repair info

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
bpeatman

repair info

Post by bpeatman »

Any advice on getting a broken watch repaired?

I bought a C60 Trident Pro on March 31 and it stopped working 61 days later on June 1. Emailed CW and called their US number (the nice woman that answered the phone seemed to know nothing about the company or products, had to spell out the name of the watch, for example) and said "someone" would contact me.

In response to the email, someone did email me back and asked "If I would like to have the watch repaired." Is that a trick question? What else would I do?

Anyway, it's been a bit of an awkward process so far. Would like to know what others' experiences have been or any advice for how to best interact with the company re: service. Thanks.

Bill
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Re: repair info

Post by Paul Drawmer »

Did you buy it new, or do you have the original paperwork that will show it is under warranty?

If it is under warranty, then call CW in the UK (I know nothing about a US number for CW) and they will help you with the returns process for a warranty repair.

Or just reply to the email, stating that you want it repaired and asking how to return it to get that done.
There's always time for one more.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

A few months ago I had to email CW about a purchase for which an incorrect bracelet had been sent. If your first email was via the "Contact" form email then I found that it's not the best way of getting something started. What was the name of the person on the email you received?

I'm going to assume that you bought the watch new as in March you were asking questions about rubber straps on the C60. So forward the email you received to Scott Callaway, the Service Manager, stating (again) what you have done in your post here and that you want to start the repair or exchange process straight away.
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

The North American 1-800 number is a call service only (which is why she would know nothing about the watch).

Try phoning the North American number during the overlap with UK customer service hours and request that the call service connects you to the CW UK customer service. Sometimes they feel compelled to act as "call screeners" and if you need a specific name then, use Scott Callaway.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
bpeatman

Post by bpeatman »

Thank you all. I bought it new in March. Good detective work Mikkei4! I emailed again and was then contacted by none other than Scott Calloway. Hopefully, I'm in good hands now.
albionprs
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1
LE-fourb: Yes
Location: West of Ireland with a real turf fire keeping us warm

Post by albionprs »

Good luck with CW customer service.
This is **** reply I received today from them.
Please be aware that they had my watch for over 3 months now.
Here goes:
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry that this is taking so long to respond to you, I am currently working my way through my emails to you. I will respond to you messages as soon as possible, we have had some unforeseen circumstance that has arisen over the week that has been unavoidable. I just want to let you know that I am not ignoring you or avoiding your messages. I am genuinely concerned and want to deliver a 5 star experience for you.

If you are enquiring about an update of a repair that is in for an inspection, we are currently working our way through the inspects and giving you a quote as soon as possible.  I am currently the only member in the After Sales team currently making my way through the inspects out, my colleague Katie will be assisting me tomorrow and from now on.   If you are enquiring about an update for an order placed over the phone then please email in to the customer service inbox were one of my colleagues will respond to you in a timely manner.

For any refunds or replacements and PayPal invoices I am currently experiencing a technical difficulties causing me to not be able to process the payment as efficiently as possible.

I appreciate that this issue is not your to deal with but I am currently making my way through to you as soon as possible, I believe being honest with the customer and letting them know what is happening as soon as possible.

Please accept my apologies.

It just tells me the company has expanded so quickly, however it hasn't put the personal in place in order that it can continue moving forward.
Life is always full of surprises
C60 - 300 Green, C65 Sandhurst; 1962 9ct Omega Auto; Tudor Black Bay GMT; Tag Heuer Monza; Omega Aqua Terra Blue; Rolex Explorer 114270
triffidman
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by triffidman »

That sounds hugely frustrating for you, I don't envy you, but you hopefully have more patience than me. Their honesty is all very well, but they have openly admitted that almost every part of the after-sales process has an issue.

....yet strangely enough (and do correct me if I'm wrong), I can bet that their process for taking your money in the first place was absolutely faultless.

Due to many a frustrating experience myself, I visit here nowadays to pick up any of my 'wish list' used Chr.Ward watches. Would never buy a new one from them, it's a case of too many times bitten, making me very shy now!!

I do hope you get things sorted out albionprs, I can't offer any particular advice I'm afraid, but it always seems to be the case that perseverance does eventually pay off - you won't be out of pocket, but you'll be out patience.
C60 GMT (SOKKO)
C40 Chronograph

Laco Helsinki
Tissot T Touch Expert

Casio G-Shock Frogman
Casio G-Shock GPW-1000
bpeatman

Post by bpeatman »

Well now I am a little scared after hearing from albionprs and triffidman. I was told by Scott Calloway that my watch was damaged by a drop or knock and that it would cost 122 pounds to repair (and it would take 8 weeks). I purchased the watch on March 31. Watch stopped working on May 31 while sitting on a dresser in a hotel room. Exactly 60 days (the refund window) but I did not report it until I returned home on June 2. I don't recall any knocks other than through ordinary wear. I ended up choosing this watch because the warranty told me the watches must be very well made and that CW stands behind its product. I wasn't sure I wanted a watch that stops working after 60 days, but I was prepared to give it a second chance. But I certainly don't think I should have to pay 25% of the cost of the watch to have it repaired under these circumstances. Hearing triffidman's experience makes me think I may be in for a nightmare. Any advice would be welcomed. Thank you.
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

Another poor soul about to endure the painful experience of customer services.

Just wanna buy him a pint and give him a hug :lol:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

triffidman wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:50 pm That sounds hugely frustrating for you, I don't envy you, but you hopefully have more patience than me. Their honesty is all very well, but they have openly admitted that almost every part of the after-sales process has an issue.

....yet strangely enough (and do correct me if I'm wrong), I can bet that their process for taking your money in the first place was absolutely faultless.

Due to many a frustrating experience myself, I visit here nowadays to pick up any of my 'wish list' used Chr.Ward watches. Would never buy a new one from them, it's a case of too many times bitten, making me very shy now!!

I do hope you get things sorted out albionprs, I can't offer any particular advice I'm afraid, but it always seems to be the case that perseverance does eventually pay off - you won't be out of pocket, but you'll be out patience.

I was thinking about buying my second new from CW but you’re so right. I’m thinking of buying pre owned from SC or Ebay. Then if it needs work I’ll drop it into a watchmaker in Hatton Garden. No painful emails or mind numbing phone calls. 2 weeks job done, pick it up......... Bosh. Sorted.
Think this route could be the way to go. :thumbup:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
bpeatman

Post by bpeatman »

Why do you keep buying CW watches that need so much fixing? Mine stopped after two months, and they are blaming me!
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

bpeatman wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:02 pm Why do you keep buying CW watches that need so much fixing? Mine stopped after two months, and they are blaming me!
It is not the general experience despite the flavour of the day on here. None of my CWs have given any problems and my C8PR gets as much wrist time as any of my other watches while consistently running at about 0.5spd accuracy.

Having said that, I have every sympathy for you - fight your corner and tell Scott that a knock is not the problem. Obviously they need to look into it.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
bpeatman

Post by bpeatman »

Thank you all. The latest is that they have agreed to fix at no charge.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

bpeatman wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:24 pm Thank you all. The latest is that they have agreed to fix at no charge.
Seems like justice has been done. Do keep us up to date and I hope it all works out in timely manner.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Along with the other CS issues that are being brought up recently, this seems to be a disturbing trend. There are 3 recent posts where customers have been initially charged for what should be warranty work, or overcharged for service work. After being questioned, the price has either been lowered, or the work now covered under warranty. I hope these are honest errors (and they most likely are), but 3 such incidences in such a short time is concerning, and do nothing to improve the reputation of CW.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.