Replacement Instructions / C of A

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Fraserlees
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 15

Replacement Instructions / C of A

Post by Fraserlees »

Recently acquired a CW that was purchased in 2018. At the time CW were out of instruction booklets, so just sent the usual letter stating that the booklet would follow.

It would appear that in this case, the booklet never did appear, so now I'm keen to see if I can reunite watch with instructions or a C of A.

I will approach the guy I bought it from to see if he can request it, but has anyone else been able to obtain instructions / C of A for a watch that was missing them when they purchased from a 3rd party?
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Replacement Instructions / C of A

Post by what-time-is-it »

Personally I wouldn't buy from a third-party without the COA - you have no guarantee that they bought the watch themselves. I've sold a watch on ebay that I purchased direct from CW and the buyer has then sold on saying they bought it direct themselves!

Hopefully your seller is genuine, helpful and can/will assist.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

You may find one to download from here:
https://www.christopherward.co.uk/cserv ... -handbooks
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

what-time-is-it wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:37 pm Personally I wouldn't buy from a third-party without the COA - you have no guarantee that they bought the watch themselves. I've sold a watch on ebay that I purchased direct from CW and the buyer has then sold on saying they bought it direct themselves!

Funny thing isn't it - and I simply ponder here - we'll buy a vintage watch on looks and condition without any expectation of full provenance and yet when it comes to a more modern product we can set such store by a much shorter provenance.
I agree completely that if a seller claims that he is the first owner, he should be able to verify that statement as being true.
What tiny percentage of all the watches listed on EBay come with any provenance and is there a formula which demonstrates the extent to which buyers require a provenance?
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

tikkathree wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:05 am
what-time-is-it wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:37 pm Personally I wouldn't buy from a third-party without the COA - you have no guarantee that they bought the watch themselves. I've sold a watch on ebay that I purchased direct from CW and the buyer has then sold on saying they bought it direct themselves!

Funny thing isn't it - and I simply ponder here - we'll buy a vintage watch on looks and condition without any expectation of full provenance and yet when it comes to a more modern product we can set such store by a much shorter provenance.
I agree completely that if a seller claims that he is the first owner, he should be able to verify that statement as being true.
What tiny percentage of all the watches listed on EBay come with any provenance and is there a formula which demonstrates the extent to which buyers require a provenance?
I find it even more amusing that people generally assume that the mystical “full box and papers” in some way authenticates that a watch is genuine.

I do though accept there are other reasons why someone would look to only buy (other than vintage) with full B&P.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Laird
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 66

Post by Laird »

Fraserlees wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:00 pm Recently acquired a CW that was purchased in 2018. At the time CW were out of instruction booklets, so just sent the usual letter stating that the booklet would follow.

It would appear that in this case, the booklet never did appear, so now I'm keen to see if I can reunite watch with instructions or a C of A.

I will approach the guy I bought it from to see if he can request it, but has anyone else been able to obtain instructions / C of A for a watch that was missing them when they purchased from a 3rd party?

Had the same issue last year with a C70 - CWL CS went as far as they could to link the watch to the original owner so they could issue a replacement CoA - but couldnt find the original purchasor, so wouldnt offer a CoA ...

You'd think the records would be keyed to the Serial # ....
|C70s|C7 BB, IRR, BRG, RC, Hornet, Valjoux|C3 GT|C4 Phoenix|C40 SpeedHawk|C5 BoB, Aviator|C8 Pilots*3, UTC & AD|C60 316L Y, O, B, GMT, DD Valjoux|C65 316LE,Classic LE, DT LE, 2VEV|C1 WT|C9 Pulse, JH2, AMGT, SSH21|C11 HRDC & Makaira|
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

nbg wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:10 am
tikkathree wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:05 am

I find it even more amusing that people generally assume that the mystical “full box and papers” in some way authenticates that a watch is genuine.

I do though accept there are other reasons why someone would look to only buy (other than vintage) with full B&P.

Neil
It’s all about the provenance I guess Neil. I take your point that B & P in themselves don’t necessarily confirm that, say a used Rolex, is genuine but assuming the watch is genuine, they are definitely better to have than not and do enhance the value both in monetary and satisfaction terms of owning.

If you were buying said used Rolex then an inspection by a Rolex AD/expert is ultimately perhaps more valuable in terms of verifying authenticity.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way