C60 Trident Mk3 Dial Marks (Update)

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
M3tth4w

C60 Trident Mk3 Dial Marks (Update)

Post by M3tth4w »

Hello everyone,

I have been lurking here quite a while and this forum helped me with me decision for the new C60 Trident Mk3 40mm black.

It is indeed a very nice watch. The only thing I have noticed so far that hasnt been mentioned, is that my watch seems to have some very light scratches on the polished dial (I have checked, it is not reflections etc., definitely scratches). They are only visible when the light hits the watch in the right angle (like studiolights, bright sun). One is about 4mm Long and sightly circular and there are only a few.

I have searched the web and found some photos of Rolex Explorers with some similar light scratches. I can try to post a photo of it later.

I think the scratches can be found on mostly all gloss dials because they show even thin scratches very easily. My theory is the majority of people dont even notice these.

My question is if any of you MK3-owners have noticed this aswell?

I am very sensitive to such things and could pay CW for exchanging the dial (as it has to do more with my sensivity than it is anyones fault).

But if all dials have some minor form of this there is no point in doing this and I can live with that.

I am looking forward to your responses, thank you very much in advance.

(Update: Added photos in comments)

Greetings, M3tth4w
Andy-Smith
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 15

Re: C60 Trident Mk3 Dial

Post by Andy-Smith »

Would be good to see a photo if possible.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

I don't have a Trident, MK3 or an older model. Do they come with an exterior AR coating? They are notoriously prone to fine scratches if they do. Still...a new watch should be blemish free. It might be an idea to get some picis up to see what others have to say.
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
danielc

Post by danielc »

I would contact CW to tell them about the issue and get an exchange. That is what their warranty is there for.
M3tth4w

Post by M3tth4w »

Okay guys I took some photos of the scratches I described in my post. I am sorry for the quite dirty glass, I am on vacation and my cleaning cloth is not really helping.

But you can still see what I mean. On the third (it changed the order) picture I marked the general position of the most viewable scratch. On the second picture you can see the dial without the scratch showing. Then it is showed in two different positions.

There are some smaller scratches at other positions to, which leads me to think they are kind of unavoidable.

There is no outer AR-coating for this watch, so it can't be that and the mark does not change its position depending on the angle. That is why I think it is located on the dial.

Have a nice sunday!
Attachments
20190526_114044.jpg
Normal View (Scratch)
20190526_114814.jpg
Normal View (no scratch)
20190526_114914.jpg
Scratch Position
20190526_113924.jpg
Side View (Scratch)
Riddim Driven
CW-watches: 2

Post by Riddim Driven »

I'd be more inclined to get right to Christopher Ward on this, though appreciate the information on this QC flaw on your particular watch. I assume you noticed this on vacation rather than at time of delivery. Regardless, stop wearing it to prevent any further wear, pack it up when you get home & contact CW immediately to see if you can even create a case for repair, replacement, or refund. If their customer service and warranty is anything like they claim, I wouldn't see it as a problem to get rectified.

Good Luck. Nothing worse than receiving a new watch with damage.

RD
AdDaMan
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Re: C60 Trident Mk3 Dial Marks

Post by AdDaMan »

Id never accept that. Can EASILY see it with the naked eye. I'd certainly be sending it back for a replacement if it was mine.
M3tth4w

Post by M3tth4w »

AdDaMan wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 7:58 pm Id never accept that. Can EASILY see it with the naked eye. I'd certainly be sending it back for a replacement if it was mine.
Yeah I am thinking about that. I mean the light has to hit the watch right for you to see it, that is why I did not see it when checking the delivered watch. Otherwise it is indeed impeccable.

I don't know if I would get a replacement as I have worn the watch. It is unmarked and I am not really in the mood for the repair process as it could take some time. On other side there went quite some money into it.
danielc

Post by danielc »

I have 2 C60 MKIIs. First one arrived and seemed flawless until one day I noticed a spec of dust on the inside of the glass. Only way I noticed it was a shadow it casted on the white dial. Eventually however it disappeared and I think it got into the date window.
My second blue MKII arrived with a noisy rotor and did not hold a charge after winding. I contacted CW via phone and had them ship out a new one while I returned the faulty unit. Mind you I am in the US so it was a bit of a pain to ship it back because they wanted me to do it via USPS. I pretty much had to be in touch with them every day to make sure the process was moving along and following up for the refund for shipping it back.
So my general take is that there are QC issues when buying from CW.. It would be nice if they had a distributor in the US as the new MKIII is looking really good. But for now I am going to hold off. Plus I want see if their switch to DHL and issues with duties gets sorted out first.
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

I wouldn't / couldn't live with that but give CW the option to put things right.
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

That’s gotta go back unfortunately.
Should be flawless.
Sadly CW’s QC does fail on occasions,(personal experience), so I’d request a new watch after sending that one back.
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
TP Fit
Senior
Senior

Post by TP Fit »

I agree, it needs to go back. Regardless if it shows signs of wear and even exterior scuffs. It is worn, with the assumption it was made with the highest standards. If the flaws are seen weeks later with just the right light then so be it, doesn't change the fact that it was flawed before it arrived. I would send it back with a replacement and not a fix. I am currently waiting for a fix and in retrospect I wish I had went with the replacement. CW customer service suggested a fix and well this was back in February and I am nearing the month of June for the repair. Lessoned learned. Of course, this is my experience and maybe others have had better experience so just sharing my story.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Well...I'm getting old now, and the eyes aren't what they once were, but I'm struggling to see scratches on the dial. I'm sure if there are any they are much more visible when holding the watch in hand and tilting it. What about the fine lines on the bezel at the 12/13min mark; are they just filaments off of a cleaning cloth? CW have a great guarantee, if you're not happy get it back to them. It would appear that a replacement might be a faster course of action than a repair.
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
M3tth4w

Post by M3tth4w »

strapline wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 1:44 pm Well...I'm getting old now, and the eyes aren't what they once were, but I'm struggling to see scratches on the dial. I'm sure if there are any they are much more visible when holding the watch in hand and tilting it. What about the fine lines on the bezel at the 12/13min mark; are they just filaments off of a cleaning cloth? CW have a great guarantee, if you're not happy get it back to them. It would appear that a replacement might be a faster course of action than a repair.
I think it has somehow to do with the brightness-setting of the device you are seeing it on and the ambient light. When I turn on max brightness on my phone inside I see the marks nearly as good as I see them in real life. They are visible in direct sunlight, the angle decides if visible or not.

Yeah the fine lines are filaments of the cleaning cloth, no marks there.

I have contacted them now and will see what they say, I dont know if it is on me for choosing replacement vs repair, but I will insist on a replacement.

Thank you!
M3tth4w

Post by M3tth4w »

So a little update to my story. I did indeed get a replacement for my watch a half week ago. It was a fast process after the initial two weeks it took to get the return label.

But sadly I did not wear it yet as the brushing on the hour hand on this one created a kind of chamfer on one side of the hand (picture).

According to the head technician this is absolutely normal and within tolerance, which takes me out of options as it is not possible for me to get a replacement for this.

So sadly it seems I will have to go for a return as I dont really want to live with the chamfer on the hand for the price of the watch (looks like a scratch when any light hits the side). Maybe I am just to picky. Which is very sad as I really love the design and the rest of the watch, probably I should just have lived with the marks on the dial... :(
Attachments
20190620_145637.jpg