Trident gaining 10 to 12 seconds....

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Tomo1971

Trident gaining 10 to 12 seconds....

Post by Tomo1971 »

For my first foray into 'proper' watches, I chose to purchase a C60 Trident Pro 600 in September last year. The watch is worn maybe 12 days out the month and on some months not at all - alternate with a smart watch, mood depending.

I have noticed that the watch will gain about 10 to 12 seconds overnight while been left unworn - is this such an acceptable variation - I have no issue resetting the time every few days so it doesn't wander into been minutes out but concerned that this will wear the mechanism if I am having to do it more often than intended.

Is this variation acceptable or possibly be due to an issue?
Laird
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 66

Re: Trident gaining 10 to 12 seconds....

Post by Laird »

Sellita Movement quoted in the C60 h/book with 'accuracy' tolerances of +/- 20 secs ...
|C70s|C7 BB, IRR, BRG, RC, Hornet, Valjoux|C3 GT|C4 Phoenix|C40 SpeedHawk|C5 BoB, Aviator|C8 Pilots*3, UTC & AD|C60 316L Y, O, B, GMT, DD Valjoux|C65 316LE,Classic LE, DT LE, 2VEV|C1 WT|C9 Pulse, JH2, AMGT, SSH21|C11 HRDC & Makaira|
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

It might be an idea to wear the watch for a longer period (several days to a couple of weeks) and observe how the timekeeping is then. Also, experiment with leaving the watch in different positions overnight (dial up, dial down, crown up, crown down) to see if there's any difference.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:50 am It might be an idea to wear the watch for a longer period (several days to a couple of weeks) and observe how the timekeeping is then. Also, experiment with leaving the watch in different positions overnight (dial up, dial down, crown up, crown down) to see if there's any difference.
They do prefer to be worn I find, but 10s a day is acceptable for a Trident, though even non COSC can do much better.

Also, all things being equal, a watch will run a tad faster as it winds down so depending on whether yours runs fast or slow you have to factor state of wind into the equation. On the wrist (ie fully wound for an auto) it should run "slowest".
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

The Sellita movement is specified as to be accurate to +/-20sec a day, as mentioned above. Also, as mentioned above, they usually do way better than this.

Mine runs to a net of about +3sec whenever I wear it regularly. By “regularly” I mean for 14-16hr a day and that is for either a work day or a weekend. Thankfully, my movement and activity levels are pretty much the same for both.

When I don’t wear it I tend to keep it on my winder. I have this set to constant winding, but I have it plugged into a timer plug so it winds for an hour or so, rests for 20mins, winds again, rests again etc and then rests from 22:00 to 06:00 each day. This pretty much replicates my daily wearing habits.

You will also notice that it’s orientation during its nighttime rest is important. Mine loses roughly 3sec if I leave it crown up overnight (this partially off-sets its +6sec gain a day while wearing during an average day and is how I get a net +3sec gain) but gains about 8sec overnight if I leave it dial down. Other orientations have similar variations.

What is important though is that it loses/gains consistently. I would, like others, suggest you wear it consistently for a week or more and note it’s gains/losses each day and each night. If it always gains when you wear it and always loses a set amount when you let it rest in a particular orientation overnight than that is fine; it can be regulated easily if it worries you. However, if it gains one day while you wear it and loses another, or if it loses one night when left say crown up and gains the next, than that is a sign of something more sinister and time to invoke the 60/60 warranty.

Hope this helps,

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Tomo1971

Post by Tomo1971 »

Thanks all, I have been monitoring it over longer periods and noted that it does seem to be better when placed crown up, rather than face up.

Think that my next watch will be a COSC one though for that better accuracy - although do like a couple of the CW range with the orange bezels, and although quartz, which would be OK, they are not ceramic bezels.
Craig64
Senior
Senior

Post by Craig64 »

Hi Tomo
The non COSC movements in the 4 CW Trident watches that I purchased during this last year, have proved to be well within the stated accuracy tolerances, and indeed in three out of four of my watches, within the COSC tolerances. That is probably down to pure good luck.

If you are thinking of COSC for your next automatic watch, I would suggest bearing in mind two key aspects:
1) The extra purchase price/premium to be paid for COSC... is it worth it?
2) The extra cost of servicing of the watch, with extra time and processing needed to test and certify the accuracy of the time keeping.

Having said that, of course a quartz movement will be the natural choice for accuracy alone, if moving away from the magic of mechanical movements.

Craig
Regards
Craig
nauf
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Post by nauf »

I can say it’s within tolerance (oppss!! Sounds familiar). But you need to observe the time keeping. If it’s going faster, like +2mins/day then you should think of demagnetised your watch. All CW watches are not equipped with the anti-magnetic feature hence putting them together with any smart devices for quite a long period of time, say a night, might magnetise your watch.
ScofieldReturns
Senior
Senior

Post by ScofieldReturns »

I feel like a lot of people didn't read the post and only read the topic title. He says it gains 10-12 seconds OVERNIGHT. Meaning it could very well gain over 20 seconds a day
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

ScofieldReturns wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:29 am I feel like a lot of people didn't read the post and only read the topic title. He says it gains 10-12 seconds OVERNIGHT. Meaning it could very well gain over 20 seconds a day
Actually, when the OP said "the watch will gain about 10 to 12 seconds overnight while been left unworn", I took that to mean that the watch will gain about 10 to 12 seconds overnight while been left unworn.

He has specifically said that his concerns are about overnight when it is not being worn, suggesting that he is less concerned about when the watch is in use so presumably has timed it over daylight hours when worn and all's good in that department.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
Tomo1971

Post by Tomo1971 »

Sorry, to clarify, I had noticed that the watch does mainly gain overnight, not so much if crown up but especially so when face up.

When worn, it is a mix of gaining and losing time but generally around 5 to 10 seconds - need to monitor it more closely, not been wearing it all day this last few days as been working from home.
Craig64
Senior
Senior

Post by Craig64 »

Hi Tomo
Out of interest did you get chance to monitor the time keeping more closely?
If so, have you ended up feeling happy with its accuracy?
Regards
Craig
Bellefield

Post by Bellefield »

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have to say that I'm super impressed with my C65 automatic. I've been monitoring it for about a week now using toolwatch atomic time synced screen, and its kept exactly the same time, not lost or gained a second over the week.

Confession, I started off using the dashboard which is great but the measurement function requires you to press a screen button, which is fine, except when you accidentally touch it and can't delete the measurement! :roll:

Another confession, I hear everyone saying that they take their watches off of a night. I don't, I sleep in mine, shower in it, swim in it, etc. It gets washed in the shower unless its got a leather strap on it of course, and that is the only time I take them off.

Not sure if that is helping the accuracy of this watch but so far (and I know it hasn't been long) but I'm blown away by how accurate this has been regulated.
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

Tomo1971 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:04 pm Thanks all, I have been monitoring it over longer periods and noted that it does seem to be better when placed crown up, rather than face up.

Think that my next watch will be a COSC one though for that better accuracy - although do like a couple of the CW range with the orange bezels, and although quartz, which would be OK, they are not ceramic bezels.
If the time keeping is an issue, simply have your watch checked and regulated. It's not particularly difficult or expensive.

I would also like to add that COSC is only relevant at the time of issuing the certificate, the movement can and will drift.

In itself, a COSC movement is no different to a non COSC movement, but has just had additional testing and regulation. It will also no longer be a COSC movement at point of service, unless it is retested in accordance with the certification requirements and revalidated, highly unlikely.
Bellefield

Post by Bellefield »

just checked my watch against the atomic clock and its gained 2 seconds over the last two days :( having said that, If anyone told me that my watch would be +-2 seconds a day I'd have been over the moon, especially at the price of the C65. :D