Questions - Chat with Chris - Manchester GTG - 27th April 2019

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Questions - Chat with Chris - Manchester GTG - 27th April 2019

Post by Caller »

I wonder how eco friendly it is to fly the bamboo to wherever these eco friendly boxes are made?
'Tis me
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:51 pmI’m told that somewhere in the wilds of New England there is a garage constructed entirely from Christopher Ward watch boxes.
I kept all my 9 CW boxes and paperwork incase I ever want to sell. But I've got so many of the boxes I could make holiday decorations on the wall.... or a cardboard puffin! :shock:
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Caller wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:00 am I wonder how eco friendly it is to fly the bamboo to wherever these eco friendly boxes are made?
Probably about the same as the non eco friendly material used in the current boxes. :wink:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

Devarika Woulf wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:49 am
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:51 pmI’m told that somewhere in the wilds of New England there is a garage constructed entirely from Christopher Ward watch boxes.
I kept all my 9 CW boxes and paperwork incase I ever want to sell. But I've got so many of the boxes I could make holiday decorations on the wall.... or a cardboard puffin! :shock:
Same here although, just my opinion of course, don’t like the new shape. Yeah yeah you wear the watch and put the box away but think the cube shape box is far nicer. Still made out of eco stuff.
Boxes are more often kept than thrown away so don’t really get the eco thing.

Puffin? Hidden joke? I’m lost. :lol:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Belatedly catching up with things after a few days doing renovations to the house.

I did tune in for the live stream on Saturday afternoon but gave up after a while due to difficulty hearing what Mike, Peter & Chris were saying, even with the volume in the "Spinal Tap" mode (turned up to 11). The questions from Guy and the floor were clear enough, just the 3 main men at the front were muffled. What I could make out it, it did seem to be an informative day. Thanks to Guy for transcribing many of the questions and answers earlier in the thread.

As for the Trident mk3, what I can make out from the teasers, the info from the GTG and Frank's helpful photos on Horology World, I'm still very much liking the mk3. It's slightly disappointing, if correct, that there is only the one colourway (black/black) on the 40mm on launch and no 40mm GMT. My view is that this will be the biggest selling case size and so surprising that the choice is so limited, albeit that may only be for launch and we might get further variants across all case sizes in the near future.

The new packaging looks fine to me, the Farer I recetly purchased came in a box of similar proportions to CW's new eco friendly packaging. Other watches such as Halios came in a pouch and Dan Henry a watch roll. The traditional large wooden box is fine for an Omega, Panerai etc (and you almost expect it having spent so much!) but I'm fine with the more compact new CW packaging.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

I think the new box design looks really good and is different from the usual square box. It will be much better for shipping watches on straps so they don't have to ship them with the strap fastened into the buckle.

I don't like the current square box as it looks a bit cheap. And it is big and very heavy, about 3 lbs / 1.3 kg including the watch that weighs 200 g. I hope the new box is lighter to make it more eco-friendly with shipping as well. When you sell 20K watches a year and you make the box 1 lb lighter, that is 20,000 lbs savings in weight that doesn't need to be transported over land and through the air. May save on shipping cost as well.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

nordwulf wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:32 pm I think the new box design looks really good and is different from the usual square box. It will be much better for shipping watches on straps so they don't have to ship them with the strap fastened into the buckle.

I don't like the current square box as it looks a bit cheap. And it is big and very heavy, about 3 lbs / 1.3 kg including the watch that weighs 200 g. I hope the new box is lighter to make it more eco-friendly with shipping as well. When you sell 20K watches a year and you make the box 1 lb lighter, that is 20,000 lbs savings in weight that doesn't need to be transported over land and through the air. May save on shipping cost as well.
I agree that the new box is better than the old, even though I have been a little critical about some aspects, it is a step up and hopefully more practical for shipping.

As others, I keep all my boxes so recylability is a moot point.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:36 pm
Jcalder68 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:32 pm One question from me and it is based on a recent scan of the CW site and the absence of availability of 38mm C65 Trident Vintage, 38mm C60 600s (aside from bronze) and 38mm C60 300s.

Question: Will CW continue to produce diver/sports watches in sizes under 40mm, and will there ever be an in-house, COSC movement in this size?

Thanks,

C
Yes; C60 Trident MkIII is being released in 38mm and 40mm, however SH21 will not fit in these cases.

SH21 is a relatively large movement and smallest case size possible is 40.5mm as used in the C1 Grand Malvern.

Guy

Thanks for that update, Guy. Much appreciated.
Hopefully I’ll like the 40mm version with the Sellita movement as/when I order one.
Sorry, who am I mining? WHEN I order one...

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.