Going to give an MK3 GMT 38mm a try.

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Blackdog
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Going to give an MK3 GMT 38mm a try.

Post by Blackdog »

I have been following all the teasers and the final pictures of the new MK3s.

Many changes, pretty much every design aspect has been revisited.

I'm new to the brand and got my MK2 Blue 600 43mm back in late January, and was a bit worried that the new models would make me regret my purchase. Fortunately not. I still like the MK2 very much. I like the hands and the waves dial. So no regrets. No urges to flip for the new version at all.

But I thought that I could use an affordable GMT for a trip to South America I have in about 10 days. I have a beautiful 16710 GMT Master, but these are becoming too valuable to expose too much, so........

I have just ordered a 38mm MK3 in black/burgundy. Should arrive by Monday I think, so I'll report back my impressions. I opted for the 38 this time because my 43mm MK2 is just on the verge of looking too big, and the new redesigned case should help keep the proportions right on the MK3 38...

We'll see how it looks in the metal.
mattjary
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 25

Re: Going to give an MK3 GMT 38mm a try.

Post by mattjary »

I recently bought a c60 vintage in 38 mm, and it’s quite
Noticeable smaller than the 43 mm, but I like the design and look, you don’t always want a large watch on your wrist.
If you find it too small you can return it under the 60 day returns policy.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

I do really love the new blue but don't feel right in just selling and trading up. The MkII is still a very nice watch, and I do like the waves, hands, and bright blue color. 38mm fit my 7+ inch wrist fine. It has good presence because of the case.

The new red bezel is very striking too and another option. Take some pictures if you can. :thumbup:
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Sad reflection, isn’t it, that you have what is probably the finest travel watch ever made but do not feel you can use it for its intended purpose – travel! :(

My travel watch is the MkII GMT (43mm) and it has been brilliant.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

Received my travel watch for trip next week.

It is definitely a gorgeous watch.

It looks (and wears) noticeably smaller than my 43 mk2. But like mattjary said, you don't always want a big watch on the wrist.
It is also significantly lighter than the MK2.

I also noticed a step up in finishing quality of pretty much everything, which is remarkable.

I like the ghost logo at 12 (only visible when the light angle is right), it adds some detail to the otherwise open space and does not clutter the dial.

A bi-directional bezel would be the icing on the cake, but the improved feel of the bezel action and the true-GMT insert are welcome enough improvements.

I find that I could use a half-link for the bracelet. Now, with the micro-adjust all the way in is marginally loose. But if I remove one more link, with the micro-adjust all the way out is just about right (no room for wrist swelling)...

I also like what they did with the clasp. Very subtle upgrade, but makes a significant difference. The MK2 clasp looks a bit too spartan.

I'm enjoying this watch quite a lot. Given the diameter it has very different proportions to the usual diver's watch, so it looks different.
Andy-Smith
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 15

Post by Andy-Smith »

Yes the 38 MK2 also looks significantly smaller than the 43mm MK2 but you soon get used to it, its just the initial look when you put it on after a break. The MK3 certainly does looks great.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

Glad you like it, and you got it in time for your trip. FWIW I find when you’re travelling, smaller/lighter is better. The 43mm GMT on a bracelet is just shy of 200g. I need to carry a large chocolate bar in my right hand to even things up again. Seriously though, the 43mm is a bit of a beast and sits quite tall, which means there’s more risk of bumping and knocking.

Safe travels!
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
andreasharford
CW-watches: 0

Post by andreasharford »

That red bezel does look amazing. I'm not so sure about the hour hand though, it looks a bit stubby. I'm planning a trip to the showroom too see it in person - hopefully that will change my mind!
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

andreasharford wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 5:44 pm That red bezel does look amazing. I'm not so sure about the hour hand though, it looks a bit stubby. I'm planning a trip to the showroom too see it in person - hopefully that will change my mind!
We'll, even if you don't love the hands at first, provided that you don't completely hate them, there's still a lot more to love in the new design.

It's a different watch almost !
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Real nice looking! I heard even the ceramic got improved too but you can't really tell from the media so much. Your pictures make me want one. :lol:

I must ask: Does the date window still look good without any applied markers surrounding it? It looks a bit bare in pictures but sometimes those things make more sense in person.

Joseph.
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

Devarika Woulf wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:29 am I must ask: Does the date window still look good without any applied markers surrounding it? It looks a bit bare in pictures but sometimes those things make more sense in person.
I was also kinda missing the applied frame on the date window when I saw the teasers.

But IRL it's fine. I think the lightly framed new version works well with the black background date wheel. The metal framed window works better with a white date wheel, IMO.
scaglifr

Post by scaglifr »

What I would love to see is mark2 hands and face in the slimmer / smaller mark3 case. Shall not hold breath though :(
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Thanks. I'll be keeping my blue MkII but if they don't expand the 40mm options I may give the red 38mm a try in the future! :wave:

Joseph.
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

Devarika Woulf wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:01 pm Thanks. I'll be keeping my blue MkII but if they don't expand the 40mm options I may give the red 38mm a try in the future! :wave:
Yes, it looks like the 40mm woild really be a popular choice... but CW seem to be rather cautious with the model.

Frankly, keeping three sizes across the line looks like a pain.

Considering that they re-designed the 43mm down to 42mm, wouldn't have it been a better idea to re-design the 38mm up to 39mm and be done with just two models ?

Too late for that now...
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Blackdog wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:35 pm
Devarika Woulf wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:01 pm Thanks. I'll be keeping my blue MkII but if they don't expand the 40mm options I may give the red 38mm a try in the future! :wave:
Yes, it looks like the 40mm woild really be a popular choice... but CW seem to be rather cautious with the model.

Frankly, keeping three sizes across the line looks like a pain.

Considering that they re-designed the 43mm down to 42mm, wouldn't have it been a better idea to re-design the 38mm up to 39mm and be done with just two models ?

Too late for that now...
I can't help asking myself does 2mm make that much difference to customer choice of case size?

If it's insignificant to produce different size cases of the same model (I can't believe that's so as many components have to change) well fair do's but I think customer perception of comfort/fit/presence is not just about sheer size but shape, design of lugs, depth of case back, bezel vs face etc.

I would expect a manufacturer to offer a clear difference so thought of the old 38/43 as two different watches - compare the Rolex Datejust that comes in 36 and 41 (yeah I know they also do 28 and 31 aimed at ladies) so I would have thought 38/42 would be about ideal given the slimmer profiles.

But we'll see if the 40mm establishes a place without cannibalising the 38 and 42 ie increases the overall audience. Of course, they could just produce the 40......
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)