MKSnato sailcloth straps

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

MKSnato sailcloth straps

Post by strapline »

Have been looking at these straps over the last few days and they look ace. The quality and finish looks first class, and the colourful, contrast stitching is a lovely touch. I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has experience with these straps, I'm certainly looking to pick up a couple. Can anyone confirm if the buckle has a screw pin, there is no mention in the product info?
https://www.mksnatostraps.com/collections/mks-sailcloth
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: MKSnato sailcloth straps

Post by strapline »

Just watched their video review and it confirms that the buckle comes with a screw pin. Damn those straps look good...
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

They look decent enough but unfortunately they are about 15mm too short for me. :(

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

No yellow stitching, no 18mm option. My C6 yellow and Alpina Diver Extreme are not amused.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:22 pm They look decent enough but unfortunately they are about 15mm too short for me. :(

Guy
Wow, Guy...too small? They fit up to 8.5" wrist. No problem for me, Just a fairly standard 7" wrist here. How do you get on with EB straps, they're not the biggest?
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I've bought a very similar strap from iwantastrap.com.

Price is virtually identical, the straps are 110 x 75 so very fractionally shorter than the mksnato ones. The quality is excellent too.

https://www.iwantastrap.com/collections/all

IMG_0314.jpg
IMG_0311.jpg
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Lavaine wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 11:34 pm No yellow stitching, no 18mm option. My C6 yellow and Alpina Diver Extreme are not amused.
If you follow my iwantastrap link below, on page 2 there is a yellow stiched version in 20 & 22mm (I think your C6 is 22m lug width?). The site does say shipping to Canada is slow though due to the Canadian postal service :problem:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

Thegreyman wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:16 am I've bought a very similar strap from iwantastrap.com.

Price is virtually identical, the straps are 110 x 75 so very fractionally shorter than the mksnato ones. The quality is excellent too.

https://www.iwantastrap.com/collections/all
Indeed, looks like a very similar strap, even down to the contrast stitching. I'm quite a fan of rubber straps, as I swim in all my watches, and they're light, too. These sailcloth straps look like a nice alternative.
Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Sun May 26, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adjusted 'quote'
Bahnstormer_vRS

strapline wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:03 am
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:22 pm They look decent enough but unfortunately they are about 15mm too short for me. :(

Guy
Wow, Guy...too small? They fit up to 8.5" wrist. No problem for me, Just a fairly standard 7" wrist here. How do you get on with EB straps, they're not the biggest?
Yup; too small.

MKS state;- 74mm (excluding buckle) x 115mm

As a rule I like 80mm / 120mm or longer and like to wear my straps on the loose side.

Trouble with having a 74mm buckle section is when the buckle naturally sits in the centre of the underside of my wrist, it pulls the watch head around off the top of my wrist. If that makes sense. 80mm - 85mm for the buckle section is perfect for me.

As to Elliot Brown straps, the leather / canvass ones are fine; I use one of the central holes. Their rubber strap, are a tad short, but I use the penultimate hole and remove one of the keepers.

Guy

mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 2:59 pm

Yup; too small.

MKS state;- 74mm (excluding buckle) x 115mm

As a rule I like 80mm / 120mm or longer and like to wear my straps on the loose side.

Trouble with having a 74mm buckle section is when the buckle naturally sits in the centre of the underside of my wrist, it pulls the watch head around off the top of my wrist. If that makes sense. 80mm - 85mm for the buckle section is perfect for me.

As to Elliot Brown straps, the leather / canvass ones are fine; I use one of the central holes. Their rubber strap, are a tad short, but I use the penultimate hole and remove one of the keepers.

Guy

The V2 version on the iwantastrap.com website states they are a little longer, 12.5cm - 8cm, and they have quick release pins, which is a nice addition.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Bahnstormer_vRS

mvlow wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 3:31 pm The V2 version on the iwantastrap.com website states they are a little longer, 12.5cm - 8cm, and they have quick release pins, which is a nice addition.
Cheers Malcolm.

I hadn't got around to looking at those. Decent enough length for me. :thumbup:

Guy

mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 3:39 pm
mvlow wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 3:31 pm The V2 version on the iwantastrap.com website states they are a little longer, 12.5cm - 8cm, and they have quick release pins, which is a nice addition.
Cheers Malcolm.

I hadn't got around to looking at those. Decent enough length for me. :thumbup:

Guy
You're welcome Guy. I just noticed on the FAQ's they say the straps are not real sailcloth, but "nylon embossed sailcloth patterned." I'm not sure if that makes a difference to quality or comfort as I've never worn a sailcloth strap. Also on the MKS web site, they say their straps are genuine sailcloth. I wonder if that is incorrect as the other site appeared to have thought theirs were genuine sailcloth until it was pointed out to them that it is not. The material on both sites looks identical and they are both priced similarly.

Screen Shot 2019-05-26 at 7.45.18 AM.png
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Sailcloth from the 1960’s and earlier might have had the look and feel of what people associate with sailcloth straps e.g. woven canvas or cotton.

Sailcloth has for many years been predominantly produced from synthetic fibres: Dacron, Mylar, Kevlar, Vectran and all sort of other exotic laminates.

So if you want a ‘genuine’ sailcloth strap then some form of carbon fibre is it... albeit maybe with an ‘authentic’ weave pattern embossed onto it.
Tim
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

...and if you just want a well made, nylon, water-resistant strap with bright contrast stitching, then these look good. I also think they would work equally well in a casual or more formal setting.
Ringwood

Post by Ringwood »

Weren't these type of straps common in the early 80's with Breitling Colts and some other divers watches of the period? I've been looking for something like these for a while. Most useful.