pm Well, that’s the end of this thread. Descended into joke time.
It's such a ludicrous concept that staying away from jokes would be extremely difficult.
Don’t understand your post, doesn’t grammatically make sense!
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

I'm confused!! Can someone tell me what I've missed here please?
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Knives are very dangerous things and should only be used by highly trained professionals. A government-issued license should be required. And we shouldn't be allowed to talk about them.

I also propose to completely ban all pictures and mentions of tridents on this forum. This includes watch pictures showing this dangerous weapon as a seconds hand or case back.
A trident is a three-pronged spear. It is used for spear fishing and historically as a polearm. The trident is the weapon of Poseidon, or Neptune, the God of the Sea in classical mythology.

The trident, known as dangpa, is used as a weapon in the 17th- to 18th-century systems of Korean martial arts.