If Carlsberg made watches to be unloved.......

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

If Carlsberg made watches to be unloved.......

Post by tikkathree »

I guess we've all got the CW Clearance page open in another tab: I certainly have.

I''ve kinda got one eye open for a C60 Mk 1 or 2 GMT complication, I've already admitted to it. It's not a need, let's face it, it's never your actual need like oxygen, water or food, it's just another of those never-ending lusts which afflict us all here.

I keep seeing these two which have become the Unloved Twins ad I'm wondering why....

are we all circling vultures just waiting for the price to drop to a level we consider more reasonable (for the brand)?

I did own a black C60 COSC and though I flipped it (I know, I know, it's just silly pointless habit! ](*,) ](*,) ) it was a highly effective watch.
Ask me why I flipped it and I can't remember exactly but it would have been to release funds to buy another dive watch, probably Swiss-branded, beginning with the letter O. Oh!

Yes, yes, I've heard that there's something new and whizzy called a MkIII (apparently) but in my personal flipping behaviour I'm not yet ready to cast off the MkI & II handsets as passe. Let's hear it for the old guys...... :-({|= =D> =D> =D>

So here it is: the MkII C60 COSC's are just the most wonderfully understated and effective watches. I've recently picked up a white C60 MkII and it is such a pretty thing. The case is slim, the dial is wavy and it really is the most beautiful thing.

Having worked in selling capital assets for several years I am clear that "everything sells at the right price" and I look at these two and just know that there are two strong urges zinging around:
1. Re-buying CW watch models "I have flipped and regretted" is nothing new for me.
2. I have to deal with an internal conflict between "eye candy on my wrist" and "ooh, clever choice" and I flop between the two.

In summary then, I'm interested in another C60 COSC but am rather waiting to see what the coming days and weeks do for the roll-out of the clapped-out old MkII C60s (when is Father's Day?) but what do you think?
Attachments
Capture unloved twins.JPG
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: If Carlsberg made watches to be unloved.......

Post by Mikkei4 »

"Always the bridesmaid never the bride" might be relevant to these 2 watches as I think they've stuck in the last few Clearances.

Potential reasons why they haven't been bought?
1. has to be the price. I'm not saying that they're too expensive per se but maybe too expensive to bother buying because the standard C60 is much cheaper and how many are really bothered about paying more for COSC specs? At 50% off they'd probably sell.
2. maybe size, they're only in 43mm and that's too big for some.
3. logo - take your choice which version isn't liked (if any at all), there's 1 of each. I wonder if they'd both still be stuck in Clearance if the dial colours were swapped onto the other logo.
4. Re-sale value - you've confessed to being a flipper so you and others must have a question lurking in the depths asking how much you'd get back if you decided to flip again.

If I was to buy either, which I won't be, I'd buy the white as it has my preferred logo and the full Trident Pro words above 6 o'clock thus making a more balanced dial IMO.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

Although N60-43A5D1-S0KW0-B0 states size as 43mm, I thought the 43mm C60s also had the little baton at 3 o’clock.

Or are the COSC/Chrono cases different?

I agree with Mikkei4 that the White is the preferred model. It actually looks great especially if it is 43mm. 38mm C60s for me anyway, look unbalanced. 50% off I’d be very tempted but I’m not ready to pay well over £1k for any CW. For that kind of money I’d be looking elsewhere.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

TheBeatles wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:00 am Although N60-43A5D1-S0KW0-B0 states size as 43mm, I thought the 43mm C60s also had the little baton at 3 o’clock.

The SH21 movement date wheel is further to the right of the dial compared to the SW200 in the standard C60 because it's a larger movement, hence the lack of marker at 3 :thumbup:

edit - to make a little more sense :oops:
Ryan
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

TheBeatles wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:00 am Although N60-43A5D1-S0KW0-B0 states size as 43mm, I thought the 43mm C60s also had the little baton at 3 o’clock.

I agree with Mikkei4 that the White is the preferred model. It actually looks great especially if it is 43mm. 38mm C60s for me anyway, look unbalanced. 50% off I’d be very tempted but I’m not ready to pay well over £1k for any CW. For that kind of money I’d be looking elsewhere.
COSC versions are different - they don't have any baton at 3. I've recently spotted that from some members own photos of their COSC.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

Thanks for explanation guys.

Brian
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by what-time-is-it »

I would wait on the 5 day Trident if you can - as mentioned in the thread below, I bought a black one earlier in the year @ £825 and offered it on here before returning.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51901

and speaking of unloved, I created the thread below about slow selling limited edition watches in April '18 - and the watch in question was the white Trident SH21...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48749
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

what-time-is-it wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:21 am I would wait on the 5 day Trident if you can - as mentioned in the thread below, I bought a black one earlier in the year @ £825 and offered it on here before returning.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51901

and speaking of unloved, I created the thread below about slow selling limited edition watches in April '18 - and the watch in question was the white Trident SH21...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48749

So it's your fault? :lol: :lol: That's an interesting thread, almost every post merits a reply even now. :thumbup: :thumbup:
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands
McDaWisel
Expert
Expert

Post by McDaWisel »

Why is the list price for the LE 1,815 GBP? Seems overpriced compared to the new MkIII.

The new Trident MkIII Elite is COSC as well, it’s got a higher depth rating and is made from Titanium, which is usually more expensive. The steel bracelet is 120 GBP, while the hybrid is 55, so even allowing for that, the difference is still 500 GBP?

What am I missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Selita movement in the Elite, SH21 in-house movement in the Trident COSC.
McDaWisel
Expert
Expert

Post by McDaWisel »

Ha yes, not sure how I missed that :-(
In that case 500 GBP seems like a very fair uplift!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Was I the only person (sucker) who paid full price for the SH21 C60. Oh well. It was my first CW. Now I'd at least wait for a discount voucher FOMO be damned.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

My perspective on this. The C60 SH21 Chronometer is identical in most respects to the ETA/Sellita version, and I don't believe there are many people who would pay more than double the standard watch for the COSC version, even if it is an LE. The accuracy of the standard watch is pretty decent in the first place.

I was trying to think of other premium watch brands who produce an almost identical model of watch in both non COSC and COSC versions with a similar price premium between the two, and I cannot think of any (although I'm sure someone will). It seems like most brands will go further to differentiate their their higher price COSC models vs standard movement models perhaps with a different case/dial etc.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

albionphoto wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:36 pm Was I the only person (sucker) who paid full price for the SH21 C60. Oh well. It was my first CW. Now I'd at least wait for a discount voucher FOMO be damned.
Attaboy, you're catching on fast.

The current promo / voucher code doesn't work with this watch - yes I tried it yesterday.
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands
McDaWisel
Expert
Expert

Post by McDaWisel »

After reading the last couple of comments I am changing my mind about my previous comment that the 500 GBP is a fair uplift. You really can’t compare the two watches I was comparing. Really have to be compared to the 795 GBP of the new MkIII. At full price they are in and around 1,000 GBP more expensive! Well over 1,000 if you take the voucher into account that only works on the new watches. After NN discount still 500 more for an older model.

From the 1 year of experience I have with the brand, CW customers seem pragmatic and look for value. That big of a markup for an in-house movement is probably not seen as good value by most. With that 500 GBP you could get yourself a second watch!

Purely looking at the facts: The SH21 gets 5 days power reserve as opposed to just under 2, but is also a relatively unknown movement... while the SW / ETA movements are generally accepted as best in class.