Change in 60 Month Warranty Policy?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Change in 60 Month Warranty Policy?

Post by FloridaPhil »

The original wording in my Trident Chrono manual states 60 month movement guarantee. Service is recommended but not mandatory and the two are not linked.
CW warranty.png
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

neilj568 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:00 pm I can't be bothered to read all the posts so if it has been mentioned already then apologies but I just checked the booklet for my C60 COSC that I bought in July 2018 and the 3/4 years service is mentioned in the booklet....so not new...!!!!

My other boxes are in the loft so not going to check them but if anyone has earlier examples may be good to check
This from a C60 mk2 -

"60/60 GUARANTEE
1. 60 DAY FREE RETURNS
Our success depends on you being completely happy with your new
Christopher Ward watch. You have up to 60 days to return your watch,
absolutely free of charge, and receive a replacement or full refund
by return – so long as it has not been worn and is returned in
box-perfect condition.
2. 60 MONTH MOVEMENT GUARANTEE
Your watch, at its heart, has a top quality precision engineered
Swiss movement – so it’s very unlikely to give you problems with the
minimum amount of care and attention, including a regular service.
We recommend you return your watch to us every 3/4 years for a
service, so our expert technicians can keep your fine timepiece in
peak condition.
SERVICING & REPAIRS…THE CHRISTOPHER WARD WAY…
Our innovative approach to servicing and repairing your Christopher Ward
watch means that having your watch serviced or repaired doesn’t
mean months of waiting followed by an exorbitant bill – which is more or
less the experience guaranteed by every other luxury watch brand.
We have developed an easy, quick and affordable expert service and
repairs programme that doesn’t cost the earth and has your watch
back where it belongs – on your wrist – in double-quick time."
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

^^ Phil beat me to it :)
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neilj568 »

FloridaPhil wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:24 pm The original wording in my Trident Chrono manual states 60 month movement guarantee. Service is recommended but not mandatory and the two are not linked.
I don't believe this assertion is correct - the terms clearly state "...minimum amount of care and attention, including a regular service..." thus the service is, in fact, mandatory.

I'd suggest that these are weasel words that could be used to wriggle out of an obligation to provide a free repair.

"The problem was XXXXX which could have been prevented had you had the watch serviced as recommended therefore we are unable to authorise a warranty repair."
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Marketing email received today pushing Fathers Day - no mention of a service requirement in the 60/60.

The discover more link takes you to: https://www.christopherward.co.uk/cserv ... -guarantee which also doesn't insist on a service before it's 4 years old.

The only watch mentioned or shown is the MK3 Trident. :problem:
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Whilst thinking about the change in warranty and looking for industry recommendations of service intervals, I came across this interesting article, that I thought was worth posting. :)

https://nobswatchmaker.com/blog/art-of- ... atchmaking

I have read other articles on the blog a while ago. I think he knows his stuff.

Wondering whether he would think that a watch worn very infrequently needs servicing as regularly as a watch worn everyday?

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neilj568 »

2019-06-11 12_25_41-60_60 Watch Guarantee _ Customer Services _ Christopher Ward.jpg

Servicing is "recommended" - refer back to my post regarding these weasel words
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Wow! I post a few random thoughts and I get accused of making crazy statements, trying to spin this issue favorably and having blind faith in the brand. So be it.

While I am no lawyer and agree that the warranty verbiage needs to be consistent in manuals and on the website, I will maintain that it is still a 5 year warranty. It Is virtually the same as before, but is now more specific (clear) than it was. The service was, and still is, a requirement, but now is more specific. It is also clear that it must be done by CW.

I am not seeing a need to notify customers of a change when, in my view, it hasn’t changed. Only the wording. Regardless, whatever warranty was in effect when you bought your watch, should be what you would be governed by. Hence the need for the consistency between manuals and website.

I will leave the details of how a warranty must be advertised to the legal eagles.

Most of the other brands mentioned within this post do not require a service to maintain their warranty because, either their recommended intervals are different and/or the warranty expires prior to a service being recommended. As I thought...rather clever of them.

The auto industry requires service/maintenance to maintain your warranty as does CW. Both state this upfront. That is now clearer. I don’t see my random thought of a 10 year warranty, that requires service being any different from an auto warranty of 10 years that requires service to keep it valid.

It is true that the industry standard is a one year warranty on service. Many have been quick to point out that you are not getting anything extra if you service at 4 years. Well, your defective parts would still be covered, which is what the primary focus of the warranty is about anyway. Perhaps you would feel better by getting the watch serviced at 3 years instead. Perhaps CW should make a specific recommendation of 3 years.

Whether or not you believe in the service intervals is up to you. Whether you follow the manufacturers recommendations is also a choice. I doubt that any of us follow the guidelines of warranties to the letter on all products we own. That is up to us and we take our chances accordingly.

The above are just my personal opinions and interpretations. You can interpret things any way you like and we may have to agree to disagree if our interpretations are different.

What we can probably agree on is that the Warranty needs to be stated exactly the same on all paperwork and the website.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

We can discuss this forever - what we need is for the CW owners to stipulate the actual terms and mandatory requirements of the 5 year warranty for past purchases before and after any wording was changed.

Without that we're just arguing/discussing amongst ourselves.

So how do we get that statement from CW?
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Not seen any documentation previously insisting on a service within the warranty period - so unless this service is free, which it doesn't appear to be then that's a significant change. My perception (as a customer) is CW are advertising a 5 year warranty, but I have to pay for a service in the first 4 years to receive year 5 (so really I'm paying for the final year). So if I stand still, do nothing and don't get it serviced then the warranty ends in 4 years and not 5.

CW make big claims about 60/60 - if they continue to do so, then they need to either state a service is required or change the policy imho.
If I get chance, I'll have a chat with a mate who works in Trading Standards on this.

To be clear if CW have changed their attitude or offering then that's up to them. But it's the usual inconsistent and conflicting communication that creates problems as highlighted on this thread.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

what-time-is-it wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:16 pm Not seen any documentation previously insisting on a service within the warranty period - so unless this service is free, which it doesn't appear to be then that's a significant change. My perception (as a customer) is CW are advertising a 5 year warranty, but I have to pay for a service in the first 4 years to receive year 5 (so really I'm paying for the final year). So if I stand still, do nothing and don't get it serviced then the warranty ends in 4 years and not 5.

CW make big claims about 60/60 - if they continue to do so, then they need to either state a service is required or change the policy imho.
If I get chance, I'll have a chat with a mate who works in Trading Standards on this.

To be clear if CW have changed their attitude or offering then that's up to them. But it's the usual inconsistent and conflicting communication that creates problems as highlighted on this thread.
:thumbup: :clap:
Spot on.
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Macdaz »

Mikkei4 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:10 pm We can discuss this forever - what we need is for the CW owners to stipulate the actual terms and mandatory requirements of the 5 year warranty for past purchases before and after any wording was changed.

Without that we're just arguing/discussing amongst ourselves.

So how do we get that statement from CW?
For past purchases we don't need them to do anything. In truth anything they did do would be irrelevant. Certainly for sales made in the UK the only thing that defines your rights is UK Contract law. And that says that the wording that was in place at the time the contract of sale was agreed between CW and the buyer (IE the day they took your money and you accepted a watch) is the wording that applies to your watch. Nothing CW or anybody else says or does will change your rights under the law. Terms and conditions cannot be changed retrospectively without the agreement of both parties.
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

Mikkei4 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:20 pm
what-time-is-it wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:16 pm Not seen any documentation previously insisting on a service within the warranty period - so unless this service is free, which it doesn't appear to be then that's a significant change. My perception (as a customer) is CW are advertising a 5 year warranty, but I have to pay for a service in the first 4 years to receive year 5 (so really I'm paying for the final year). So if I stand still, do nothing and don't get it serviced then the warranty ends in 4 years and not 5.

:thumbup: :clap:
Spot on.
Absolutely correct. A balanced well thought out post, rather than “smoke and mirrors”. :thumbup: :clap:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

From C6 Kingfisher manual (circa 2007)
Finally, don’t forget our CW360° Care Programme allows you to return your watch absolutely free,
for any reason, and with no quibbles, for up to 60 days after purchase and we also guarantee your
movement for up to 60 months, so long as it is regularly serviced. After all, why shouldn’t you enjoy
peace of mind as much as you enjoy your watch?

From C60 Trident Pro Automatic manual (Circa 2009)
2. 60 Month MOVEMENT GUARANTEE
Your watch, at its heart, has a top quality precision engineered Swiss
movement – so it’s very unlikely to give you problems with the minimum
amount of care and attention, including a regular service. We recommend
you return your watch to us every 3/4 years for a service, so our expert
technicians can keep your fine timepiece in the peak of condition.

From C60 Trident Pro 600 manual (Circa 2015)
2. 60 Month movement guarantee
Your watch, at its heart, has a top quality precision engineered Swiss movement –
so it’s very unlikely to give you problems with the minimum amount of
care and attention, including a regular service. We recommend you return
your watch to us every 3/4 years for a service, so our expert technicians can keep
your fine timepiece in peak condition.

From C60 Trident 600 Mk III manual (2019)
60 Month Movement Guarantee
Your watch has a top-quality precision engineered Swiss movement
– but if it develops a movement fault within 5 years, and has been
serviced by us at the recommended interval (within a maximum of 4
years from date of despatch), we will repair it for free under warranty.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

what-time-is-it wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:16 pm My perception (as a customer) is CW are advertising a 5 year warranty, but I have to pay for a service in the first 4 years to receive year 5 (so really I'm paying for the final year). So if I stand still, do nothing and don't get it serviced then the warranty ends in 4 years and not 5.

My perception also - one has to pay for the final year. Significant change for the worse, whether the overall warranty remains generous or not. I have been looking at Ulysse Nardin lately (I already have one) and their policy is:

2 years warranty, extendable to 5 online up to one year after purchase.

Service interval recommendation 3-5 years with a one year warranty on the work.

The guarantee including the extension to 5 years is NOT dependant on having a service.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)