TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: Kickstarter: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Post by TheBeatles »

Check out this one:-

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19 ... g/comments

Some very unhappy people out there, quite an interesting read. Definitely gives you reason to doubt Kickstarter as it all looked so good for the backers early on.

By the way! Not going to go for the project I mentioned in previous post.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Just wondered what the Hamtun backers thoughts were on Ross’ latest comment today? I’m gonna be honest, I think he’s made a mistake by not updating after the survey delay. The mistake I’m not bothered about, however I’ve always been a person that will hold my hands up and admit to the mistake. His comment has p***** me off to the point that I am fairly certain I am going to back out. I can’t back a person that isn’t man enough to admit something, take it on the chin and move on.
addi564
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 12

Post by addi564 »

Chris

Not seen the comments so will look now as I am also a backer

I have to date found Ross very open and honest so your post is a bit of a surprise

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

C60 Trident 38mm on rubber and GMT on bracelet
C6 Kingfisher black dial on rubber and white dial on bracelet
C5 FLE and C3 FLE
C65 Vintage on bracelet
Tag Heuer F1 Calibre 5
Breitling Superocean 42
TPS10
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Post by TPS10 »

TigerChris wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:33 pm Just wondered what the Hamtun backers thoughts were on Ross’ latest comment today? I’m gonna be honest, I think he’s made a mistake by not updating after the survey delay. The mistake I’m not bothered about, however I’ve always been a person that will hold my hands up and admit to the mistake. His comment has p***** me off to the point that I am fairly certain I am going to back out. I can’t back a person that isn’t man enough to admit something, take it on the chin and move on.
Wow, that’s some change from your previous comments about Ross.
I’ve added the Sellita to my one. If I decide to try and go for a second I will add it to that also. As for Ross, he’s been absolutely fantastic. Some of the requests/comments made have been enough to make a Nun swear, but Ross has remained calm, collected and professional throughout. He has impressed me a lot.I will definitely be keeping an eye on any of his future projects.
In many ways I feel sorry for Ross, he’s created a monster that he’s struggling to control on his own and the pressure is obviously getting to him. As you said originally, some of the comments and requests are simply ridiculous and am sure has tested his patience to the limit. I feel his recent communication is of someone feeling the strain of such a big project and he’s lost a bit of his composure in some of his responses.
However, I do feel he has been guilty of not fully explaining that the survey isn’t actually important at the moment. I think if he had made that clearer, then people’s expectations would have been set and they wouldn’t be desperately waiting for them.

I’m not bothered about the survey yet, as 1. I haven’t actually decided on what colours to go for and 2. the watch isn't due for another 4 months. I’ve paid for 2 watches and I’ll decide which 2 I want just before delivery is due.

I’ve also backed the Nanok, which is due for June delivery and the survey has only been sent out this week (and I still can’t decide on black or white for this one!)

The Kraken will be a cracking watch, at a cracking price and I’m confident it will be delivered on time. Even if it’s 2-3 months late, I’m not really bothered. Yes, Ross could do with investing money in additional resources and maybe a PR manager, but the additional costs will just be added to the cost of the watch. Ive said before every watch has a compromise somewhere in the package and this is no exception.

I think if you can go with your original thoughts and forgive Ross for one error of judgement, you’ll end up being happy with the watch, but I do appreciate that this has obviously triggered an emotional reaction for you and ultimately watch purchases are usually emotive, as there seems very little logic to watch buying!
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

I’m not bothered about the survey as I haven’t decided yet either. I’m just brassed off that, rather than just admit he got it wrong, he has put a long list of excuses without once just saying ‘I should have let you know, I’m sorry’. That’s all it took, simple. Since he got the funding he seems to have changed to me in his attitude in comments. Basically saying ‘if you don’t like it then **** off’ doesn’t sit well with me. He made a very good impression with me in the first couple of months, but has gone a long way to destroy it in one comment. Same as anything, it takes a lot to get a good reputation and seconds to lose it. I know for a fact I’m not the only one that feels like this. I’m not gonna do anything daft yet to potentially cut my nose off to spite my face, but will be putting some thought to it. I try to buy the person/company as well as the product so will be keeping an eye on his responses before making my mind up. As a business owner myself that operates 7 days a week 365 days a year I know only too well the pressure of never having proper days off, but would never relay that across to customers - they pay for a service, it’s up to me to make sure they get it and, if issues arise, communicate them in a timely and proper manor. He’s failed on that but, more importantly, not admitted it. That’s the reason for me reacting how I have.
TPS10
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Post by TPS10 »

TigerChris wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:54 pm I’m not bothered about the survey as I haven’t decided yet either. I’m just brassed off that, rather than just admit he got it wrong, he has put a long list of excuses without once just saying ‘I should have let you know, I’m sorry’. That’s all it took, simple. Since he got the funding he seems to have changed to me in his attitude in comments. Basically saying ‘if you don’t like it then **** off’ doesn’t sit well with me. He made a very good impression with me in the first couple of months, but has gone a long way to destroy it in one comment. Same as anything, it takes a lot to get a good reputation and seconds to lose it. I know for a fact I’m not the only one that feels like this. I’m not gonna do anything daft yet to potentially cut my nose off to spite my face, but will be putting some thought to it. I try to buy the person/company as well as the product so will be keeping an eye on his responses before making my mind up. As a business owner myself that operates 7 days a week 365 days a year I know only too well the pressure of never having proper days off, but would never relay that across to customers - they pay for a service, it’s up to me to make sure they get it and, if issues arise, communicate them in a timely and proper manor. He’s failed on that but, more importantly, not admitted it. That’s the reason for me reacting how I have.
I can understand your feelings and can’t disagree with a lot of what you’ve said.

However, unless I’ve missed something, which is possible with the volume of comments, I feel it is only this last week that Ross has let himself down with his comments. Apart from that, I think he’s been very open and honest and quite accommodating.

What are thoughts at the moment and has Ross’s response since, made you feel more comfortable?
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

TPS10 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:41 pm What are thoughts at the moment and has Ross’s response since, made you feel more comfortable?
His communication over the last couple of days has been a lot better. I think he knows he stuffed up last week. I just wish he would have admitted it to his backers. I think he is doing in a roundabout way though. I wouldn’t say that I am 100% comfortable, but I’m comfortable enough to stay ‘in’.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

TigerChris wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:28 am
TPS10 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:41 pm What are thoughts at the moment and has Ross’s response since, made you feel more comfortable?
His communication over the last couple of days has been a lot better. I think he knows he stuffed up last week. I just wish he would have admitted it to his backers. I think he is doing in a roundabout way though. I wouldn’t say that I am 100% comfortable, but I’m comfortable enough to stay ‘in’.
Chris, as you’ve probably stayed in, what combination/s did you go for?

I went for Black dial, White dial and Dark Blue dial. All on the ceramic bezel. No extras added. Didn’t see the point of spare bezels in particular.

DISJT has gone for same, with the addition of the the Yellow.

Brian
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

TheBeatles wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:01 pm
TigerChris wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:28 am
Chris, as you’ve probably stayed in, what combination/s did you go for?

I went for Black dial, White dial and Dark Blue dial. All on the ceramic bezel. No extras added. Didn’t see the point of spare bezels in particular.

DISJT has gone for same, with the addition of the the Yellow.

Brian
I haven’t even decided yet :lol: I signed up for the black dial but swaying more towards the yellow now with titanium bezel as a summer watch and hoping that Ross gets grey rubber sorted as an option as I like yellow or orange with grey.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

TheBeatles wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:05 am Looking at the comments here and on the Hamsun Kickstarter campaign, it seems we have a fair few members taking the plunge.

I also noticed an ex Forum member there too. DISJT looks to have pledged. An unusual name, so certainly would appear to be Chris.
I'm in too. 1 watch meteorite dial, selitta movement. Not convinced it'll be a keeper as I flipped the Mk1 but hey ho.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

tikkathree wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:25 pm
I'm in too. 1 watch meteorite dial, selitta movement. Not convinced it'll be a keeper as I flipped the Mk1 but hey ho.
I went for 3 to secure the best price possible, knowing I couldn’t lose if I flipped 1 or 2. So someone could get a bargain.

However I’ll have to wait and see because on the face of it, the H2 seems superior to the H1 on so many levels.

timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

This just popped up. New Maen Skymaster 38mm automatic (ETA 2894) chronograph. Coming to kickstarter in Sept at €799.

Sounds too good to be true :shock:
Tim
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

timor54 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:21 pm This just popped up. New Maen Skymaster 38mm automatic (ETA 2894) chronograph. Coming to kickstarter in Sept at €799.

I am impressed. Much thinner than a 7750 based watch. Great size, and nice choice of dial colours. Dare I say, with the sub-dial placement, it's a better looking Speedmaster reduced. The Maen Hudson was well received, so hopefully this one will be a winner as well.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by EddieTheBeast »

Lavaine wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:03 pm
timor54 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:21 pm This just popped up. New Maen Skymaster 38mm automatic (ETA 2894) chronograph. Coming to kickstarter in Sept at €799.

I am impressed. Much thinner than a 7750 based watch. Great size, and nice choice of dial colours. Dare I say, with the sub-dial placement, it's a better looking Speedmaster reduced. The Maen Hudson was well received, so hopefully this one will be a winner as well.
I've got to agree chaps, these pandas look fab!! Nice size and less than 11mm thick for an automatic chronograph is amazing!! Also nice to see the movement through the case back. :clap:

Dean
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

EddieTheBeast wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:02 pm
I've got to agree chaps, these pandas look fab!! Nice size and less than 11mm thick for an automatic chronograph is amazing!! Also nice to see the movement through the case back. :clap:
Digging a little deeper into the specs, the approx 11mm is just the case thickness. There’s a box hesalite crystal in addition making it something more like 13mm overall. Nevertheless, the dimensions are pretty nice.
Tim