Smiths Vanguard anyone?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Smiths Vanguard anyone?

Post by EddieTheBeast »

Did anyone snag a Smiths Vanguard from Timefactors Saturday before last? I was very tempted but had to drive SWMBO to the train station at 15.00 when they became available on-line for purchase.

The 50 white dial ones sold out in 17 minutes and all trading was stopped so they could be sorted and sent out to their new owners. Watches being happily received here

I think they look very good and I'm still tempted to try to get one of the remaining black dial versions. Shame they're 16mm thick, but I understand that it's because of the movement thickness!

What do you think?
Dean
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Smiths Vanguard anyone?

Post by TigerChris »

Damn! Didn’t know anything about them - Off to the site I go to take a look

Edit: Just been to have a look, tried adding the black to the basket but sales on hold until all existing purchases have been shipped - maybe up to 2 weeks
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by EddieTheBeast »

TigerChris wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:03 pm Damn! Didn’t know anything about them - Off to the site I go to take a look

Edit: Just been to have a look, tried adding the black to the basket but sales on hold until all existing purchases have been shipped - maybe up to 2 weeks
If you follow Eddie’s forum pages (he is Swanbourne - check out message #171) he only had 15 left to ship and was hoping to finish them today! So maybe tomorrow they'll be back on.
Dean
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

EddieTheBeast wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:56 pm
TigerChris wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:03 pm Damn! Didn’t know anything about them - Off to the site I go to take a look

If you follow Eddies forum pages (he is Swanbourne - check out message #171) he only had 15 left to ship and was hoping to finish them today! So maybe tomorrow they'll be back on.
Cheers Dean, I’ll keep an eye out. By reading that thread it looks like it’s gonna be a bit of a rat race to get the last few, but I’m gonna try for one. Looks like there would be plenty of buyers if you get one and don’t get on with it.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

What's with all the personal attacks towards a customer contemplating returning the watch if he doesn't like it? I get that Eddie is a one man show, and his customers are fiercely loyal, but this is how business works. If you buy something sight unseen and you don't like the product, you return it. Apparently with the Timefactors clientele that constitutes a personal attack on Eddie. I really like some of Eddie's designs (my Speedbird is one of my favourites), but some of his customers are almost as bad as Eddie's reputation for customer service.
After reading these comments, the constant CW bashing over there is not really surprising.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Styling is definitely very Newman Daytona-esque.

Case is pretty hefty at 16mm thick, most 7750 watches seem to be 14-15 so that’s even taller.

How much were these out of interest as there is no price showing, presumably as they are currently not for sale.

I’ve read before about Eddie’s customer service, is it really that bad?
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Arbor22
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Arbor22 »

Thegreyman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:31 am Styling is definitely very Newman Daytona-esque.

Case is pretty hefty at 16mm thick, most 7750 watches seem to be 14-15 so that’s even taller.

How much were these out of interest as there is no price showing, presumably as they are currently not for sale.

I’ve read before about Eddie’s customer service, is it really that bad?
From memory i think they were around £765 (ish), i thought that was petty good value. Very nice looking watch, a couple have come up again on sales corner over on TZUK but went very quickly
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Thegreyman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:31 am I’ve read before about Eddie’s customer service, is it really that bad?
Everything I have ordered has always been dispatched on the day I ordered it. The items that I ordered were correct and worked. I.e. the level of customer service that I expect from every online retailer.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

Thegreyman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:31 am Styling is definitely very Newman Daytona-esque.
It's a direct copy isn't it?
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Personally I think it’s a slab-sided brute of a thing. And the polished bezel seems far to wide in my eyes.

One has just appeared on the TZ sales corner for the second time in as many days! must be close to a record.
Tim
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by EddieTheBeast »

timor54 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:18 am Personally I think it’s a slab-sided brute of a thing. And the polished bezel seems far to wide in my eyes.

One has just appeared on the TZ sales corner for the second time in as many days! must be close to a record.
I think you’re right - lucky I was taking SWMBO to the Station when the sale started!!

1mm or 2mm off the thickness of the case and same off the bezel would have made a big difference! Close but no cigar!!!
Dean
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

I’ve worn my C7 auto chrono today as the Smiths would have replaced it. Decided to stick with the C7 - I like the case too much to part with it yet. The big draw for me with the Smiths is simply the word ‘England’ on the dial. I shall keep looking for my perfect fit watch with England on the dial. I keep looking at Pinion but the lack of any bracelet options always stops me.
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by EddieTheBeast »

TigerChris wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:30 pm I’ve worn my C7 auto chrono today as the Smiths would have replaced it. Decided to stick with the C7 - I like the case too much to part with it yet. The big draw for me with the Smiths is simply the word ‘England’ on the dial. I shall keep looking for my perfect fit watch with England on the dial. I keep looking at Pinion but the lack of any bracelet options always stops me.
Possibly a wise choice for the above stated reasons! But the logo does look good and I can see why you like the 'ENGLAND'! I like the 'LONDON' below 'CHR.WARD' on my C10 Aviator!! In fact I can remember the first time I saw a CW watch, which was on their website, the logo especially with London underneath and Swiss Made at the bottom made me think expensive, quality, style etc!
Dean
Hollis Brown
Junior
Junior

Post by Hollis Brown »

It lacks something aesthetically for me...and I can't quite put my finger on what.
Maybe some texture on the dial?
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

Hollis Brown wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:15 am It lacks something aesthetically for me...and I can't quite put my finger on what.
Maybe some texture on the dial?
Any sense of originality perhaps?