Bad experience with Christopher ward watch and it's customer services

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: Bad experience with Christopher ward watch and it's customer services

Post by TheBeatles »

Alex r wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:00 pm Just got a reply from Vallen at CW towers. A battery change and service on my C6 Quartz is £150 plus postage
This is more than i paid for the watch when new. Is this Excessive ?
The Email doesn’t give a break down of what the service involves on the plus side they havn't lost it yet :silent:
Just a thought, but maybe the quote is so high because they just want you to say don’t bother, send it back.

So they have 1 less watch to worry about
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Alex r wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:14 pm Glad I'm not the only one to think it's steep for a 3 handed quartz. A Chronograph or thermo compansated movement i could sort of get unless there is a lot more wrong with it than a new battery but then a new ETA movement can't cost that much can it.
CW have just quoted me £150 for servicing a C600 Trident Pro GMT....

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

nbg wrote:
Alex r wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:14 pm Glad I'm not the only one to think it's steep for a 3 handed quartz. A Chronograph or thermo compansated movement i could sort of get unless there is a lot more wrong with it than a new battery but then a new ETA movement can't cost that much can it.

Neil
That sounds in the right ball park, Neil.

I had a C40 Speedhawk, 7750 Chrono, serviced a few years back and recall it being in the region of £175.

Similarly I had a full service on a C6 Kingfisher (quartz) for around £60.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

Seiko charged me $80 for a battery change in my Grand Seiko 9F which I nearly fainted at but decided to do since it's a $2,200 watch. They did change the seals and pressure test it though so I guess it was worth it.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Just putting it out there, but I wonder if there's any incentivised approach to post-sales support like servicing etc? No advertised prices = a free market economy to ask whatever the service person wants...
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Alex r
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Alex r »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:25 pm
nbg wrote:

Neil

I had a C40 Speedhawk, 7750 Chrono, serviced a few years back and recall it being in the region of £175.

Guy

Could just be a standard email and they haven't relised it's a quartz which is probably more worrying
Alex r
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Alex r »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:25 pm
nbg wrote:

Neil

Guy

Could just be a standard email and they haven't relised it's a quartz which is probably more worrying
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Grand Seiko quartz service - 80 GBP
CW C6 Quartz service - 150 GBP
New Ronda 715 movement - 12 GBP
Hmmm.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

I think a proper GS 9F quartz service would be significantly more, but shouldn't have to worry about that for at least another 46 years .... theoretically :D
Ryan
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Lavaine wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:32 am Grand Seiko quartz service - 80 GBP
CW C6 Quartz service - 150 GBP
New Ronda 715 movement - 12 GBP
Hmmm.
I think the C6 service price quoted must be a mistake/error. My C60 Trident mk1 service within the past year was £99. iirc, CW charged about £15-20 for a battery change so not sure how all of a sudden it can be £150 given there isn't much else to do on a quartz other than battery, gasket, reseal and test......or is there some other witchcraft in a quartz movement that needs to be serviced :?
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Martin
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by Martin »

Some thoughts:

I do remember CW first offering a watch service. I think it was £99 for an automatic. They serviced my C5 Aviator. The job got done but seemed a little uncoordinated. Different people in the organisation had no idea if anyone else had raised a job number/ seen the watch/ any knowledge of.
The service was done, I got my watch back with an invoice sheet and all within a couple of weeks. Move on six years and CW has grown. Thousands upon thousands of watches sold. Demand for repair and routine servicing must have grown enormously. Has the infrastructure? Probably not enough. I recently bought an Omega. Reading this (and similar) threads led me to consider what happens when I decide to have it serviced. I presume I go to the AD. They have systems in place which track the watch, send it to a service centre. They service the watch. A separate department raises an invoice. A separate section handles payment. These operations occur daily throughout the world. In comparison CW are on a wholly different scale. Right now I imagine a relative few employees operating under stress and not really enjoying their work. I may be wrong of course. but this is how it appears. Obviously things need changing for the better: I hope they do for all concerned. It probably comes down to investment.
I have purchased CW watches for over ten years now. No problems at all. I remain delighted with them. My C5 Aviator ( on its new olive green Nato) is coming to France with me next week.
I hope all problems get resolved to everyone’s satisfaction. But it has not been CW’s greatest week.
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

Essex Paul wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:29 pm Slightly off topic but thought it was funny.
Even though I’ve bought a watch from them I’ve never received a Loupe magazine.
So weeks ago,(dunno 6?), when the summer one came out I clicked on the “request a copy” link on the website. Nothing. Phoned CS. Nothing.
Requested on website again 3 times!! Nothing.

Yesterday 2 arrived together.
Today 3 arrived!
They’re in a right state I think. :lol:
Got another one today! :lol:
Do they have a computer system?
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
FullFat
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 4

Post by FullFat »

My C60 MK1 is in for a service and I've been quoted £250 + return postage , battery change on another was £20. Have to admit to being surprised at the service cost because all the threads I'd searched mentioned £150!
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

FullFat wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:30 pm My C60 MK1 is in for a service and I've been quoted £250 + return postage , battery change on another was £20. Have to admit to being surprised at the service cost because all the threads I'd searched mentioned £150!
My C60 mk1 was serviced last summer for £99. I can't believe the price has gone up to £250, that seems high. Are there any specific repairs/parts it requires to take it to that cost?
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Thegreyman wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:41 pm
FullFat wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:30 pm My C60 MK1 is in for a service and I've been quoted £250 + return postage , battery change on another was £20. Have to admit to being surprised at the service cost because all the threads I'd searched mentioned £150!
My C60 mk1 was serviced last summer for £99. I can't believe the price has gone up to £250, that seems high. Are there any specific repairs/parts it requires to take it to that cost?
My C600 Tri-Tech Elite 500m dive watch with H.E. valve was £99 for a service, with an additional £10 for a new Ratchet Wheel plus £7.95 postage.
Therefore £116.95 for a service & repair. (It wouldn't wind).

This was may 2018! Why the big change and such varied prices being quoted?

A service requires a full strip down of the movement.

A repair should only require a little extra work and the cost of the new part?

It's like someone is just making numbers up?
Steve.