Are import duties still an issue?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
ScofieldReturns
Senior
Senior

Are import duties still an issue?

Post by ScofieldReturns »

Hey guys, I registered an account just to make this topic so hello everyone.

I recently got enthralled by the trident mk3 gmt so went ahead and purchased it; with free shipping/free returns figured I didn't have much to lose.

However looking at old threads I see that as of 2019 import duties have become more common on shipping into the US on watches over $800. And it's not a small fee...DHL wants me to pay $109 import duties..that's 13% of the watch price!

I hesitated between buying the GMT or dive version and went with GMT but I figured it was worth the small upgrade...but that upgrade ended up pushing the watch past the $800 threshold and has now doubled if you add in the import duties lol.

Anyone have any tips, is it possible to circumvent the import duties? Do I really just need to pay it..
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Are import duties still an issue?

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Welcome to the forum.

I'm in UK.

If I buy a watch from a country outside the EU, as I have done quite a few times from the USA, New Zealand and elsewhere, I factor in at the start that I will be due to pay 20% VAT (value added tax) plus variable duty and a Handling / Admin to the shipping company (DHL, FedEx, Royal Mail).

It's what life is about.

If you are in the USA and are buying a watch from the UK you will have to pay your National or State taxes etc. That's life.

Why should it be anything different.

Answer to your question; pay it and enjoy a fine watch.

Apologies if this is a blunt reply to your query. It is not meant to be unfriendly. :wave:

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
ScofieldReturns
Senior
Senior

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:50 am Welcome to the forum.

I'm in UK.

If I buy a watch from a country outside the EU, as I have done quite a few times from the USA, New Zealand and elsewhere, I factor in at the start that I will be due to pay 20% VAT (value added tax) plus variable duty and a Handling / Admin to the shipping company (DHL, FedEx, Royal Mail).

It's what life is about.

If you are in the USA and are buying a watch from the UK you will have to pay your National or State taxes etc. That's life.

Why should it be anything different.

Answer to your question; pay it and enjoy a fine watch.

Apologies if this is a blunt reply to your query. It is not meant to be unfriendly. :wave:

Guy

it's more that the US didn't have to pay import duties while CW delivered via royal mail instead of DHL, so i was actually unaware of the switch. also that the $800 threshold for duties was barely tipped. I debated internally going from $700 to $850 to get the GMT function and decided to do it since it's "not that much money" and now that has been almost doubled by import fees. if i was aware of import duties at this high of a fee i would have factored that in, and may have not made the purchase/not purchased the GMT version. so i have a bit of sticker shock going from the $700 i was originally willing to spend to almost 1k.
WATCHWIZ
Junior
Junior

Post by WATCHWIZ »

To the OP, CW used to have a physical presence in the US. There are alot of US folk who are CW fans/owners, it may be worth emailing CW direct and asking if there are plans to reopen an outlet there again. I get your concern, that's a huge amount to pay and on top of an already expensive outlay. I'm sure CW's response will be more polite too.
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

ScofieldReturns wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:18 am DHL wants me to pay $109 import duties..that's 13% of the watch price!
The duty rate is only about 3 to 4% so probably under $30 for a $850 watch. The DHL fees are the rest of the total charge.

There is no sales tax that needs to be paid.
ScofieldReturns
Senior
Senior

nordwulf wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:52 am
ScofieldReturns wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:18 am DHL wants me to pay $109 import duties..that's 13% of the watch price!
The duty rate is only about 3 to 4% so probably under $30 for a $850 watch. The DHL fees are the rest of the total charge.

There is no sales tax that needs to be paid.
i see the receipt online, it says that import duties are 11% and then there's a $12 DHL fee
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

$12 DHL fee is similar to DHL fees for UK (£12 from memory).

Not that I am an expert, but don't States in the USA have varying levels of duty?

Guy

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

In the USA, import duty is regulated by, and paid to, the Federal government and not by individual states. You may pay a broker or the Postal service, but the actual tax goes to the government. Shipping companies are permitted to charge a fee(s) for collection of the duty tax in order to expedite the process.

The exempt amount for wristwatches is $800 (declared value) and under. Over $800, the entire amount is subject to the duty.

Any individual state sales taxes are the responsibility of the buyer. Guidelines and requirements vary from state to state, but usually require they be reported on your income tax reports.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

ScofieldReturns wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:09 ami see the receipt online, it says that import duties are 11% and then there's a $12 DHL fee
Are you saying the receipt for your completed purchase indicates you have already been charged by CW an additional 11% in duty and the fee from DHL? If that’s the case, one would think you would have been informed of those additional charges before completing the sale?!

Or is the receipt simply letting you know you will be responsible for import duties (possibly up to 11%?) and a fee to DHL?

Either way, I would simply take it as a given that when buying something expensive from overseas, I need to factor in potential import duties.
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

I would also add that if the switch by CW from Royal Mail to DHL has led to a situation where duties and fees are now being collected aggressively (and excessively in the case of DHL fees maybe?), then we need to make our frustration with that known to CW. As in, we came out ahead under the old ways, so please switch back!
Drew
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

OP.

Did you take advantage of the $100 spring voucher offer? That would help would it not?
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Some information in this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51290&hilit=us+duty

In the US you do not have to pay import duty if the value is less than $800. Above $800 then duty is liable on the full amount. DHL charges a fee for handling all the paperwork.
The amount charged by DHL seems to vary and that is part of the problem. The total cost of a purchase becomes unpredictable. I suspect, however, that purchasing in the US and paying duty, DHL fees, etc would still be cheaper than buying in the UK and paying VAT.

You now need to factor in an extra $100 or so on the price. I believe that the US govt. changed some of the rules on import paperwork in 2018/2019 timeframe which has added to the cost of importing items into the US.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

Remember as a purchaser outside the EU you have already benefited from a price that is outside the scope of UK VAT, which means you do not pay the 20% tax that all UK and EU buyers have to pay. That equates to a 16% discount.

Even if we were inclined to do so, anyone telling you to avoid paying the tax would be meaningless because the importer will pay the tax on your behalf and bill you for it. You’re going to have to pay it unless DHL decides not to chase you for it, and they’re not going to do that. So, pay it and enjoy the watch. CW watches offer good value for money, and you’ve saved a little off the price that many of us have to pay.

Edit: it’s not a) just DHL or b) DHL’s fault. They (and Fedex) are paying and collecting the tax on behalf of the respective governments. The variability is the fault of the carrier (though I’ve never been lucky enough that they’ve overlooked my VAT), but the tax collection exercise itself is a result of local tax law.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Rice and Gravy
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by Rice and Gravy »

As a US resident the customs duties would bring the out of pocket costs back up to full retail price if purchased with a voucher and makes it the watch less appealing from a value perspective for me. Still a good value to be sure, but not as good as before not paying duties. Do CW put the full cost of the watch or voucher price as declared value when sending them?
Omega SMP 2254.50
Omega Aqua Terra 8900 Blue
Christopher Ward C60 Trident 300 White
Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date
Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

The price used to charge duty should be the actual price paid, ie after the voucher. You are all right when you refer to the $800 limit. Under that it is considered a sec.321, with no formal entry required. Over $800 and a commercial entry, involving a customs broker is required, so you are probably paying DHL a brokerage fee as well as the 4% duty, as stated by Nordwolf, as a luxury watch vs. the normal 2% duty for goods from a non NAFTA country, Canada/Mexico. For goods manufactured in either of these two countries there is an exemption on shipments under $2500. Being as DHL is an international shipper, they probably act as their own broker just as UPS and FedEx do, where as the post office does not. CW may have been forced to start shipping through a brokerage, but I can't say that with any certainty. As for the sticker shock, I feel your pain, still less than the VAT tax tho. Just please don't blame me...I just work here.....for US Customs that is #-o Hope this helps.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight