Heavy-weight loss

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Heavy-weight loss

Post by strapline »

I see there has been a bit of banter on the forum regarding the CL final. But what of the loss of Anthony Joshua, and the relinquishing of his titles? Personally I like the guy. He has been a good ambassador for his sport, as well as helping with the resurgence in the interest in boxing as a whole. I suppose the internet keyboard warriors and trolls will go in to overdrive now. He seems to have a lot better taste in watches than Floyd Mayweather, too. No massive diamond-encrusted Rolexes, I think an AP Royal Oak is his weapon of choice. No issue with skinny wrists there either... :lol:
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Heavy-weight loss

Post by jtc »

Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

Ha, ha, ha... I saw this too. Really doesn't look like anything approaching an athlete but, bizarrely, has a good engine despite his shape. It's gonna be interesting to read the sports pages tomorrow.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Forgive me - I'm a complete non-starter where boxing is concerned and I know less than diddly-squat, but I gather this Joshua fellow was a long odds-on favourite, 1-25, I read. Pity I didn't have a grand on the other guy! :lol:

Anyway, it seems that favourites winning in sport is becoming a bit more predictable these days so to have someone coming out of the field and causing a bit of a ripple ruddy great wave every now and then is quite fun.

Vivent les Underdogs! :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Classic, Steve. :clap:

Cheered me up after a so so day.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Dynamite_Kid19
Expert
Expert

Post by Dynamite_Kid19 »

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Once Ruiz buzzed AJ with the temple shot in the 3rd round he wasn't the same after. AJ needs to change his style big time, he's huge, work the reach and jab. Supposed to be an immediate rematch. He's going to have to fighter smarter and harder.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

Dynamite_Kid19 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:46 pm I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Once Ruiz buzzed AJ with the temple shot in the 3rd round he wasn't the same after. AJ needs to change his style big time, he's huge, work the reach and jab. Supposed to be an immediate rematch. He's going to have to fighter smarter and harder.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Yes, agreed with your comment. He looked completely out of sorts to me, even in his corner before the fight started. He did not fight a smart fight given his attributes. I am not sure that he will have the desire to regain those belts. He's a smart, rich man now; I wonder if his ambitions might lie outside the ring. The measure of any sporting loss is your ability to bounce back and regain your former glory.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Apparently, Joshua had a panick attack in the dressing room pre-fight, He's Dad asked Hearn to pull him out.
Also he was rumoured to have been knocked out in sparring, and he's Dad wanted him pulled out then too.

That would explain some of what went on in the ring, hopefully he can bounce back, and regain the Belts.
I think he needs a new trainer, though.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

magicman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:23 pm Apparently, Joshua had a panick attack in the dressing room pre-fight, He's Dad asked Hearn to pull him out.
Also he was rumoured to have been knocked out in sparring, and he's Dad wanted him pulled out then too.

That would explain some of what went on in the ring, hopefully he can bounce back, and regain the Belts.
I think he needs a new trainer, though.

Regards Steve
Wow, interesting, Steve. I haven't heard or read what you mentioned from any other source. I think a story will emerge in time. No idea what could induce a panic attack, he has fought in front of 80,000 people. I think his focus may not have been near where it needed to be, what with media obligations and the massive financial carrots they lay outside the ring. I am a fan of the guy, I hope he has it in him to stage a remarkable comeback.
STodd
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 13
LE-five: yes

Post by STodd »

I agree Steve, I think he’s gone as far as he can with McCracken and needs a different voice....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C60 GMT MkI¦C11 Elite,Pro¦C700 Grande Rapide¦C8 Pilot MkII¦C8 UTC¦C10 FLE#13¦C4 'Phoenix'¦Speedhawk¦Bluebird LE#319¦IRR LE#129¦C1000 FGR4
Omega PO 2201.51.00¦Damasko DA44¦Seiko KS 5621-7020, SRP639¦Luminox 1833¦Newmark 6BB¦Scurfa DiverOne NATO