C60 Trident Pro Mk3 - First look

Documentation and CW-related information
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: C60 Trident Pro Mk3 - First look

Post by Mikkei4 »

Devarika Woulf wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:47 pm Some great pictures there, Guy! To add to the comparison picture, the 9 hour markers all vary in size as well. The 40mm has the smallest, followed by the 38mm, then the 42mm is the biggest. I agree that the 40 seems to have the best proportions overall but I do think they're all well done. Hopefully we will see more 40 colors soon so we all have our pick.

Looking forward to your review, Iain. Let us know how it compares to your collection as well. Tridents always tend to do hold their ground there pretty well. :)
It's the 3 o'cock hour marker that stands out of me on the different sizes and is particularly noticeable on lume photos where the 38mm marker is virtually non-existent which causes a minor imbalance to my eyes even though I have and preferred the 38mm size in the MkII.

Is the manner of the GMT as it was on the MkII? I presume it is if the same movement has been retained. I can never remember the different terms for how the GMT hand works so please excuse my ignorance.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:38 am
It's the 3 o'cock hour marker that stands out of me on the different sizes and is particularly noticeable on lume photos where the 38mm marker is virtually non-existent which causes a minor imbalance to my eyes even though I have and preferred the 38mm size in the MkII.

Is the manner of the GMT as it was on the MkII? I presume it is if the same movement has been retained. I can never remember the different terms for how the GMT hand works so please excuse my ignorance.
Yes the GMT will work in the same way as the Mark II - and most other GMT''s. The secondary hour hand will move once around the dial every 24 hours and can be adjusted forwards in one hour increments with the crown in the 2nd (date setting) position.
Richard
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

downer wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 3:26 pm
Yes the GMT will work in the same way as the Mark II - and most other GMT''s. The secondary hour hand will move once around the dial every 24 hours and can be adjusted forwards in one hour increments with the crown in the 2nd (date setting) position.
Talking of that, a couple more questions on the GMT if you would be so kind:

1. I assume the date changes when the hour hand (not the GMT hand) crosses 24 hours?
2. If that is so, does the date change backwards if you adjust hours backwards?

My own GMT (an Ulysse Nardin) operates like that making crossing the east-west dateline a breeze in either direction and using the main hands for local time, the GMT for home (or GMT naturally), so I am hoping the ETA 2893 does also.

Many thanks!
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Sorry I don't think I phrased my question well enough as I did already realise the 2 points you've made Richard. I was referring more to the 2 different ways that various GMTs operate with reference to using setting to local and/or home time (which is the techie terms that I can't remember) as has been discussed in other threads but which I can't find now.
downer

Post by downer »

H0rati0 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:22 pm
Talking of that, a couple more questions on the GMT if you would be so kind:

1. I assume the date changes when the hour hand (not the GMT hand) crosses 24 hours?
2. If that is so, does the date change backwards if you adjust hours backwards?

My own GMT (an Ulysse Nardin) operates like that making crossing the east-west dateline a breeze in either direction and using the main hands for local time, the GMT for home (or GMT naturally), so I am hoping the ETA 2893 does also.

Many thanks!
1. I no longer own any 2893-2 GMT's, but I'm fairly sure the date is connected to the main hour hand, rather than the GMT hand. This feeling is backed up by the chart in this thread on WUS... https://forums.watchuseek.com/f5/automa ... 935-2.html

2. I've never tried winding a watch backwards through a date change process. It's not something I'd recommend - from what I've read.
Richard
downer

Post by downer »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:32 pm

Sorry I don't think I phrased my question well enough as I did already realise the 2 points you've made Richard. I was referring more to the 2 different ways that various GMTs operate with reference to using setting to local and/or home time (which is the techie terms that I can't remember) as has been discussed in other threads but which I can't find now.

Here's an explanation I came up with a few years ago...
downer wrote:The Monitoring GMT is very useful for monitoring another time zone whilst leaving the main watch hands on your home zone. On these watches, the GMT hand is set by using the crown in position 1. The hand moves in 1 hour increments when it is being set. In position 2, the main hours/minutes are set as normal and the relationship between the main hour and the GMT hand is maintained. So, if you set the GMT hand as -5 hours from the main hour hand in position 1, this difference is maintained when you set the main hands in position 2.

The majority of mechanical GMT watches seem to work in this way, and the two CW examples (C60GMT and C9GMT) are like this. This is determined by the movement, and of course, the ETA 2893-2 is a common example.

For travellers, this type of GMT is not ideal, although it can still be useful.

The Travelling GMT works in the opposite way. The GMT hand is set with the normal setting mechanism and is linked to the minutes and seconds. The main hour hand is separate and can be moved in one hour increments (forwards or backwards) with the crown in position 1. For a traveller crossing time zones, this is great as it means the main watch hands can quickly be altered to local time, whilst the GMT hand is maintained at 'home' time, and the watch does not have to be stopped to alter it to the local time.

This functionality does not seem to be available below the several £'000 level. Rolex, Omega, Grand Seiko and a few others offer this functionality in mechanical watches. There are also offerings from Alpina and Oris that are more affordable.
Richard
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I have used my GMT in Greece and Cyprus, with a +2 hour difference. I would never be able to cope with leaving the hands on home time and using the GMT for local time – my brain needs my watch to tell me what the time is where I am!

On returning I have turned the main hands back by two hours, though never at a time of day when there was any danger of the date change being engaged. I suppose the safest method would be to wind the hands forward then use the quick change date. It would be a little cumbersome but it wouldn’t actually take long. You could probably do it between landing and disembarking.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

downer wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:38 pm
Here's an explanation I came up with a few years ago...
downer wrote:The Monitoring GMT is very useful for monitoring another time zone whilst leaving the main watch hands on your home zone. On these watches, the GMT hand is set by using the crown in position 1. The hand moves in 1 hour increments when it is being set. In position 2, the main hours/minutes are set as normal and the relationship between the main hour and the GMT hand is maintained. So, if you set the GMT hand as -5 hours from the main hour hand in position 1, this difference is maintained when you set the main hands in position 2.

The majority of mechanical GMT watches seem to work in this way, and the two CW examples (C60GMT and C9GMT) are like this. This is determined by the movement, and of course, the ETA 2893-2 is a common example.

For travellers, this type of GMT is not ideal, although it can still be useful.

The Travelling GMT works in the opposite way. The GMT hand is set with the normal setting mechanism and is linked to the minutes and seconds. The main hour hand is separate and can be moved in one hour increments (forwards or backwards) with the crown in position 1. For a traveller crossing time zones, this is great as it means the main watch hands can quickly be altered to local time, whilst the GMT hand is maintained at 'home' time, and the watch does not have to be stopped to alter it to the local time.

This functionality does not seem to be available below the several £'000 level. Rolex, Omega, Grand Seiko and a few others offer this functionality in mechanical watches. There are also offerings from Alpina and Oris that are more affordable.
Got it. My Ulysse Nardin is of the 2nd type. It has two push buttons that skip the hour hand (and date as necessary) backwards and forwards. There is a jumping hour window for GMT (home).
_ND14409.jpg
While I can still see a place in my stable for the T3 or possibly C65 GMT - both lovely looking watches, looks like my UN will still be pulling flight duty.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Thank you.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Thanks for the detailed review and comparison photos with the original MK1 and the MK2 Guy :clap:

Thankfully you mentioned the case back with the elongated slots, I noticed this only in the CW photos they put up for the individual versions and love the lock of it. I would be concerned of possible dirt getting accumulated there though just from a fussy point of view.

I am very much looking forward to seeing and holding the MK3 in all it's guises at the London GTG.
I am figuring that a 40mm Black/Black may find it's way into my collection at some stage or maybe a 42mm Blue version.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Glad to be of help to you, and others, Ferg.

Not sure when I will be able to add any further photos to this.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
tubs84

Post by tubs84 »

Great review. Has made me want one even more. How much for my soul?
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Subject: C60 Trident Pro Mk3 - First look
tubs84 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:46 pm Great review.
Thanks Toby.
tubs84 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:46 pm Has made me want one even more. How much for my soul?
Well? I've bought your C70 to help you on your way. :lol:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

A red bezel 40mm will be my next watch purchase, if it comes along.
nurunet

Post by nurunet »

Thanks for this thread, @Bahnstormer. Those comparison shots are extremely helpful.