C60 Trident Mk3 Bezel Rocking movement?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

C60 Trident Mk3 Bezel Rocking movement?

Post by A1soknownas »

Hi,
I've received the new C60 Trident Pro 600 yesterday in 40mm and noticed that there was a slight rocking motion in the bezel. When applying very little downward pressure at one side i.e. 12 o'clock the bezel insert (or bezel itself - Can't tell which exactly) slightly clicks down and the opposite side (6 o'clock) moves up - and vice versa.

Is this a common characteristic of bezels in general and has anyone else experienced this? I don't have another diver to test this on as I've just sold my last Trident to buy this one!

I don't expect everything to be perfect and can live with this but if it absolutely shouldn't happen i'd rather address it now in case it gets worse in the future.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)
Darksol

Re: C60 Trident Mk3 Bezel Rocking movement?

Post by Darksol »

I have the Elite 1000 not the same model, but my bezel doesn't do that. Additionally, I haven't heard anyone with the same issue with the MK3's.

Might be a QC issue on yours.
Markornot
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by Markornot »

I saw someone had a similar issue on the FB page. I think he contacted cs with a video of the issue. If I recall, the told him it was within tolerances. BTW, I have seven divers including some CW mk ll's ...none of them have any play.
Mark
CW - C8 Flyer, C6 JHMk3, C7 Corsa Rosso LE, C3 Chronograph, C8 Reg | TAG Heuer F1 | Orient - Black Raven II, Bambino, Star Seeker GMT, Galant, Monarch | Seagull - Grn Military, Moon Phase | Tissot - Visodate | Steinhart - NavA Pilot MW, NavB Vintage
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

I've seen no play in the mk2 C60 600s I've owned. If it's new and you've not worn it, I think I'd rather not go though the hassle of trying to get it fixed or someone to suggest it's normal or within specification and just return it for a refund. Perhaps try to buy another before the voucher code runs out in a week or so.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Thanks all for your quick responses.
It is brand new received on Friday. I have taken all the stickers off, re-sized the bracelet and only worn it within the house to try it.

I have looked at it again closely and when viewing from the side at 12 o'clock between the bezel and the case I see very little gap but at the opposite side there is a slightly bigger gap and I can see multiple verticle lines about 1mm apart. This gap then transfers to the other side of the watch if minimal vertical pressure is applied.

I had optimistically assumed before that it is the way the bezel sits and that some springiness is to be tolerated but now this does look like the bezel isn't seated properly.

I'll contact them tomorrow but I assumed that they will just dismiss it unless I really try and escalate but we'll see.
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Haven't got a MK3 Trident, but I do have a Rolex DeepSea and this has a "springy" bezel. If you push down on it, it moves down by a tiny amount and then pops up immediately pressure is released.

This springyness is by design, as rather than having a simple single spring (as other Rolex models and most other dive watches have) the bezel in the DeepSea is guided by three spring loaded ball bearings and one unidirectional keeper that has a spring.

Maybe CW have uprated and improved their bezel attachment to something similar as in the DeepSea?

There should be no rotational play in it however!

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Thanks, I did read a little about other brands having a springing motion especially with ceramic bezels and people assuming that it was a flaw rather by design.

The problem with the watch I have is that it doesn't spring back and forth, and then maintain a uniform gap around the case but permanently creates a wider gap at the corresponding side and as I've noticed since my original post you can actually see vertical lines spaced 1mm around a ring between the case and bezel where the gap is wider - which then transfers to the other side of the watch if and pressure is applied.

So most probably some kind of defect. Hope the process of either returning under the 60/60 (despite removing the stickers) or receiving a new replacement goes smoothly...
Hammy85

Post by Hammy85 »

Could you provide a video clip perhaps?
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Does not sound right at all.

I have a C60 mk2 and two Seikos with rotating bezels - no play in any of them and certainly no possibility of rocking.

If it were me, back to base.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Thanks again for the responses and comments. It appears that this is definitely not the norm.

I used the Customer Service Form on the website to report the issue on Sunday evening and they responded by email today at 12:15 asking for me to return it to them using a pre-paid envelope for them to examine.

I didn't want to just return it under the 60/60 policy for a refund without stating any issue in case they then rejected the item saying I had damaged it. I am hoping that transparency and honesty is the best policy and that they reciprocate this by either fixing the issue quickly and returning it to me or by sending out a new one...
monkwearmouth
Senior
Senior

Post by monkwearmouth »

For what it’s worth, the bezel on my Rolex Sub has some play in it so it rocks slightly from side to side. This is part of the design. However your issue does go beyond that and sounds like a defect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Just an update...

After reporting the issue I received a response within 24hrs advising that I should return it to them and that a pre-paid package would be sent out which arrived a couple of days later. Upon returning the watch I received confirmation that they had received it. 2 days later I received an auto email advising 'return to customer' followed by a despatch confirmation and tracking ref. All done in a space of around 10 days so no complaints with that.

Although on the return form I selected the replacement option, I received the very same watch back with a QC sticker on and my order form stating Bezel alignment no fault found with no communication other than the automated messages.

The bezel still clicks up and down at the 12 and 6 position and doesn't appear uniformly set with a varying gap between bezel and case at the corresponding side. I have not had this type on movement on any other bezel before. The marker reset at 12 doesn't perfectly align either, but that may just be me being critical. I guess this would infer that such an issue is within their tolerance of what they deem a quality product to be. I now need to decide whether to just keep it as I generally like the watch and I might eventually get over the mild disappointment when I look at the thing. My previous Trident C60 300 quartz felt better made than this which I sold to help pay for this upgrade...

I guess my take away thought is that you get what you pay for and whilst the large majority will receive a perfect watch there will be others that simply don't and then face a situation where they have to sit through a return process until they get one that is, all the while starting to question themselves and if they are being too picky or the supplier possibly being disingenuous as to what level of quality is acceptable.

Whilst many other watch makers out there have similar specs to the Trident they come at a premium price. It is not a price worth paying if you can get a perfect watch from CW but if you don't, the fact that you can inspect and try it on at the time of purchase or return it if it doesn't appear right and have a sensible conversation and possibly compare it with another of the same model in the shop is priceless.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Not having seen one in the flesh or, indeed compared several, to see if yours is, in fact, normal, I couldn’t possibly comment on wether or not yours is acceptable. What I will suggest though, is that, if it’s niggling you now, it probably always will. I’d send it back. You could always order another, sometime in the future, in the hope you get a better one?
Steve.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Thermexman wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:50 pm Not having seen one in the flesh or, indeed compared several, to see if yours is, in fact, normal, I couldn’t possibly comment on wether or not yours is acceptable. What I will suggest though, is that, if it’s niggling you now, it probably always will. I’d send it back. You could always order another, sometime in the future, in the hope you get a better one?
Agree. If it niggles now It won't go away. Send it back, move on.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
M3tth4w

Post by M3tth4w »

A1soknownas wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:37 pm Whilst many other watch makers out there have similar specs to the Trident they come at a premium price. It is not a price worth paying if you can get a perfect watch from CW but if you don't, the fact that you can inspect and try it on at the time of purchase or return it if it doesn't appear right and have a sensible conversation and possibly compare it with another of the same model in the shop is priceless.
I think this is a pretty good point, which pretty much sums up my experience.
I own the old generation. I love the C60 Mk3 for its 40mm size, finish, looks and price.

Though I had bad luck/QC 2 times. What the QC defines within their tolerance is not within mine.

I can not keep sending watches back and forth with CW. It costs them money, it makes me feel bad, I have to worry about it and it costs time.

This is why I am considering paying the premium price now.