Logo convert and an observation.

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Logo convert and an observation.

Post by Macdaz »

I was looking back over my posts the other day and I made a few where I, like many, said I could never see myself buying a CW with the logo at 9. Roll on a year and the constant exposure had clearly eroded my objection as I started to entertain the possibility that I might want to try to like it. And I posted as such.

Then a mate of mine bought a C8 UTC World Timer and when I saw it in real life the logo thing was less of an issue, and momentum started to build. Then the C65 GMT Pepsi was launched and I loved it, except the logo position, or rather the space at 12. I posted again that I was going to CW Towers to see it in the metal.

So I did go, and although I wasn't 100% sure I took a punt and bought it. After having it on my wrist for less than 24 hours I realised I absolutely love it. I think when you look at 2D pictures you are immediately drawn to the bits you don't like. In my case predominantly the space at 12. But in reality the watch face is dynamic and it looks different every time you look at it (obviously) so it has become a complete non issue. I'm over it. Good for my collection. Bad for my wallet.

My observation: I wear about 15 watches regularly in rotation and nobody ever notices or passes comment. Since I've been wearing the C65 I've had five people (three today) notice my watch and remark that they like it. Each one has said it is unusual and they like the clean look and feel of the dial.

I know this is all personal preference. We like what we like and none of us are wrong. But I found the reaction and attention this new watch has got most interesting.
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
McDaWisel
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Re: Logo convert and an observation.

Post by McDaWisel »

Hear hear!
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Macdaz wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:27 pm
I know this is all personal preference. We like what we like and none of us are wrong.
Couldn't agree more, with this bit anyway. It also holds true for what we dislike.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I feel sorry for your wallet/bank account. The cliche is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but in many instances I find that beauty is in the hand. I never had the strong objections to the new logo that many have expressed here but I was certainly much more convinced once I saw the new logo, on a watch, on my wrist. In my case it was another C8 UTC. I'm not sure that there is a moral to this story but, if there is, it's keep an open mind and try on before you buy.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

I also feel the look is clean and contemporary in a market where logos and font get painfully old and dreary.

I think the first logos went the wrong direction. I think the new ones are going the right direction.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

I bought 3 new logo at 9 watches hoping I'd learn to love them. I didn't. Shrug. Moved on.

Kept my Trident Chrono with the new logo at 3 and bought a C8PR with newest logo at 12 and loved it but was too large, sadly.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Macdaz »

albionphoto wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:58 pm I'm not sure that there is a moral to this story but, if there is, it's keep an open mind and try on before you buy.
Agreed. Not sure there is a moral either. I'm never averse to changing my mind if I'm given a compelling reason to do so. But I'll be honest, there was a good while when I never thought I'd change my mind about this!
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

Thanks for sharing your real-world experience. I still have a bias, valid or not, against the logo at 9. However, I think I could get along fine with any of the new watches that have the logo at 9 and the 'device' at 12. I'm still not convinced about the logo at 9, even though I love my sterile dial Speedbird. I suspect that on the wrist it is indeed different.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Macdaz »

Lavaine wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:50 am I think I could get along fine with any of the new watches that have the logo at 9 and the 'device' at 12.
I think that's the difference. On the UTC it's the larger 12 numeral that fills the space and the device at 12, even in stealth mode, makes a difference. Completely blank would still be a bridge too far!
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

The 9 logo never bothered me when looking at it online. I liked the watch and decided to see it in the metal. Bothered me even less when I went to Fawlty Towers to buy it.
In real life, real size, I hardly noticed it.
Computer images make it more predominant I guess. :thumbup:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

Essex Paul wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:27 pm In real life, real size, I hardly noticed it.
I was the opposite. The didn't like it in images and hated it in real life. Couldn't see anything else BUT the unbalanced layout and gap at 12. Maybe it's just me.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

FloridaPhil wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:39 pm
Essex Paul wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:27 pm In real life, real size, I hardly noticed it.
I was the opposite. The didn't like it in images and hated it in real life. Couldn't see anything else BUT the unbalanced layout and gap at 12. Maybe it's just me.
It's not just you, same as me and some others I'm aware of.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Horses for courses. I was determined not to like it and posted some pretty negative things about it when it came out. I got the Mk III C3 and thought I didn't like it, but that was more to do with the chronograph function and legibility.

Then I tried the C65 diver. No problem. It just ceased to matter.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Clach77
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Clach77 »

I think that the ‘mistake’ was launching the new logo on existing watches. Then that’s all what people focused on, and clearly a vocal group didn’t like it. Put the new logo on a new watch and it doesn’t matter so much. As AVO says.

The first watch with the new logo which I bought with the new logo was a C60 bronze. I probably wouldn’t have bought a C60 with the new logo if it had been available with the previous one. But with the bronze it wasn’t an issue.

But I’d still prefer the MkI logo. 🤭
Trying not to buy any more watches...
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

Personally, I don’t do symmetry,balance or evenness.
If I like a dial that’s it. I don’t need a logo in any one place. I’m very easily pleased. :lol:

I think the latest placement at 9 or like mine at 3 is kinda modern. I like it.
We’re all different people. :thumbup:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue