A place to discuss other watch-brands
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Bremont D-Type

Post by watchaholic »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:29 pm
watchaholic wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:20 pm So, being a bit of a rookie in all things Bremont, tho becoming a huge fan very quickly, I had to look up the supersonic. Wow, the movement/bridge work on that thing is unlike anything I have ever seen. Can someone tell me more?
Starting price is £9,450 inc VAT. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Guy
Ouch! :escape:
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

watchaholic wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:20 pm So, being a bit of a rookie in all things Bremont, tho becoming a huge fan very quickly, I had to look up the supersonic. Wow, the movement/bridge work on that thing is unlike anything I have ever seen. Can someone tell me more?

Guy
And just about sold out.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

FloridaPhil wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:05 pm

Guy
And just about sold out.
The AD in the mall across from my office (not a particularly high end mall at all) has a Supersonic in WG, £17,995 ( :shock: ). It was still being displayed the last time I looked and don't expect anyone to be popping in to buy it.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Generally, I think Bremont are the type of brand that you don’t appreciate the quality on offer until you get one in your hand/on your wrist. There are many haters of the brand out there, but I’d like to bet most have never handled one. I certainly didn’t fully appreciate what they offer until I tried a few on in an AD and then bought my MB2.
WATCHWIZ
Junior
Junior

Post by WATCHWIZ »

That's a crazy price to be fair.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

TigerChris wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:30 pm Generally, I think Bremont are the type of brand that you don’t appreciate the quality on offer until you get one in your hand/on your wrist. There are many haters of the brand out there, but I’d like to bet most have never handled one. I certainly didn’t fully appreciate what they offer until I tried a few on in an AD and then bought my MB2.
I don't know that I was ever in the 'hater camp' but I certainly didn't appreciate Bremonts until I handled a few of them at a Bremont Boutique (NYC). A lot of the watches are not to my taste and some of them are just too high for me. I did find one I liked though and I will have a Bremont on my wrist soon-ish.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

WATCHWIZ wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:00 am That's a crazy price to be fair.
No crazier than many other high end brands, IWC for example have rocketed (relatively) in the last two decades. Limited production meets buoyant demand I guess.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

IWC wants as much for a 3 hand time only as Omega does for a full on chrono. What's up with that???
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

watchaholic wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:41 pm IWC wants as much for a 3 hand time only as Omega does for a full on chrono. What's up with that???
They get it? :lol:
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
WATCHWIZ
Junior
Junior

Post by WATCHWIZ »

H0rati0 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:22 pm
WATCHWIZ wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:00 am That's a crazy price to be fair.
No crazier than many other high end brands, IWC for example have rocketed (relatively) in the last two decades. Limited production meets buoyant demand I guess.

True. But I'd argue IWC are probably in another league up again?
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Above Omega? Hmmmmm
Dwight
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

watchaholic wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:37 pm Above Omega? Hmmmmm
I’m never really too sure about some of these so-called rankings for the luxury watch companies. How does one establish why and in what way one company’s watches are better than another? Accuracy? Design? Materials? That wonderfully amorphous and intangible concept known as fit and finish?

Or is it not sometimes down to price, cachet and general brand perception? Desirability?

I have often wondered whether some brands enhance the general perception of quality by where they position themselves in the market and to whom they pitch their advertising, and the perception of desirability by how easy or difficult they make it for a customer to obtain their products. No names, no pack drill of course. :silent:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
WATCHWIZ
Junior
Junior

Post by WATCHWIZ »

^^Indeed

Where does Christopher Ward fit in to the hierarchy ladder?
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

WATCHWIZ wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:52 pm ^^Indeed

Where does Christopher Ward fit in to the hierarchy ladder?
Well, I think the whole point about ladders is that you can move up or down on them. Hills too, for that matter, and they may well be in the Grand Old Duke of York position.

Long time adherents to the forum will certainly be aware that there is much more discussion these days of certain luxury brands than there was eight or ten years ago. True, a number of those people, myself included, have begun to progress their collections in, shall we say, a more upmarket direction.

Perhaps companies can do same thing, seeking to appeal to a more exclusive or affluent demographic as they develop. I don’t believe that they are where they were ten years ago, nor do I believe that they are currently where they intend to be ten years from now.

But as I am neither omniscient nor prescient, nor indeed possessed of a crystal ball, it will be interesting to see.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

To be sure, many of these aforementioned rungs on the ladder will always be in the eye of the beholder. One mans treasure is anothers trash.
Dwight