C4 Battery Replacement

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

C4 Battery Replacement

Post by PaulJS »

Over the last few weeks several of my quartz watches have experienced expiration of their batteries, one of which being the C4 and another being the Scurfa Diver One.

I would probably have sent the C4 back to CW if it had been the only one, but with the others to get sorted as well I invested in a watch back removal tool and dug out a set of jeweller's screwdrivers purchased from Maplins about 35 years ago!

Scurfa first: unscrew back, take out old battery, pop in new one, ensure rubber seal is in place and lubricated with a judicious quantity of silicone grease and refit case back. Easy as.

Now the C4 and the reason for posting as I thought this may be useful to others.

Using a magnifying glass to actually see the screws I undid the tiny retaining screws and removed the case back. I was then presented with a gold retaining clip sitting across the battery with a small sprung leaf at one end that pokes up and sits against the case back. This is apparently secured at each end by a small screw. After much peering through the magnifying glass I determined that it was only secured at one end by the screw and locates into a rebate at the end where the sprung leaf is.

So, undid the retaining screw and watched the tiny gold clip fire itself across the dining room!!

Luckily we have plain and short carpet so I managed to find it - eventually.

Once retreaved I could see that the clip fits into a little rebate / hole / whatever at one end and then slides under the retaining screw at the other.

It's a bit of a fiddle to get back together as the spring under the battery is quite strong ( hence the clip getting launched in the first place) and you need to hold the battery down, slide the clip over the battery ( having inserted the other end into the hole) and then do the screw up.

In the absence of the correct tools I found that wifey's best eyebrow tweezers were ideal for manoeuvring the clip into position.

I really wish I had taken some pics while apart, but I was too focused on averting disaster at the time!

Anyway, if this avoids one person experiencing that sinking feeling of having just launched a tiny components across the room it will be worth it.

Cheers,

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
AdDaMan
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Re: C4 Battery Replacement

Post by AdDaMan »

I've been there too.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Been there. Launched the screw for the retaining clip across the room the first time I changed my C6 battery. I still haven't found it, and had to ask my watchmaker nicely if she could replace it.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

I doff my hat to you.

I have in the past and now need to replace the battery on my daughter's Michael Kors watch which I'll do myself, but for a CW I'd personally just send it in to them as the price is very reasonable iirc, £20 or so.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
richtea
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by richtea »

Hi Paul

Thanks for the info and well done for the bravery in doing the change yourself :clap:

Recently i took a C4 "Phoenix" to my local jeweler for a battery change and was informed a few days later "we are unable to remove all the back screws .... first one we've encountered like this"
So they didn't even reach the retaining thing inside
CW charged me £22.95 with seals for the job so alls well ..... as a precaution i asked the local jeweler if they could now move all the screws and they can
Note to self when the C4 its next due a battery change .... tell them about the other part of changing the battery :lol: :D

Nice to know these models can be done by owners though

Regards
Rich T
6 x C Ward
Assorted Swiss and
Japanese Quartz/Autos etc ...

Open the pod doors Hal !! :lol:
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by PaulJS »

On the subject of sending it to CW or a jewellers I have to admit that this was my first inclination. I then had to have a bit of a conversation with myself along the lines of 'you have made a living from taking things apart and (mostly) successfully putting them back together again for over 30 years. Get a grip it's just a watch, how hard can it be?!'

TBH it's just the tiny scale of things that makes it a challenge - if a watch was 2 feet in diameter it would be a breeze, albeit a tad uncomfortable on the wrist.

Also, I have 5 quartz three of which are CW. So that's the thick end of £100.

I think it is easy to get spooked by the mystique of what is essentially a very simple operation.

If it all goes wrong it's not like you have just miss-fitted the brake pads on your wife's car (another one of the things that I can't bring myself to pay someone else to do)!!

Cheers
Paul

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Change many a battery, friends and family, as long as it isn’t a press on back, they can be a right nightmare....only thing is stay focused, went to answer my phone half way through with the watch in my hand and the dial moved and one of the hands came adrift :shock:
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by PaulJS »

Agreed, you need a controlled environment to do delicate work, ideally with no distractions.

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I have my Father's old Lorus quartz, with a press on back, that won't stay pressed on any more.

It's been mentioned that I should lubricate the seal with silicone.

Any suggestions, please.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Make certain the case back is not been bent. Then replace the gasket and lubricate it prior to attempting closing. Silicone is good. Do not use Vaseline or lubricants that are petroleum based. These will cause the gasket to deteriorate long term.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.