New C60 GMT 42mm owner with hacking seconds and GMT hand issue

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
danielboone72
CW-watches: 1

New C60 GMT 42mm owner with hacking seconds and GMT hand issue

Post by danielboone72 »

Hi,

Well I have my newself a used C60 in black see here only paid £450 for it from ebay yeah I know :-). and it comes with the new ratchet strap so cannot complain too much it's still within the 60/60 though not sure these qualify.
Sadly though two issues:

1) the GMT hand doesn't align properly as others have noted and
2) the central hacking seconds feature doesn't appear to be working for me.

trident2.jpg

I was planning on doing a service anyway for the experience to know what CW are like, to prepare for purchase of a C1 or a used C9 moonphase but just not quite so soon.

Someone in another forum suggested have you tried winding it fully? I don't see why that should matter.
Another suggested be sure to pull the crown all the way out, well in position 1 I get the little grinding feel as I wind it, in position 2 anticlockwise moves the date (only done before 8pm) and in position 3 I can move the hour and minute hands just fine and the GMT hand follows suit but the second hand does not stop.

The manual is vague on what's supposed to happen is it supposed to return to zero? I waited a while two revolutions and that's not happening either.

Is this common? I'd imagine the GMT hand probably got knocked out of position, the seconds hand hacking slightly more worrying.

Thanks for any thoughts inputs
Garmin Forerunner 745 - Sports
C600 GMT Black ChrWard - Travel
Junghans Max Bill Mega Atomic - Business
Linjer Mimalist Swiss Quartz (Kickstarter) - Dress
Bulova Luna Moon 262Khz
GrandDads watch restored
Pulsar Lithium 10 First watch fixed
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: New C60 GMT 42mm owner with hacking seconds and GMT hand issue

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Something is not right.

Have you contacted the ebay seller for their view on the situation?

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

It’s not always easy to spot the GMT alignment from an angle – so if you were able to put up a vertical photo it might be easier. Each minute on the chapter ring equates to 24 minutes on the GMT hand, so your hand should be in line with the fourth minute marker at 22:36. It looks as if it might be a tad too far clockwise but, as I said, not easy to tell from that angle.

As to the hacking, as Guy says there is certainly a problem there.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Something’s definitely not right with the hacking. To check the alignment of the GMT hand, have you tried setting it to the same time as the main time and keep a check on it. From that pic the GMT hand looks roughly half past the hour, which is what the minute hand says. GMT time looks to be set 3 hours ahead of main time. Set them to the same time and see how it looks.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

If, as you state, it’s still within the 60/60 and you have the original warranty certificate that matches the serial number, you can send it back for repair. The great thing about the CW warranty is that it travels with the watch & paperwork, when sold.
Steve.
danielboone72

Post by danielboone72 »

Hi thanks everyone,

Actually my mind is somewhat eased on the GMT function having the idea to make a photo with time at 6pm and dual time at 6pm also it looks alright now to me.
18hoursgood.jpg
With time at 6pm and dual time at 18h
Though earlier it looked out to me but I think that may be due to partial hour syndrome see inline 15 minutes of the hour left.
IMG_20190511_204740.jpg
Previous looking out
Hacking seconds is still a mystery will write to the ebay guy as per Bahnstormer_vRS suggestion and see if it was this way before.

Thanks to every one for responses will let know how situation develops.

Finally video for others it should just stop at position 3. at 6:55 onwards mine doesn't do that.

Bulova Luna Moon 262Khz
GrandDads watch restored
danielboone72

Post by danielboone72 »

Update the man says he never tried it, didn't know it had it. Which seems odd to me, though if it was his first and his Dads say didn't have stopping seconds feature then perhaps I can believe it. Though having seen a few adjusted myself, wouldn't take much observing to see second hand stop.

Doesn't suggest he knows much about watches though. Perhaps some folks aren't that bothered about resetting the time, or keeping an eye on it for knowing when to get it serviced. I don't know slightly worried could be a steep repair bill if it was accidental damage, the guy in question owns an expensive clean BMW and a nice house so doesn't suggest it was mistreated. I don't know, 4-6 weeks for repair I have seen is typical quoted time, will send it in when I get another.
Bulova Luna Moon 262Khz
GrandDads watch restored
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Haven’t you got the booklet with the warranty on the back page? If not, a service will be £99 and the repair may just be the additional price of parts. For example, I was charged an extra £9 odd, for a ratchet wheel repair. ( watch couldn’t be wound)
CW are very reasonable in comparison to other brands.
Steve.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

danielboone72 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:21 pm Update the man says he never tried it, didn't know it had it. Which seems odd to me, though if it was his first and his Dads say didn't have stopping seconds feature then perhaps I can believe it. Though having seen a few adjusted myself, wouldn't take much observing to see second hand stop.

Doesn't suggest he knows much about watches though. Perhaps some folks aren't that bothered about resetting the time, or keeping an eye on it for knowing when to get it serviced.
That's the thing with EBay, you really have no choice but to take everyone at their word and decide to live with it or send it back.
danielboone72 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:21 pm I don't know slightly worried could be a steep repair bill if it was accidental damage, the guy in question owns an expensive clean BMW and a nice house so doesn't suggest it was mistreated. I don't know, 4-6 weeks for repair I have seen is typical quoted time, will send it in when I get another.
I'd expect any watch repair/service by any competent craftsman to spend some time waiting to be worked on and some time being monitored for correct function post-service.
I get the impression that your initial fears re subsiding and everything will be okay.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
danielboone72

Post by danielboone72 »

Hi Steve,

Yes I have the booklet with the warranty page, from reading it would come under movement fault. If it turns out not to be covered, the price doesn't sound so bad anyway.

Thanks tikkathree I'm not too bothered I factored in that it wasn't serviced and was envisaging an extra £150 for service and water seal testing and replacement so it's a clean slate. I figured it would just be coming up for service anyway and **** happens with old watches. Am encouraged to hear replacement parts aren't much and dismantling for lube is part of the course as I understand it.

Cheers,
Bulova Luna Moon 262Khz
GrandDads watch restored
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

When my Tritech 600 developed its fault, it was way past warranty time so I just booked it in for a service and stated that it had a fault. They got in touch and told me what the cost would be and simply charged service plus parts as I said earlier.

As yours is within warranty, I’d be inclined to book a service (for peace of mind) and state that it has a fault. I suspect the repair and parts will be free unless, of course, the nature of the fault can be attributed to miss treatment? Not sure how they would know, unless the watch looks to have been dropped off a cliff!
Steve.